Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Despite the graffiti that is appearing across Hastings bearing the slogan - Amber Rudd Shame On You - Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the Home Department hits the campaign trail today in her constituency. Those trainers. :facepalm:

View attachment 85008

Y (after 16 pints and wearing a blindfold), N, Maybe.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
strongly-encourage-vote-somewhat-topical-ecard-someecards-share-image-1479834125.jpg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What has she or hasn't she done thats upset the locals?

Purely on local issues, comments she's made in these links haven't done her any favours. More broadly her speech at the Conservative Party Conference regarding lists of foreigners being provided by businesses upset a lot of people, her absence from the constituency now, her offshore tax affairs and the fact it's common knowledge she is one of the 30 being investigated by The CPS over 2015 expenses. She even once put in an expenses claim of 27p for a 0.6 mile car journey despite being a millionaire?! Labour are going to give it a serious go in Hastings and Rye and I think a lot of people will vote for them. They have a chance in Hastings and Rye at least.

http://labourlist.org/2014/07/unbelieveably-david-cameron-has-actually-made-this-mp-a-minister/

https://www.ft.com/content/97b6f7e6-ad46-11e2-b27f-00144feabdc0

http://www.hastingsandryelabour.org.uk/

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Purely on local issues, comments she's made in these links haven't done her any favours. More broadly her speech at the Conservative Party Conference regarding lists of foreigners being provided by businesses upset a lot of people, her absence from the constituency now, her offshore tax affairs and the fact it's common knowledge she is one of the 30 being investigated by The CPS over 2015 expenses. She even once put in an expenses claim of 27p for a 0.6 mile car journey despite being a millionaire?! Labour are going to give it a serious go in Hastings and Rye and I think a lot of people will vote for them. They have a chance in Hastings and Rye at least.

http://labourlist.org/2014/07/unbelieveably-david-cameron-has-actually-made-this-mp-a-minister/

https://www.ft.com/content/97b6f7e6-ad46-11e2-b27f-00144feabdc0

http://www.hastingsandryelabour.org.uk/

Cheers, seems to be a couple of seats at least locally that the Tories could get turned over in.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
so, same house is now 3 times what it was. Buyer now has to find an extra 150k over their lifetime. I hope their wages increased in line with this.

Whether in 1990 you pay £843.00 per month on a mortgage of £80,000 @ 12% interest rates compared to £925.00 per month today on a £230 000 mortgage @ 2% the affordability is similar even accepting that future and past variables would effect these calculations.

Even usual inflation rates quickly turn the 1990 £80 000 into £167 000 today, so although I acknowledge the difficulties, past experience makes me less inclined to believe there is no way forward for young people to get on the property ladder at some time.

Jan 30, 2008
Us remoaners had 20 odd years of anti EU propaganda, from right wing Tories, UKIPpers, and the Tory press, you've only had a year(so far), get used to it, we're not going away.

When I say 20 plus years, it was almost certainly longer, however, as it was the same old nonsense all the time, I stopped counting
you must like banging your head against a brick wall ,wakey wakey sunshine
regards
DR

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
She wouldn't and she can't and being shown up by Jeremy Corbyn, Angus Robertson and Caroline Lucas etc might result in people, including young people who aren't going to vote, thinking she's inept and voting the wrong way, when we what we need is strong and stable leadership, strong and stable leadership, strong and stable leadership, strong and stable leadership, strong and stable leadership................................................

From this lady?

FB_IMG_1493896419624.jpg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whether in 1990 you pay £843.00 per month on a mortgage of £80,000 @ 12% interest rates compared to £925.00 per month today on a £230 000 mortgage @ 2% the affordability is similar even accepting that future and past variables would effect these calculations.

Even usual inflation rates quickly turn the 1990 £80 000 into £167 000 today, so although I acknowledge the difficulties, past experience makes me less inclined to believe there is no way forward for young people to get on the property ladder at some time.

The average home price in Brighton and Hove in 1990 was £80,000. First time buyers typically paid a 13% deposit at that time. Mortgage rates did peak at the figure you mention in that franatic period, but were typically 6 to 10% in the years before and after that crisis. A 25 year repayment mortgage on £69,600 at 8% would have given repayments at £537.

The average home price in Brighton and Hove is now £360,000, with first time buyers having to find a 22% deposit on average and variable mortgage rates are 4.5%. But using your 2% on a 25 year repayment mortgage of £281,000, it gves £1,191 repayments. In reality millions are paying an interest rate greater than 2%, making the repayments much higher still.

But a more significant point is that a £79,200 deposit is required, compared to £10,400 in 1990. Even if first buyers aim lower than that for their starter home, the deposit figures are still huge.

This is not a political point as this situation has built up over governments/the coalition of all the main parties, and on a local level, nimble councillors in Brighton & Hove from all parties have spent many years opposing or delaying housing schemes in and around the city.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The average home price in Brighton and Hove in 1990 was £80,000. First time buyers typically paid a 13% deposit at that time. Mortgage rates did peak at the figure you mention in that franatic period, but were typically 6 to 10% in the years before and after that crisis. A 25 year repayment mortgage on £69,600 at 8% would have given repayments at £537.

The average home price in Brighton and Hove is now £360,000, with first time buyers having to find a 22% deposit on average and variable mortgage rates are 4.5%. But using your 2% on a 25 year repayment mortgage of £281,000, it gves £1,191 repayments. In reality millions are paying an interest rate greater than 2%, making the repayments much higher still.

But a more significant point is that a £79,200 deposit is required, compared to £10,400 in 1990. Even if first buyers aim lower than that for their starter home, the deposit figures are still huge.

This is not a political point as this situation has built up over governments/the coalition of all the main parties, and on a local level, nimble councillors in Brighton & Hove from all parties have spent many years opposing or delaying housing schemes in and around the city.

My point is that depending how the property market performs the mortgage market will change/evolve, they will want to lend as its profitable for them to do so and the lending criteria or property prices will ease/change they will soon run out of first time buyers with nearly £80,000 burning a hole in their pocket, think about it.

I have been here before, nearly always with a backdrop of the banks and politicians expressing some strategy how banks will no longer allow a credit bubble, especially with the usual inevitable imminent property crash, that might or might not happen and the perennial house building plans to save the day.

Our culture is still embedded in property ownership, the market will find a way to sell houses to those not able to accumulate vast amounts, it will change somehow, it always has, we are not in a unique place.

Today is no more than a snapshot of today's circumstances, its all been played out before, house prices are eye watering but they seemed so back in the 80's,90's, 00's yet we still got to where we are today.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My point is that depending how the property market performs the mortgage market will change/evolve, they will want to lend as its profitable for them to do so and the lending criteria or property prices will ease/change they will soon run out of first time buyers with nearly £80,000 burning a hole in their pocket, think about it.

I have been here before, nearly always with a backdrop of the banks and politicians expressing some strategy how banks will no longer allow a credit bubble, especially with the usual inevitable imminent property crash, that might or might not happen and the perennial house building plans to save the day.

Our culture is still embedded in property ownership, the market will find a way to sell houses to those not able to accumulate vast amounts, it will change somehow, it always has, we are not in a unique place.

Today is no more than a snapshot of today's circumstances, its all been played out before, house prices are eye watering but they seemed so back in the 80's,90's, 00's yet we still got to where we are today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/mortgages/baby-boomer-vs-gen-y-homebuying-in-1982-compared-to-2016/

I understand what you are saying and like you I remember that throughout modern history, cycles take care of affordability in the end.

But this is different down to supply and demand. In no time at all the UK population had risen from 56m and is heading towards 70m. Housing supply over a very long time now has been a fraction of what is needed. UK and foreign investors have gone down the buy to let route, fuelling prices further and decreasing the numbers of homes available to buy. This has led to the 4.5x increase in Brighton & Hove price rises. Some experts have talked of a corrective property crash now for 10 years on and off, but it never came in Southern England. Instead home owners stayed put and improved their homes if they could after the 2008 onwards banking crash.

The graph in the linked article shows the unprecedented and sustained effects in first time buyers.

With low memory mortgage rates for the foreseeable future, I think the only solution is by massive amounts of new house building. But councils, councillors and record levels of red tape make that extremely difficult.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here