Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Great Escape, and NOT Praise You?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Apologies if it's been raised elsewhere. I was astonished to hear the Great Escape ringing out after the final whistle on Monday night. If ever there was an unimaginably wonderful moment to blare out Praise You, this was surely it.

The Great Escape: hackneyed old film tune for teams that have just avoided the drop.

Praise You: a perfect fit, with those emotion-wrenching lyrics "We've come a long, long way together, through the hard times and the good…"
And, to cap it all, written by one of our own, and used to celebrate all of Albion's many victories at the Amex, over the last six seasons.

So disappointing. Anyone know why the change was made?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Agree, made no sense at all. Ok if the players like Sweet Caroline fair enough but where was "Sussex by The Sea" ? In general, I think keep the music to a minimum and let the fans sing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I assume the Great Escape was used to describe the completed journey from near non-existence to the top flight.
Exactly. It's not often you'll hear it when a team has achieved promotion while their rivals still have 5 games to play. It was unique, because it wasn't describing a handful of games, but over 2 decades of fight.

Made perfect sense to me when I heard it.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Made perfect sense to me, withdean aside, on the pitch at the Goldstone with tears in my eyes, 20 years later on the pitch at the Amex with tears in my eyes for different reasons.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The Great Escape for me also came to define the Amex era with that astonishing atmosphere when we had Vincelot and Barnes sent off inside the first 20mins against Burnley, and the Amex boomed for the next 70 mins as the team gave everything, and in all honesty we should have won the game.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Definitely missed having GOSBTS. Note for the title celebrations.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I preferred it to Anthony Knockaert's choice of song to sing...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Couple of quite bizarre musical choices (on the PA I mean, not by Knocky who is way beyond any blame...). An open goal the size of a house and someone still managed to slice it wide...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
PS: Great Escape was played to a) ramp up the atmosphere successfully pre whistle before Sheff Weds play off last May and b) memorably after *that* 10 men 2-1 win also v the Massive in January.

It has a pretty rich tradition now.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
After Bristol I hope they play loads of songs, it is a party after all right?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
PS: Great Escape was played to a) ramp up the atmosphere successfully pre whistle before Sheff Weds play off last May and b) memorably after *that* 10 men 2-1 win also v the Massive in January.

It has a pretty rich tradition now.

It has but imho best used in the context when we're up against it.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Apologies if it's been raised elsewhere. I was astonished to hear the Great Escape ringing out after the final whistle on Monday night. If ever there was an unimaginably wonderful moment to blare out Praise You, this was surely it.

The Great Escape: hackneyed old film tune for teams that have just avoided the drop.

Praise You: a perfect fit, with those emotion-wrenching lyrics "We've come a long, long way together, through the hard times and the good…"
And, to cap it all, written by one of our own, and used to celebrate all of Albion's many victories at the Amex, over the last six seasons.

So disappointing. Anyone know why the change was made?

Could I recommend that you read "Build A Bonfire"? That magnificent tome will help you understand just how great our escape has been. From minutes away from going out of the football league, to hours away from being placed in administration and effectively ceasing to exist. That's right...no club to support. It has been THE great escape and a worthy and most appropriate tune to celebrate our joining the English games elite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here