Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early leavers at Manchester City

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Looks as if the Amexit at 80 minutes is similar to the Emptihad for Citeh.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4430442/Man-City-Pep-Guardiola-wants-improve-Etihad-atmosphere.html

One thing I noted at Carrow Road on Friday was that very few fans left before the end of the match, which is probably due to the stadium being in a central position in the city, and so there are no pinch points in terms of getting home if using public transport.

Whilst loathe to do it myself, can understand why people might choose to leave a little early given the delays that can arise leaving the Amex, but are there any ways of addressing the issue?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Looks as if the Amexit at 80 minutes is similar to the Emptihad for Citeh.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4430442/Man-City-Pep-Guardiola-wants-improve-Etihad-atmosphere.html

One thing I noted at Carrow Road on Friday was that very few fans left before the end of the match, which is probably due to the stadium being in a central position in the city, and so there are no pinch points in terms of getting home if using public transport.

Whilst loathe to do it myself, can understand why people might choose to leave a little early given the delays that can arise leaving the Amex, but are there any ways of addressing the issue?
Improve the bridge car park exit by making a walkway for walking fans who stop the egress of cars through the narrow passage. Put traffic police on the lights there as the lights have ridiculous programming. Somehow, don't know where, put another bridge sized car park in the vicinity.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
- Encourage people further to stay after the game; cheap drinks, half price pies etc.
- Some kind of post match kids entertainment in the East, as the gaps appear there most noticeably.
- Improve train service (yea right).
- Improve the bloody bridge car park; i.e. stop the flow of fans crossing the road in front of the bottleneck.
- For all the legitimate and understandable reasons people will now conjure up on this thread in a burst of outrage, and every thread like it in the past, those reasons probably equate to less than half the people who actually leave early. The rest of them are just indifferent knobs, so how do you address that?

Like you said though, for all the wonderful things about the Amex, it is still an out of town stadium and difficult to compare to Carrow Road and others that are (near) central city.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Improve the bridge car park exit by making a walkway for walking fans who stop the egress of cars through the narrow passage. Put traffic police on the lights there as the lights have ridiculous programming. Somehow, don't know where, put another bridge sized car park in the vicinity.
The car park a little further down from the Bridge CP, Southern Water (?) is always empty at weekends.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Relax. We have the best home record in the Championship, so the early leavers do not appear to be affecting the team performance.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Full cash refund given on the day to whoever is still in their seat when the last player leaves the pitch, plus a voucher for a free pie and pint and a £5 club shop voucher, so you can collect and get a free shirt by Christmas.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Move all early leavers to a special 80 minutes only section of the ground that isnt in clear view of cameras. Charge them an extra £10 per game for the privilege

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As well as the park and ride buses have additional buses that just run from the Amex to Brighton station to remove some of the pressure of queuing for trains into town.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
£20 early exit charge and loyalty point deduction

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Some great sensible suggestions here to make it easier to get in and out of the ground at full time. I wonder to what extent the club are actively trying to improve the situation.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Some great sensible suggestions here to make it easier to get in and out of the ground at full time. I wonder to what extent the club are actively trying to improve the situation.

There are actually some very sensible suggestions. I am an early leaver, and it simply does come down to time. The difference between leaving on 87/88 or after 90 minutes can be up to 2 hours. If it's a cold Tuesday night, I've got work at 6am the next morning, my granddad with me and the rest of our group, which can include kids at times, that two hours can make a huge difference when it's usually at the expense of 2-3 minutes of football. Until the club improves the infrastructure so that there isn't such a massive difference when you leave early, people will continue to do so, which is our right as paying customers who have lives outside the Albion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The problem is we're all a bunch of self centred, self important, bloviating ninnies.

The bottom line is the club has over 28,000 people all wanting to do the same thing, at the same time.
The fact that the decks are cleared within 30 minutes, is frankly amazing.

Just not amazing enough for the ingrained self righteous, holier than thou, me me me attitude that sums up the people of Brighton.

Last edited:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

I'm sure the tunnel was discussed in great detail when planning was applied for. I think the cost of expanding was incredibly expensive, and would have an impact on trains for a while, but a separate pedestrian tunnel/subway would be a potential solution.

The scrubland by the Keep could surely be converted to another car park?

More Saturday 3pm games would also help as people would be less likely to be in a rush to head home.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
There are actually some very sensible suggestions. I am an early leaver, and it simply does come down to time. The difference between leaving on 87/88 or after 90 minutes can be up to 2 hours. If it's a cold Tuesday night, I've got work at 6am the next morning, my granddad with me and the rest of our group, which can include kids at times, that two hours can make a huge difference when it's usually at the expense of 2-3 minutes of football. Until the club improves the infrastructure so that there isn't such a massive difference when you leave early, people will continue to do so, which is our right as paying customers who have lives outside the Albion.

Living in NW London midweek games are an absolute pig and as you say leaving just before the end (when I do do it I leave when they hold the added minutes board up and not before) it makes the difference between being home at midnight v 1am so I do get it and of course recognise everyone's circumstances are of course different but I just do not understand it for weekend 12, 3 or 5 pm kick offs.

You say above 'until the club improves the infrastructure'.

Acknowledging the trains are beyond their control and that we're never going to have/be allowed bigger car parks what do you suggest?

I quite seriously think that to some leaving early is nothing but a peace of mind thing and they either hate queueing and/or just have to be the first one on their bus etc.

It's purely a mentality thing and one which won't change ever no matter how easy it's made.

If the club want to be financially savvy about it they could offer at a cost Premium parking , park and ride or train queue that guarantees you're the first to leave the stadium AFTER the final whistle.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Reading all this anyone would think that fans only started leaving early once we reached the Amex. There was always a hardcore of early leavers at the Goldstone and at times at Withdean there were more people leaving the south stand or on the running track than left in the South stand. It's only more visible now because we're in a proper all-seater stadium.

Many years ago I remember a particular match against Portsmouth at the Goldstone. We were a goal down with only a few minutes to go but somehow managed to score twice at the end to win it. Mark Barham got the winner. My mum left early "to beat the traffic" when we were still a goal down and listened to the cheers from the top of Sackville Road, along with quite a few others. However easy it is to get away from the ground there will always be some who want to go early.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Over 800,000 people live within 25 miles of the Amex and fans in this area can get home relatively quickly after a game.

If you have a round trip of 300 miles or more for every home game - you've taken a half day off work yet again for yet another evening k.o. - you've faced the nightmare of the M25 and a other chaotic motorways to arrive just in time - which can be partially closed for night maintenance on your return journey meaning you wont get home until 1 00 am, then I think those fans should be allowed to leave 2 minutes before the final whistle to save 15 minutes getting out of the car parks, with a clear conscience.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here