Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car battery/alarm problem

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Ok, as NSC has the answer to everything, I have a silly car issue.

I was in hospital for a while and while I was in, my car battery went flat - not enough charge to open the doors with the remote key. I can unlock the doors with the manual key and open the bonnet. When I connect the battery charger the alarm then goes off.

I've been through this before and googled something and got a simple answer which turned the alarm off in this scenario, but I can't remember what it was or what I googled. It's a Merc SLK, if that helps (I know nothing about cars)

Any ideas ?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
why not remove the battery from the vehicle then recharge the battery ?
you could even remove the terminals from the battery thus disconnecting then connect the charger without removing the battery

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
When I had this problem with my old BMW the alarm would start to go off once I reconnected the battery but was silenced by unlocking the doors using the remote which then reset the security/alarm system.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
When I had this problem with my old BMW the alarm would start to go off once I reconnected the battery but was silenced by unlocking the doors using the remote which then reset the security/alarm system.

Ithink this will also work for the Merc.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Was easy in the end - I knew it would be. Attached battery charger and the alarm went off, then put the remote key in the ignition and hey-presto the alarm is silenced. Battery is now charging - I hope it's not knack'd, we'll see. Serves me right for being in hospital !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here