Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

French presidential election.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A bit unfair. Anyone who is politically-motivated enough to call themselves a Brexiteer will almost certainly also be interested in European politics and the possibility of another major country leaving the EU.

Why? Europe is yesterday. Do they want to join with a Le Penn France?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I have expressed no view on here

Sorry, I just took from your post that you felt I had not judged her correctly because my view was based on what she has said.

It did kind of sound like you felt there were other things she sould be judged on. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

larus

They are ignorant of human migration since year dot, bless their little nationalistic hearts.

And surely since year dot when all this migration has been taking effect, when the people migrating into an area already occupied, this has often been a cause of conflict, or is all this 'fighting' stuff just 21st century crap?

Sorry if that's a piss-take, but there is a problem with immigration as cultures around the world are different and mass immigration often leads to tensions. Ignoring basic realities (that people tend to be racist as is evidenced in many societies around the world) is part of the problem. Immigration/emmigration is fine, but when local communities are overwhelmed by immigrants it does have knock-on effects.

But the main cause of immigration problems are not race but religion. That's the reality IMO. We have high levels of Asians, Blacks and Europeans in this country. Yet the main problems appear to stem from religion and not nationality.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Well I've never heard that, that's essentially global segregation. The impression I get is that people are against policies which encourage large numbers of people to relocate to wealthier countries because those countries can often struggle to integrate and take care of those kinds of numbers, especially if there are significant cultural differences involved. - This seems to me to be true, do you think I'm racist?

Of course not. I'm genuinely not trying to insinuate anything nor do I think you're a racist. I agree that immigration should be controlled and not out of fear but to make it better for everyone all round.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
And surely since year dot when all this migration has been taking effect, when the people migrating into an area already occupied, this has often been a cause of conflict, or is all this 'fighting' stuff just 21st century crap?

Sorry if that's a piss-take, but there is a problem with immigration as cultures around the world are different and mass immigration often leads to tensions. Ignoring basic realities (that people tend to be racist as is evidenced in many societies around the world) is part of the problem. Immigration/emmigration is fine, but when local communities are overwhelmed by immigrants it does have knock-on effects.

But the main cause of immigration problems are not race but religion. That's the reality IMO. We have high levels of Asians, Blacks and Europeans in this country. Yet the main problems appear to stem from religion and not nationality.

Just while I wait for the kettle to boil for my Ovaltine, are you suggesting concentration camps?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Sorry, I just took from your post that you felt I had not judged her correctly because my view was based on what she has said.

It did kind of sound like you felt there were other things she sould be judged on. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

Happy to say it again for you. History has proven that everyone has a responsibility to try and see beyond public statements, to make a personal judgement on the person running for public office. People have led very sheltered lives and have not studied history well if they will only take words at face value. I cannot coach you. :shrug:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just while I wait for the kettle to boil for my Ovaltine, are you suggesting concentration camps?

I think you're being facetious. There's many things that can be done. Fairer distribution of immigrants would avoid ghettos, the shock-factor on the local culture and strains on services. It also helps when immigrants are able to understand the culture they are moving into, encouraged to mix as much as possible and able to speak English. None of it remotely racist, none of it extreme.

larus

WTF are you on about? You stated the migration had been going on since year dot. I pointed out that it's not been peaceful historically. I then stated that the main cause for tensions we are seeing now is religion (Islam), so it's not racist/nationalistic.

And from that you can jump to accusing me of suggesting concentration camps. Wow, what have you been smoking tonight?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Of course not. I'm genuinely not trying to insinuate anything nor do I think you're a racist. I agree that immigration should be controlled and not out of fear but to make it better for everyone all round.

I completely agree, I think maybe you are including too many people in what you are saying is racist though. I mean what is the difference between what we both agree on and what most people who are labelled far right believe?

Unless you believe that they are for some kind of global segregation? Like I said, I've not heard that before from anyone.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Happy to say it again for you. History has proven that everyone has a responsibility to try and see beyond public statements, to make a personal judgement on the person running for public office. People have led very sheltered lives and have not studied history well if they will only take words at face value. I cannot coach you. :shrug:

I get what you are saying, don't take words at face value. I agree. If I did that I would have loved Obama, he talked the talk, smooth as anything. But I judged him by his deeds and so was never a fan. But since you said this in the context of this discussion I assumed that you felt there were deeds by which Le Pen should be judged? Perhaps you were just making a general point about not taking someone just at their word, especially in politics, I agree with that. Can't find much wrong with Le Pen, in words or deeds as things stand though.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
This 'other parties will gang up on Le Pen' line is a bit daft. If you want Le Pen to win the election, you vote for Le Pen, not the other parties. Being outvoted is not being ganged up on.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
WTF are you on about? You stated the migration had been going on since year dot. I pointed out that it's not been peaceful historically. I then stated that the main cause for tensions we are seeing now is religion (Islam), so it's not racist/nationalistic.

And from that you can jump to accusing me of suggesting concentration camps. Wow, what have you been smoking tonight?

Adolph and Oswald had Jews as a reason for tension. I'd also deny links to that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here