Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol City fan in peace...with a possible player for you?

Bristolcityfan

Mar 5, 2013
Well, my annual trip to your boards as we are up next for you.

Must start with heartfelt congratulations on your promotion. Takes real spirit to bounce back after the disappointment last year so well. Clearly the best team in the league, and fancy you will be more Bournemouth than Middlesborough next season.

Next week is going to be a funny one. By the time we kick off, you could be Champions, we could be safe. Hope those are both true, and we can just enjoy a good game with no nerves. I suppose par is you winning by a couple or so in this one. Not really a case of us needing a point, as much as avoiding a repeat of the 5-0 we had recently at Preston! Mind you, that was sandwiched in a run of eight games were we have picked up 16 points, so decent end of season form.

We can play really well and complete crap in the same game, including today, so goodness knows what you will see from us. Hopefully for us a better effort than at our place. We went 2-0 at Newcastle for instance and were lucky in the end to get a point. Would happily take a one goal defeat right now if offered, if we are not safe.

Anyhow, you may have to take a risk or two with some players next year. You could do worse in my view than seeing if Chelsea will loan you Tammy Abraham for a season. Been a real pleasure watching him grow and mature this year. Only just turned 19, and sadly to continue to develop needs better than us next year, assuming he does not make the Chelsea squad just yet. Been around a few years myself, and only player I have seen in that time where you looked at him in the same way and thought 'he is going to go far' was a 21 year old Andy Cole at Ashton Gate. Never quite know with youngsters, but if continues to develop will be a real star.

Anyhow, we will pay homage to your achievements I am sure next week. Hope for better, but expect to lose by a couple. Hopefully a party atmosphere for us all. See you shortly!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope that you are safe by next weeks game as it will then make it a better game to watch for us and hopefully you. As regards Tammy Abrahams many on here have suggested him as a loan target for next season to compete with another ex of yours Sam Baldock.

Bristolcityfan

Mar 5, 2013
I hope that you are safe by next weeks game as it will then make it a better game to watch for us and hopefully you. As regards Tammy Abrahams many on here have suggested him as a loan target for next season to compete with another ex of yours Sam Baldock.

Not really followed Sam's form this year to be honest. Got to be honest, would not have seen him as a top league player from my memories of him. Always gave 100% for us, but Tammy will be a premier league striker, if he continues to develop. Easy to exaggerate, but could well go to the very top.

Just got better and better as the season has gone on. Simply sublime today.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/185831-tammy-abraham/#comment-2861300

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fingers crossed tonight the club had a scout in Cadiz to watch Roger Marti slot home his 21 goal of the season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not really followed Sam's form this year to be honest. Got to be honest, would not have seen him as a top league player from my memories of him. Always gave 100% for us, but Tammy will be a premier league striker, if he continues to develop. Easy to exaggerate, but could well go to the very top.

Just got better and better as the season has gone on. Simply sublime today.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/185831-tammy-abraham/#comment-2861300

Sam has been instrumental in what we've achieved this year. We're much more of a goal threat when he plays, he runs defences ragged and he's added goals to his game this year compared to last. He could probably have his own goal of the season montage - scored a number of absolute crackers.

Thanks for posting. Hopefully a decent game next week, us as champs and you safe.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Abraham reminds me of a young Defoe when he was on loan to Bournemouth many moons ago

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Must start with heartfelt congratulations on your promotion. Takes real spirit to bounce back after the disappointment last year so well. Clearly the best team in the league, and fancy you will be more Bournemouth than Middlesborough next season.

Next week is going to be a funny one. By the time we kick off, you could be Champions, we could be safe. Hope those are both true, and we can just enjoy a good game with no nerves. I suppose par is you winning by a couple or so in this one. Not really a case of us needing a point, as much as avoiding a repeat of the 5-0 we had recently at Preston! Mind you, that was sandwiched in a run of eight games were we have picked up 16 points, so decent end of season form.

We can play really well and complete crap in the same game, including today, so goodness knows what you will see from us. Hopefully for us a better effort than at our place. We went 2-0 at Newcastle for instance and were lucky in the end to get a point. Would happily take a one goal defeat right now if offered, if we are not safe.

Anyhow, you may have to take a risk or two with some players next year. You could do worse in my view than seeing if Chelsea will loan you Tammy Abraham for a season. Been a real pleasure watching him grow and mature this year. Only just turned 19, and sadly to continue to develop needs better than us next year, assuming he does not make the Chelsea squad just yet. Been around a few years myself, and only player I have seen in that time where you looked at him in the same way and thought 'he is going to go far' was a 21 year old Andy Cole at Ashton Gate. Never quite know with youngsters, but if continues to develop will be a real star.

Anyhow, we will pay homage to your achievements I am sure next week. Hope for better, but expect to lose by a couple. Hopefully a party atmosphere for us all. See you shortly!
Cheers! If you'd been following NSC regularly you'd see that many of us have already got our eye on young Tammy Abraham! Goo luck with staying up - beating Birmingham on the last day (and sending them down) would do it - and would be good. Nothing against Birmingham personally, but the way their new owners have come in and f**ed up everything, I just want them to go down so that the owners have even more egg on their faces for being so stupid!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Abraham reminds me of a young Defoe when he was on loan to Bournemouth many moons ago
Tammy's about 6 foot taller.

Bristolcityfan

Mar 5, 2013
Sam has been instrumental in what we've achieved this year. We're much more of a goal threat when he plays, he runs defences ragged and he's added goals to his game this year compared to last. He could probably have his own goal of the season montage - scored a number of absolute crackers.

Thanks for posting. Hopefully a decent game next week, us as champs and you safe.

Have to say, I am so pleased to hear that about Sam.

Was always a fan of his and could never fault his commitment and work rate. Glad he has pushed on. If memory serves me, we got him from West Ham after they did not fancy him after promotion. Will be the second time therefore he will have been involved in promotion from this league, and one of those who as a person you really want to be given a go up there, and want to succeed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Was always a fan and could never fault his commitment. Glad he has pushed on. If memory serves me, we got him from West Ham after they did not fancy him after promotion. Will be the second time therefore he will have been involved in promotion from this league, and one of those who as a person you really want to be given a go up there, and want to succeed.
As good as Sam has been this season, he has rather benefited from the club not providing any backup for his integral position.

The main reason we're one win away from being champions is the depth of the quality within the squad.
That's 3, 4 even 5 players deep across all positions except Sam's.

Inexplicably all our wingers have failed miserably when asked to play inside.
While Hemed & Murray are cut from the same cloth.

The difference to the whole team when SB is playing, is amazing.
I'll sure he'll be given chances in the Premier League, we just don't know if he'll be fit enough to take them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Was always a fan of his and could never fault his commitment and work rate. Glad he has pushed on. If memory serves me, we got him from West Ham after they did not fancy him after promotion. Will be the second time therefore he will have been involved in promotion from this league, and one of those who as a person you really want to be given a go up there, and want to succeed.

I agree with pretty much all you say. As has already been pointed out, many of us are extremely keen to get Abraham on loan. Baldock is simply a delight, and such an asset for the team. His work rate and intelligence of movement is simply outstanding, and as has also been mentioned, the goals he's scored this season are something else -- check out a video if you can. That said, I do have serious doubts as to whether he'll be able to make it at PL level. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, because he's such a model pro and he's been pretty integral to our team ethos which is what's differentiated us from those clubs around us. Abraham is a natural goalscorer, and has pace and power, I suspect he'll be able to play on his own up front (which I also think we'll need in the PL).

Can you give a slightly fuller description of him please? And the other thing I'm interested in is about your club:
-- it's rare to see a board stick by a manager; how do you rate Lee Johnson?
-- I fear a tad for your squad, and don't see too much going there in terms of your players. I'd imagine you'll talk about Flint, but is there anyone else (Tomalin is quality, but is unfit) that you have high hopes for?

Bristolcityfan

Mar 5, 2013
I agree with pretty much all you say. As has already been pointed out, many of us are extremely keen to get Abraham on loan. Baldock is simply a delight, and such an asset for the team. His work rate and intelligence of movement is simply outstanding, and as has also been mentioned, the goals he's scored this season are something else -- check out a video if you can. That said, I do have serious doubts as to whether he'll be able to make it at PL level. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, because he's such a model pro and he's been pretty integral to our team ethos which is what's differentiated us from those clubs around us. Abraham is a natural goalscorer, and has pace and power, I suspect he'll be able to play on his own up front (which I also think we'll need in the PL).

Can you give a slightly fuller description of him please? And the other thing I'm interested in is about your club:
-- it's rare to see a board stick by a manager; how do you rate Lee Johnson?
-- I fear a tad for your squad, and don't see too much going there in terms of your players. I'd imagine you'll talk about Flint, but is there anyone else (Tomalin is quality, but is unfit) that you have high hopes for?

To answer your questions in order:

- Tammy. Always been good with as you say pace and power playing off the last defender. A video of all his goals this season would not be that exciting, lots from a couple of yards. Just has that instinct for when to make a run and take a chance. For me, first half of the season was weak up front on his own. Mind you, this consisted of forty yard punts up to him. This is the area of his game that has improved, his hold up play and bringing others in to the game. Need to remind myself he is just turned 19. Not there yet I would say, and still needs to get even stronger physically to make it in the top league, but been able to see him improve almost game by game. Not the sort so far who beats five players for a goal, and for a very high percentage of his goals touches the ball just once. Ought to add he is also just a lovely lovely lad with his head screwed on.

- LJ. Still some of our fans boycotting the club until he is gone so they say. Very very lucky still to be here after our worst run ever of eight straight league defeats. A fair few days logged on fully expecting to see (and hoping!) he was gone. However our rich owner backed him bravely, it is all about results, and we have 16 points from the last eight. Was seen as a real tinkerman. No experience in this league. Hopefully he is learning! If he gets off to a slow start next season, or makes a pile more signings that do not work, fully expect the knives to be out again for him. He has no real good will capital to fall back on to.

- I think our honest expectations were midtable this season. Sold Kodjia for £11m or so, but Tammy obviously has done well, and for us the manager was backed. We spent 3m on Tomlin, a couple on Magnussen (Icelandic Full back), and seven figure sums on two players now on loan to Bury and a Swedish side. Spent about £12m or so all told, on players that are not even making the squad. That was the real frustration amougst fans that LJ could not spot a player worth buying. Ten mil or so on players not in the first eleven.

The last few matches we seem to have gone back to basics, with the core of our promotion side, with only a few new ones in the mix, and are doing better. Central defence Wright and Flint. Do what a solid lower Championship central pairing do. Outside them Bryan and Little. The latter much improved since returning. Most likely our weakest positions, as they are both quite attack minded but not natural defenders. Smith and Paterson in midfield been developing a nice partnership,supported by Pack and Brownhill. I like Pack as a solid pro, but Brownhill for me blows hot and cold. Tomlin on the bench, not injured but as you say, just unfit at this level.

Up front, Tammy obviously, and Taylor, new from Bristol Rovers! Made a difference. Step up for him, but actually reminds me a bit of Sam, in that he works hard up front and makes things happen. Jury still out as still very early days, but hopefully can make the step up.

Our issue, like so many in this league is consistency. We can play lovely football for one half, and then look like a Sunday pub team for the next half. We look weakest when our full backs are ran at on the flanks, we can look very good if we are allowed to pass the ball around at pace looking for the opening. Spine of the side is Flint, Smith, Paterson and Tammy.

I fully expect your midfield to be to strong for us, but it is football, on the day you never know!

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Thanks for kicking Huddersfield in the bollocks at the right time for us.

Not forgetting ending Wolves winning spree just before we played them too.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

You looked at the table?
You're 6 points clear with a far superior goal difference....it's over :)

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Any closer to getting your Johnson out yet? :moo: Presume there is still a lot of ill-feeling towards him despite it looking like you're staying up?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here