Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Class Sport Based in Brighton and Hove

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
At last we have the Albion back at top tier level.

What about other sports?

Sussex County Cricket at Hove now at County Level two.

Dog racing at Hove.

Horse racing at Brighton.

Brighton Bears basketball moved to Worthing then returned to Brighton before folding in 2006.

Brighton Tigers ice hockey folded in 1965.

Brighton FC rugby union is in London One South at level six in the pyramid.

Brighton B52s American football moved to Crawley and became Sussex Thunder moving back to Brighton Rugby Club in 2013.

My point is that we have a great variety of sport in the city but not much in the top flight. I could see ice hockey return if the new stadium can be built at Black Rock but what hope is there for other sports in Brighton and Hove?

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Sussex CCC are heading in the wrong direction :down:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Sussex CCC are heading in the wrong direction :down:

I'm afraid you're right but the County Ground is a great facility centrally located and I'm sure they'll be back in the very near future if not this season.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
At last we have the Albion back at top tier level.

What about other sports?

Sussex County Cricket at Hove now at County Level two.

Dog racing at Hove.

Horse racing at Brighton.

Brighton Bears basketball moved to Worthing then returned to Brighton before folding in 2006.

Brighton Tigers ice hockey folded in 1965.

Brighton B52s American football moved to Crawley and became Sussex Thunder moving back to Brighton Rugby Club in 2013.

My point is that we have a great variety of sport in the city but not much in the top flight. I could see ice hockey return if the new stadium can be built at Black Rock but what hope is there for other sports in Brighton and Hove?

Premier League Darts at the Centre, don't forget.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Squash.

Coral Squash Club Hove currently has:
England boys U19 no.1
England boys U13 no.1 and no.4
England girls U19 no.3
3 of these players represent England at international level.
Sussex also has other highly ranked players representing the county and England.

Sussex have been winning numerous inter-county tournaments at various levels.

Chichester will play in the semi finals of the Premier Squash League away to Nottingham in May.

Squash is alive and kicking in Sussex!

Oct 25, 2003
I've been intrigued for a while about our BASEBALL side based at waterhall- has anyone been to watch them? are there any facilities for spectators?

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Does that compare with Lakeside etc?

There are some BDO purists on here, but I would have to say that the PDC Premier League Darts line up of Michael van Gerwen, Adrian Lewis, Gary Anderson, Raymond van Barneveld et al appearing at The Brighton Centre beats Lakeside by some distance and is as good as you're going to see in the world championships at Alexandra Palace.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

If you want to count Worthing as part of urban Brighton, the Raiders are in level four (although about to be relegated to level 5)

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
There are some BDO purists on here, but I would have to say that the PDC Premier League Darts line up of Michael van Gerwen, Adrian Lewis, Gary Anderson, Raymond van Barneveld et al appearing at The Brighton Centre beats Lakeside by some distance and is as good as you're going to see in the world championships at Alexandra Palace.

Not exactly 'based in Brighton'. It's merely a venue for visiting professionals.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Sussex CCC need a complete shake-up.
Nice bloke that Luke Wright is, he is not a Chris Adams and should not be Captain.
Our batting has been very poor for years, aside from Ed Joyce.
The Goff has kept us in games for the past few years with his bowling but neither he or Joyce will be here shortly.
No spin bowlers of any quality on the horizon.
Apart from that sitting pretty. :facepalm:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I've been intrigued for a while about our BASEBALL side based at waterhall- has anyone been to watch them? are there any facilities for spectators?

I've seen them training but it was a few years ago now - there were no bleachers at the time but hopefully hints have improved since then.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not exactly 'based in Brighton'. It's merely a venue for visiting professionals.

Maybe. It's taking place in Brighton though as it has done before, it's on The PDC Premier League Calendar, and I'd hazard a guess it's TV audience and local interest would be considerably bigger than tonight's racing from Brighton, which is also a venue for visiting professionals - jockeys and trainers etc.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
If you want to count Worthing as part of urban Brighton, the Raiders are in level four (although about to be relegated to level 5)

I've been meaning for a while to get out to watch the Raiders but it's quite awkward to get to as I don't have a vehicle at present.

I'm not really counting them as B&H though.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Used to have a women's tennis tournament take place in Brighton indoors towards the end of the season. Seem to remember Steffi Graf and Jana Novotna both won it before it got axed in the 1990s.

British Open snooker took place at the Brighton Centre a few times in the 2000s. With other British based tournaments taking place at sports stadia (Champion of Champions at the Ricoh Arena for instance) not inconceivable that a tournament of some kind could be played at the AMEX in the future.

Tour de France passed through once and back in the 1990s there was the short-lived Wincanton Classic cycling race.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here