Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice man Hughton faces tough decisions

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Quite a good article. I read it in the Times today. There was also an excellent account of yesterday's unfolding events by Henry Winter, their chief football writer.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Strange as it may seem, bears do :shit: in the woods, and amazingly the Pope may well be a catholic.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He said that Murray struggled in the Prem which is a bit unfair. He was out injured for most of the first season and then Palace had changes of managers.

He also says we need another CB but with all fit we have 4 good ones, and how many CB's can we have in a 25 man squad anyway? If we do need another one Forren may be a fit anyway. We have 2 players per position less a striker, so that leaves room for another striker and one other to make the 25.

2 good signings is what we need. Defoe and someone else.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He said that Murray struggled in the Prem which is a bit unfair. He was out injured for most of the first season and then Palace had changes of managers.

He also says we need another CB but with all fit we have 4 good ones, and how many CB's can we have in a 25 man squad anyway? If we do need another one Forren may be a fit anyway. We have 2 players per position less a striker, so that leaves room for another striker and one other to make the 25.

2 good signings is what we need. Defoe and someone else.
Just because we have two for every position (except striker) doesn't mean that we don't have to recruit some even better players for next season. I've no idea which of our current squad will be replaced, but undoubtedly some will be.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just because we have two for every position (except striker) doesn't mean that we don't have to recruit some even better players for next season. I've no idea which of our current squad will be replaced, but undoubtedly some will be.

Exactly. Murray and Baldock will stay and play, but we need more goal threats against PL class defenders. M'boro didn't address this properly ... look at their goal scores stat and impending drop.

The same with other positions.

And to be prepared for the injury crises we always seem to suffer for long spells each season.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I can't see us getting more than 2 or 3 in and one of those might be Poc on a free. Most of the players we have can make the step up and the ones the fans will doubt can, may be able to too. If everyone is fit we do have strength in depth.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Exactly. Murray and Baldock will stay and play, but we need more goal threats against PL class defenders. M'boro didn't address this properly ... look at their goal scores stat and impending drop.

The same with other positions.

And to be prepared for the injury crises we always seem to suffer for long spells each season.

Injuries or not we can only have 25 in the squad;

As the squad stands now;

Liam, Bruno RB
Uwe, Dunk, Duffy, Goldson, Forren CB's
Bong, Poc LB
Kayal, Stephens, Sidwell, Norwood Mid
Knockaert, March, Murphy, Skalak Wingers
Murray, Hemed, Baldock

Above is 21 so 4 more can be added to make a 25 man squad. I'm not convinced there will be any dropping of the current players with regard to tough decisions.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
We need two strikers on loan for a start! One to replace Akpom - we seem to have made the 4th striker a perennial loan signing so someone permanent woud be nice. We could also do with a proven Premier League goalscorer. Perhaps more of a poacher. Baldock and Murray are quite similar in some respects.

We could probably do with a central midfielder. Stephens may go. Kayal suffers from injuries. Norwood hasn't really impressed me and although Sidwell has done well, there aren't too many PL midfielders playing at that level at 35. Question marks over Murphy and Skalak too.

I'm still concerned about Bruno as well. At times he has looked very leggy this season and fear he may be exposed in the PL. Rosenior should do well but maybe a fullback that can play left or right would be a worthwhile addition.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We need two strikers on loan for a start! One to replace Akpom - we seem to have made the 4th striker a perennial loan signing so someone permanent woud be nice. We could also do with a proven Premier League goalscorer. Perhaps more of a poacher. Baldock and Murray are quite similar in some respects.

We could probably do with a central midfielder. Stephens may go. Kayal suffers from injuries. Norwood hasn't really impressed me and although Sidwell has done well, there aren't too many PL midfielders playing at that level at 35. Question marks over Murphy and Skalak too.

I'm still concerned about Bruno as well. At times he has looked very leggy this season and fear he may be exposed in the PL. Rosenior should do well but maybe a fullback that can play left or right would be a worthwhile addition.

I think you are going to be disappointed this summer transfer window if you think our whole midfield needs replacing.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I think you are going to be disappointed this summer transfer window if you think our whole midfield needs replacing.

I dont think the whole midfield needs replacing. I hope we sign 4 or 5 players. 2 strikers, a central midfielder (2 if Stephens goes) and a right back. I'm just highlighting that perhaps we don't have as much strength in depth in midfield as people think, certainly not at PL level. Last season we were noticeably poorer when Kayal and Stephens weren't playing together. If Stephens doesn't sign a new contract and Kayal gets injured again, next season our midfield pair could be Sidwell and Norwood. That isn't even close to a midfield that will compete in PL.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Injuries or not we can only have 25 in the squad;

As the squad stands now;

Liam, Bruno RB
Uwe, Dunk, Duffy, Goldson, Forren CB's
Bong, Poc LB
Kayal, Stephens, Sidwell, Norwood Mid
Knockaert, March, Murphy, Skalak Wingers
Murray, Hemed, Baldock

Above is 21 so 4 more can be added to make a 25 man squad. I'm not convinced there will be any dropping of the current players with regard to tough decisions.

It might be a bit dangerous going without goalkeepers, or don't they count in the 25?

In general terms, I have seen the words "steely determination" applied to CH, and Dale Stephens commented strongly that he has the respect of everyone at the club. He won't shy away from doing the right thing and making difficult decisions if need be.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here