Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hudds to hand 'arry a lifeline?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Huddersfield head coach David Wagner: "You cannot imagine how big this achievement is. The journey marches on into the play-offs.
"We will now make the right decisions in the next two games to keep everybody fresh for the play-offs"

A bit like when MASSIVE rested players ahead of playing us in the Play Off semis then.
Sounds like three points for Birmingham on Saturday.
#integrity

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
not sure what the #integrity hashtag is all about. We would have done exactly the same in that Hudds need to get a couple of players fit and rest a couple of players to be ready for the play offs.

I assume you will use the same hashtag at our sending out a reduced strength in the cup games this year?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
If the HMRC Newcastle ?West Ham investigation goes deeper , they may be playing for second spot . so can they afford not to win !#

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The play offs are intrinsically unfair on the third place team. After last years heart break for us(and similar heartbreak for those third place teams who didn't make it) wasn't there discussions regarding the format? The best I saw was that third goes directly to Wembley thus giving time after the final games to recover, while 6 plays 5, the winner plays 4 for the right to play 3 for the big prize. This gives a distinct advantage to the teams based on finishing order , rather than the current format that punishes the third place team

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
The play offs are intrinsically unfair on the third place team. After last years heart break for us(and similar heartbreak for those third place teams who didn't make it) wasn't there discussions regarding the format? The best I saw was that third goes directly to Wembley thus giving time after the final games to recover, while 6 plays 5, the winner plays 4 for the right to play 3 for the big prize. This gives a distinct advantage to the teams based on finishing order , rather than the current format that punishes the third place team

The Ryman league have a much fairer and quicker arrangement for play offs IMO .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That was muted some time ago, possibly by PB, and seems to be a much fairer way of rewarding the team that did best in the league and giving the others a chance.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
not sure what the #integrity hashtag is all about. We would have done exactly the same in that Hudds need to get a couple of players fit and rest a couple of players to be ready for the play offs.

I assume you will use the same hashtag at our sending out a reduced strength in the cup games this year?

Edited:
I did put a lovely comment in return, but changed it as I didn't want to spoil my mood by arguing over something pointless. Have a nice day x

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Are the rules not changing next season with regard to play-offs ?... in that the 3rd placed team go directly to Wembley...

Im sure it was going to be voted in..

mothy

Dec 30, 2012

6 should play 5 in a one off at a neutral venue (say Wembley)

Then the winners play 4 in a one off at natural venue (say Wembley) & then final game at Wembley = fa are happy

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

It should be based on the Aussie system, adopted by RL SuperLeague.

All of these as one-off matches (not two legs):

a) 3rd v 4th - winner to Wembley final, loser gets second chance in the second round match below
b) 5th v 6th - winner to second round, loser out
c) second round: winner to Wembley final, loser out

Not only is that fairer, but there is motivation for play off sides to finish as high as possible. Why is that so difficult?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
It should be based on the Aussie system, adopted by RL SuperLeague.

All of these as one-off matches (not two legs):

a) 3rd v 4th - winner to Wembley final, loser gets second chance in the second round match below
b) 5th v 6th - winner to second round, loser out
c) second round: winner to Wembley final, loser out

Not only is that fairer, but there is motivation for play off sides to finish as high as possible. Why is that so difficult?

Yes, this is the winning formula

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
This sounds much better and think it is a lot fairer. How many time I wonder has a team sneaked into 6th in the dying moments of the season?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Debates about the playoffs aside, I think even if Huddersfield drop their entire first 11 we should remember that Birmingham are, well... shit.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Debates about the playoffs aside, I think even if Huddersfield drop their entire first 11 we should remember that Birmingham are, well... shit.

Huddersfield then win anyway but get a points deduction for fielding a weakened team.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here