Unite Union Elections

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's odd but at the same time it's not a political party - it's a Union.

I'm a member of a Union but have never bothered to vote for the leader. I have however voted for a number of other things because as a member of a Union you get to vote on everything :)

The other 87.8% are far from apathetic, they've joined the Union after all. Who the public mouth piece is somewhat of an after thought.

I think that's the general misunderstanding.

I've been in a mass meeting where the leader put something forward and the members voted for something else :)

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It just seems that the member do not care what happens in their life and who makes the decisions I would have expected a much larger % turnout.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It just seems that the member do not care what happens in their life and who makes the decisions I would have expected a much larger % turnout.

As a Union member i pay my fees and expect help when i want/need it,i suppose i don't really care who is in charge,i have enough else going on to worry about.....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Not in my experience. It's somewhat different. Just to reiterate it isn't like voting in an election.

You are a member of the Union.

My Union is as centre ground as you can get and isn't even affiliated with the Labour Party. I couldn't even tell you who was in charge now.

What I do know though is

1) They negotiate fairly and pragmatically to make sure pay rises are fair. What's interesting in my case is that people much younger and earning far less than me benefit more even though the majority aren't members of the Union. I'm comfortable with that.

2) If I need legal advice I know where to go.

I joined because of point 2 on the advice of a solicitor. I had an experience at a previous employer where they made a complete #### up of restructuring. I never lost my job but the practices were border line illegal. Simply I was placed under consultation but was unable to attend meetings because I was asked to worked in another part of London to work (to help sort out a crises) and HR refused to travel to meet me :)

They also miscalculated a colleague's redundancy, He was very happy with the amount and "decided" to to take it. They then went back to him just before he left and admitted someone had buggered up the formula in Excel.

I've got load of stories like that so joined the Union as an insurance policy.

Have I been in strike ? Never ... Have I voted for the Leader ? Couldn't tell you who they are.

My dad was a small business owner not unlike your experience of being a landlord. But that's a world away from being a member of staff in very large international companies. He never understood my membership but then again he never understood my experience either.

I even know a few quite senior management who are actually members quietly. It's often no different from Private Members Clubs or even the CBI.

.. or going on a march to get the Amex. What percentage of the current crowd did that ?

Last edited:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I'm a unite member but never gonna vote for an ex headmistress of Grange Hill

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
As a Union member i pay my fees and expect help when i want/need it,i suppose i don't really care who is in charge,i have enough else going on to worry about.....

As a citizen of the UK I pay my taxes and NI and expect help when I want/need it, I suppose I don't really care who is in charge, I have enough else going on to worry about......

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
As a citizen of the UK I pay my taxes and NI and expect help when I want/need it, I suppose I don't really care who is in charge, I have enough else going on to worry about......

Clearly not to be compared...

Even so does it really matter,it seems not,things to some are never better no matter who is in charge....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I personally do not care about unions having never had the need to be in one but although they are not actually a political party Unite have a great influence on the Labour party so I assumed more would take an interest especially any members that do not vote labour

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here