Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Venky's or Trillion Trophy Asia

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Which clueless investment speculators would you like to see go down to league 1?

Really sad for the communities these clubs represent but the awful way they are being run would only be poetic justice for the owners!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Venky's.

They're probably wondering why Chelsea and Man Utd haven't turned up and Ewood Park this season.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Trillion - would be karma for sacking a decent manager and because I'd feel sad for Gordon Greer if he got relegated- he deserves better.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Trillion, on the basis that relegation to the Championship has probably already lost Venky's a shitload of their initial investment, and I'd like to see Trillion lose a big chunk of theirs. The idiots.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Probably the most clueless sacking in many a season!
Once again let's not lose sight of the fact they sacked a manager who was openly touting himself to other clubs.
Had they not taken control of the situation Rowett was off anyway.

Sure the Trillion's followed that decision with the stupidest of appointments EVER (not even hindsight talking) for which they deserve relegation, but a December clean break from a manager desperate to leave wasn't clueless, just everything else.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Once again let's not lose sight of the fact they sacked a manager who was openly touting himself to other clubs.
Had they not taken control of the situation Rowett was off anyway.

Don't agree - they acted too hastily.

I've no idea of all the ins and outs but there was uncertainty over the future of the club, I'm not surprised that Rowett wanted out. But Trillion could have met with him, found out his concerns, backed him in the transfer market, and taken it from there. Instead, they fired him first and asked questions afterwards.

Yes, they made a clueless appointment but not sure many appointments would have been any better - they already had a decent manager, why make a change for the sake of it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, they made a clueless appointment but not sure many appointments would have been any better - they already had a decent manager, why make a change for the sake of it?
I guess they thought any team wanting him would be making there move as January approached.
Better to act on their own terms than playing catch up.

but not sure many appointments would have been any better are you sure about that?

It's tough to think of an appointment that would have been worse.

Again that's not in hindsight everybody who voiced an opinion, at the time, probably including yourself said it was a ridiculous decision.
Any number of available managers would have seen Birmingham comfortably to mid table, accepting the fact they were punching above their weight.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
but not sure many appointments would have been any better are you sure about that?

Yeah, Rowett's clearly a decent manager. You name someone who was a) better than him b) available in December and c) likely to want to go to a mid-table Championship club. Pearson maybe ... but he'd just been sacked by a club lower down (and comes with his own baggage).

I struggle to name someone who'd be better than Rowett so I'm interested to know who you have in mind

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, Rowett's clearly a decent manager. You name someone who was a) better than him b) available in December and c) likely to want to go to a mid-table Championship club. Pearson maybe ... but he'd just been sacked by a club lower down (and comes with his own baggage).

I struggle to name someone who'd be better than Rowett so I'm interested to know who you have in mind
There's the confusion, you're asking who would have been better than the clueless appointment, not the previous manager:-

Yes, they made a clueless appointment but not sure many appointments would have been any better

In answer to that I'd say appointing my mum's 3 legged cat, who died a few years ago, would have been better than Zola.

Appointing a manager comparable to Rowett, would have needed more than a shovel and access to her old back garden.

It was widely reported at the time Rowett was off no matter what, we can all understand why.
Just because the end result was spectacularly stupid it doesn't make the process of getting to that point wrong.

Had they appointed the likes of Pearson, Warnock or nipped in for Holloway, they wouldn't be so laughable now.
The drop off from Rowett wouldn't have been so huge and the slump wouldn't have been so bad, the pointing and laughing wouldn't be so loud.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's the confusion, you're asking who would have been better than the clueless appointment, not the previous manager:-

I think the fact that I called Zola 'clueless' would have been enough of a hint that I wasn't saying better than him.:smile:

But I don't think it's true to say that Rowett was off 'regardless' - he was sacked in December and got a new job in March, three months later, that doesn't suggest to me that he had a new job lined up. And, as clubs tend to be reluctant to buy a manager out of his contract, I don't believe he'd have gone to Derby if he'd stayed at Birmingham.

And just like I think that Birmingham couldn't have done better than Rowett, where could he have gone - in December - that was better than Birmingham? There were no vacancies in the seven teams above him and a team below that would have paid a good screw - Villa - had just replaced their managers. Norwich is possible but they'd only just started their bad run and their board was not trigger-happy.

The fact that it took so long to find another gig suggests that he wasn't going anywhere in a hurry

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think the fact that I called Zola 'clueless' would have been enough of a hint that I wasn't saying better than him.:smile:

But I don't think it's true to say that Rowett was off 'regardless' - he was sacked in December and got a new job in March, three months later, that doesn't suggest to me that he had a new job lined up. And, as clubs tend to be reluctant to buy a manager out of his contract, I don't believe he'd have gone to Derby if he'd stayed at Birmingham.

And just like I think that Birmingham couldn't have done better than Rowett, where could he have gone - in December - that was better than Birmingham? There were no vacancies in the seven teams above him and a team below that would have paid a good screw - Villa - had just replaced their managers. Norwich is possible but they'd only just started their bad run and their board was not trigger-happy.

The fact that it took so long to find another gig suggests that he wasn't going anywhere in a hurry
Maybe or maybe the compensation deal wasn't instantly forthcoming.

A quick glance through this, http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/revealed-birmingham-sacked-gary-rowett-9463699

has

Twelve months ago, the manager was pursued by Fulham. Acting chief executive Panos Pavlakis pulled off a coup in persuading Rowett's backroom staff to stay. And then the manager himself, increasing his relatively low wages three-fold with a new contract.

But the deal had left a nasty taste in Pavlakis's mouth. He didn't much like the way the situation had been handled. More of that, later...

...Rumours that both Wolves and Derby County spoke to Rowett remain just that. However, it is known that QPR's overtures, prior to Ian Holloway's appointment, led to friction behind the scenes at St Andrew's.

Only Pavlakis knows to what extent he had been irritated by Rowett's stance.

It is rumoured that an itch became a scratch and that the relationship between manager and director had led to friction.

Again, my point comes as a reply to - Probably the most clueless sacking in many a season!

I don't agree with that, even if everything else has been clueless.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Maybe or maybe the compensation deal wasn't instantly forthcoming.

A quick glance through this, http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/revealed-birmingham-sacked-gary-rowett-9463699

has

Twelve months ago, the manager was pursued by Fulham. Acting chief executive Panos Pavlakis pulled off a coup in persuading Rowett's backroom staff to stay. And then the manager himself, increasing his relatively low wages three-fold with a new contract.

But the deal had left a nasty taste in Pavlakis's mouth. He didn't much like the way the situation had been handled. More of that, later...

...Rumours that both Wolves and Derby County spoke to Rowett remain just that. However, it is known that QPR's overtures, prior to Ian Holloway's appointment, led to friction behind the scenes at St Andrew's.

Only Pavlakis knows to what extent he had been irritated by Rowett's stance.

It is rumoured that an itch became a scratch and that the relationship between manager and director had led to friction.

Again, my point comes as a reply to - Probably the most clueless sacking in many a season!

I don't agree with that, even if everything else has been clueless.

But none of that suggests that Rowett was angling for a move. Indeed, it suggests that he'd been interested in a vacancy at Fulham but he'd been mollified by an increase in wages. All that report seems to indicate is that Birmingham weren't happy with Rowett, not the other way round ... and that's a long way from stating that he was looking to be off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But none of that suggests that Rowett was angling for a move. Indeed, it suggests that he'd been interested in a vacancy at Fulham but he'd been mollified by an increase in wages. All that report seems to indicate is that Birmingham weren't happy with Rowett, not the other way round ... and that's a long way from stating that he was looking to be off.
Yes you may well be right, Maybe Rowett wanted to stay and the board were being paranoid.
Although I find it hard to believe this was all one way traffic, esp with only 4 teams mentioned a Rowett now employed by 1 of them.

C'est la vie, on the upside it's very rare for everybody to be proven right.
So for that reason appointing Zola and diving into relegation Trillion should be applauded.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Trillion Twats Asia for me - absolutely idiotic behaviour from day one. Humiliation is all that they deserve. And I'd back the Birmingham fans all the way in telling them exactly what they think about them!

Venky's I agree are not much better, but they've already had a fair bit of relegation and mockery. Besides, there's always next season...............................

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Trillion Twats Asia for me - absolutely idiotic behaviour from day one. Humiliation is all that they deserve. And I'd back the Birmingham fans all the way in telling them exactly what they think about them!

Venky's I agree are not much better, but they've already had a fair bit of relegation and mockery. Besides, there's always next season...............................

Yup. This is exactly my view too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd forgotten about Brum's previous owner:-

TTA’s buyout ends Carson Yeung’s seven-year ownership of the club which saw them win the League Cup in 2011 but also relegated from the Premier League the same year. Yeung was jailed in 2014 having been found guilty of money laundering.

After that I'm sure many Birmingham fans were pleased to see Trillion, poor buggers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here