Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How will Brighton do in the Premier League

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I dunno how he would fit in, or if he would be wanted.

But I believe Barry is out of contract this Summer, he could be a decent signing for a season to help with the first season.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Hard to tell as currently we only have 21 contracted players for next season - including Elvis, Ince, LuaLua, and Hunt.

Our chances will be massively influenced by the summer ( and to a lesser extent the January ) transfer windows.

However, the core of what we have here is a great basis to build on.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Very poorly :wink: seriously all the best you've deserved it but it's a very different ball game up here . Enjoy it and I promise I won't post for a while :)

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
More Burnley than Boro I hope. I have no real expectations, I sincerely hope we all remain level-headed when things aren't going our way, especially since we've had two great seasons in a row. Would be amazing if we can hang on and start to build something that will see us as a long term tenant in that league.

Seriously enjoying all these threads with 'Premier League' in the title.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm rather a fan of the Championship, so I am unafraid of reappearing there. The Premier League, though, will bring about another season of bravery, of a slightly different nature. The skill level will be a step up, and we might be trampled upon here an there, but what won't differ will be the need for our sense of character to continue, and for that the right signings need to have that in them. I don't mind going down if we give it our all, and if we stay up for that reason then it'll be great too.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
More Burnley than Boro I hope. I have no real expectations, I sincerely hope we all remain level-headed when things aren't going our way, especially since we've had two great seasons in a row. Would be amazing if we can hang on and start to build something that will see us as a long term tenant in that league.

Seriously enjoying all these threads with 'Premier League' in the title.

Very much this, one of the harsh realities in going up from any league is that you go from being a fan who is used to home wins/away draws as a minimum to something very different. It's always tough and the important thing is to not get disheartened when you're scrapping for points. As we've found out the financial aspect can be very different, you think you are on even terms and then the teams around round can pull an 80k a week signing out of the air...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I dunno how he would fit in, or if he would be wanted.

But I believe Barry is out of contract this Summer, he could be a decent signing for a season to help with the first season.

Gareth Barry would be a very good signing for next season. Local boy returns home.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Tony Cascarino speaks wisely in Times. Interesting that focusses on CBs, an area most of us believe we are well covered in.

Chris Hughton returned to the top flight yesterday with Brighton & Hove Albion, but it was not that long ago that he went for an interview at Brentford doubting that he had any chance of getting the job.

I bumped into my former Ireland team-mate on a flight back from Dublin. He had not long left Tottenham Hotspur, where he coached for 14 years, and was hunting for work. Brentford called — from League Two, no less, and with a frequent churn in the dugout. He told me that he would not get the job; he was going for the experience, to put himself out there, and see what was around. I was amazed. Several months later he arrived as a first-team coach at Newcastle United. Later he got his chance as a manager and took it.

He’s not been unemployed for long since. His stock has risen and he’s shown he can handle the grind of the Championship and gain promotion. When Brighton missed out last season, his owner handed him a new contract. He has repaid the faith.
Hughton has shown that he can handle the grind of the Championship

Now comes the tricky part: balancing the work ethic and abilities in the team with the need for more quality while not disturbing their ethos and overstretching financially. He’ll want to keep their energy, drive and fighting mentality but he’ll know from his last experience in the Premier League, at Norwich City, that he will need a decent striker and centre back to have a chance of staying up.

Glenn Murray got his 22nd league goal yesterday and is comfortably the club’s top scorer and pivotal to promotion. But in his brief time in the Premier League, Murray struggled. He is a great professional and not the only striker to be unable to bridge the gap between the divisions. David Nugent, Robert Earnshaw, Chris Wood were others, to name just a few.

I like Solly March’s ability to run at players and Anthony Knockaert’s goals from midfield. At the other end of the pitch, Hughton has towering centre backs in Lewis Dunk and Shane Duffy. Their height and power is ideal in the Championship but strikers at the higher levels are more nifty, agile and quick. They could be exposed. Yes, sure West Bromwich Albion play with six-footers — but they are very good players at that level. Hughton has other players at the wrong side of 30, but someone like Steve Sidwell, 34, has that experience to help.

Hughton is one of football’s nicest men. But he’ll have some tough decisions to make and I know he has the experience to take them. He’ll privately have a point to prove after leaving Norwich. He will not want to break the bank — and Brighton have already said they will be cautious — but he knows the recruitment must be right. It wasn’t at Norwich. These are the decisions that will see Hughton live or die, metaphorically. Brighton has been run superbly, enabling him to do his job with freedom. Tony Bloom, the owner who I know vaguely from the poker tables, is very astute and has given Hughton the backing he deserves.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Entirely depends on buys this summer. Pace, power required in many positions, two more top flight strikers and enough cover to stop these injury crises. Will get us one of positions 11 to 17.

Without that, the M'boro model.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's taken us 6 seasons to master the championship and the premiership seems to be a three tiered league. Only a few teams capable of winning it, a handful who aspire to challenge for European football and the rest of the league. Our job will be to break into the top half of the later group around 14th/15th and then build from there.

If we can aspire to be like West Brom, Stoke or Southampton as a team unlikely to win the league but will avoid a relegation battle within 5 years then I'll be delighted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here