Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Best Performing Promoted Teams

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good read: http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?657-The-Best-Performing-Promoted-Teams

3. West Ham 05/06: 55 points (finished 9th)

When Alan Pardew looks in the mirror what does he see? Success, obviously. A great dancer, naturally. And of course he sees the rugged countenance of a man who other men want to be, and who women want to be with, definitely. But I suspect that when he looks in the mirror he sees himself as he was in 05/06.

For here was Pards at his Pardiest. Following a playoff victory (from a 6th placed finish) Pards was backed and backed well by the West Ham board. In came Dean Ashton for £7m, plus Benayoun and Konchesky on megawages. The attack was spearheaded by Marlon Harewood and Sir Bob. Reo-Coker (back when he was good) and Matthew Etherington provided more-than-able support. Pards even had 40 year old Teddy Sheringham as an option.

The squad quality showed through and they supplemented their 9th place finish with a trip to Wembley when it took a performance by Steven Gerrard of such vintage to beat them that he had the final named after him. Unlucky, Pards.

The rest of them here: http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?657-The-Best-Performing-Promoted-Teams

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It would be interesting to see a breakdown of performances in the last five seasons. When the mega money has hit those Division One incumbents. I suggest it would be harder for teams going up.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Interesting stuff. 7 out of 48(?) promoted teams have reached at least 50 points and finished around 9th in the table.

I reckon we can be the 8th to do it.

Plenty of mediocrity in the PL at the moment and we will be going up significantly stronger than most teams have done.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Interesting stuff. 7 out of 48(?) promoted teams have reached at least 50 points and finished around 9th in the table.

Plenty of mediocrity in the PL at the moment and we will be going up significantly stronger than most teams have done.
Gaining promotion in the middle of April gives us a bit of an advantage over the other promoted clubs, we've got a good couple of weeks head start in retaining our players and recruiting new.

Could make a difference knowing where we'll be this early.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Yep - 7 from 48 teams have reached 50 points

Of the 48:

19 were relegated straight away (Best: Blackpool 2011 with 39 points; Worst: Derby 2008 with 11 points)
29 stayed up. The worst performing of these was Baggies 2005 who survived with a measly 34 points.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Just before sky invented football Leeds finished 4th, then first ..... with Lee Chapman and Carl Shutt.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
In the 90s Forest got 3rd following their promotion

I think your dates may be wrong, Forest were promoted to the top division in the 1976/77 season and they stayed there until 1993. At a guess you were referring to the 1977/78 season when they won the league, nearly 40 years ago when football was a very different beast.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here