Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk - club captain?

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
Would now be the right time to make Dunky the permanent skipper?

I remember Liverpool done something similar when Houllier appointed Steven Gerrard as captain when he was 23, Gerrard replaced Sami Hyypia who was still a prominent member of the starting XI... didn't go too badly for him and them did it? Add to the mix he is a local lad and has made over 150 appearances for the club, I just think the timing is right and these things are often about timing, I'd suggest the extra responsibility may also help curb his petulance.

Personally I think it's a natural fit and he'll benefit from having Bruno alongside him to help coax him along before his potential departure next summer (christ that hurts just writing that). Knowing the type of guy Bruno is, I don't think he'd be throwing his toys out the pram about it if our Chris was to make such a decision. Plus it would be nice to give Dunky some more emotional attachment to the club before he starts making waves in the big league (he'll play for England in the next 18 months in my opinion), I think it's win/win.

Saying that, this is all dependant on him being sober by August, which is pretty unlikely given the way he has been cracking on in the last few days... good lad.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It wouldn't surprise me if he was given the armband in the summer as he's likely to be guaranteed (or near as damn it) a place in the starting XI of most matches next year (Bruno, possibly not) and he has the potential to be a long term fixture at the club.

The only possible reason not to (and it would require CH to be feeling particularly negative) would be that if we were to go straight down he's likely to be in the shop window, torpdeoing the whole 'long-term' thing.

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
Think Bruno has earned the right to lead us out as captain in the prem. Dunks day as captain will come

Don't necessarily disagree with that, I just think when fit Dunky will always start and be one of the first names on the team sheet, I see Bruno maybe playing the Rosenior role more next year... starting a few and on the bench for a few.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Realised the other day how much I'm gonna miss watching Bruno down that right hand side. Has such a signature look and way of playing.

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
100% agree. We've been spoilt with particularly good Spanish full-backs haven't we? For as good as they are Footballers, they are better men...we've been very lucky.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Dunky has stepped up to the mark recently wearing the armband whilst Bruno was out. Natural for him to have it perminantly next season IMO. Can't see Bruno playing week in week out in the PL. Probably would need to have an 'understudy' there for every other game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh goodie, something else that isn't broke NSC's looking to fix.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I don't know how much game time Bruno will get next season - be it starting every week or rotated due to his age - but if it's not every game we could take a similar approach to Spurs did with Ledley King.

Make Bruno 'club captain' and Dunk 'team captain'. When Bruno plays, he's captain but for most of the games it's Dunk.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
His time will come

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
I don't know how much game time Bruno will get next season - be it starting every week or rotated due to his age - but if it's not every game we could take a similar approach to Spurs did with Ledley King.

Make Bruno 'club captain' and Dunk 'team captain'. When Bruno plays, he's captain but for most of the games it's Dunk.

Didn't we do that with Richard Carpenter and Danny Cullip back in the day?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Why won't Bruno play next season? He has played almost every game this year and has been one of the best championship full backs for the last 5! If any full back can step up to the premier league it is Bruno.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Still gets up and down that pitch like a 20 year old. So 100% agree, why wouldn't he get another year and at least start the season and be given a chance to prove he is capable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here