Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1500/1 to win the Premier League

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Doesn't that mean that they think we are three times as likely to be champions than Leicester were last season?

I can understand the logic in that teams that win the Championship may continue that winning mentality into the next season. Whereas it's extremely rare for a team who narrowly avoided relegation to suddenly become world beaters.

DavePage

I can understand the logic in that teams that win the Championship may continue that winning mentality into the next season. Whereas it's extremely rare for a team who narrowly avoided relegation to suddenly become world beaters.

The rareness is reflected in the odds, the dream is reflected in that fiver.
Well done to the guys that placed a bet on Leicester last year, they followed their dream.
I hope they went large on the Champions League this year, that’s what it is all about.
Dreams aren’t logical
I’ve lived the nightmares as well, so if you prefer we are 11/8 for relegation.
The point maybe is that the Premier League odds only show 11 teams at the moment which must mean for 10 teams its a lot more equal than people think.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Doesn't that mean that they think we are three times as likely to be champions than Leicester were last season?

not really, it shows the bookies limiting their risk if the unusual does happen again, they never needed to be so long. bookies odds are not probabilities, they are marketing. more interested in odds off a top half finish.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wonder what odds we are to lift the FA cup? For me, that's the real value of being in the top division. At the beginning of the tournament you've got reserves good enough to despatch most teams in the league. At the business end, you've obviously got a fighting chance with a Premier league squad.

And wouldn't it be lovely to get in to Europe? Or win a major trophy? Before Palace do?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bearing in mind TB's company set odds for a lot of betting companies I would be more interested in our chances of staying in the premier division.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm quietly confident of a stellar season to be honest. I can think of at least five clubs we will finish above, although sadly Palace might not be one of them.

I also firmly believe Solly March is going places, probably even more so than the excellent Lewis Dunk. If we start off well with these two playing their parts, I really wouldn't be surprised if either get international call-ups.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The bookies said you will never see a 5000-1 odds again after Leicester won.

They must have lost millions on what was basically a joke bet

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm quietly confident of a stellar season to be honest. I can think of at least five clubs we will finish above, although sadly Palace might not be one of them.

I also firmly believe Solly March is going places, probably even more so than the excellent Lewis Dunk. If we start off well with these two playing their parts, I really wouldn't be surprised if either get international call-ups.

March is the one to watch next season, I think he will have a better season than AK personally.....

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Not being very generous are they?

Brighton for the top six is getting into Loch Ness Monster territory - people who are devoted/deluded enough to back it are going to get on at any price, so why offer 250-1 when punters will take 50-1?

For me, it's a huge positive that we are odds-against for the drop. Plenty (probably a majority?) of promoted sides are odds-on to go straight back down, those without previous PL experience in particular. Think that it is in part a testament to the quality in the side, but also shows respect for the steady, careful progress of the last few years under an outstanding chairman. In racing terms, we've progressed from Class 6 handicaps on the all-weather to win the Royal Hunt Cup, and it looks as though there's still scope for improvement as we move into Pattern company.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset

Don't forget the tens of millions they DIDN'T have to pay out on the likes of Chelsea /Man City winning the league. The bookies win big money when outside chances come in - Leicesters Premier League title was no exception.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
No! I think they are still smarting from paying out after Leicester's success!!

They paid out plenty on the outright market, but not at 5,000-1. The serious damage was done at 500-1 down to 100-1, as punters outside the Leicester fanbase started to think that they might just get the trip and the bookies maintained their (understandable) belief that it was never going to happen.

On the other hand, the bookies had an unforgettable year on the coupons, as it wasn't just a case of Leicester winning, it was also about all the usual contenders deciding to underperform massively all at once. There was a coupon-buster pretty much every week, as Chelsea/Man U/City etc came up short again, and the weekly turnover is much more important for long-term profitability than the long-term market on the winner.

Doubt it, at William Hill trading centre the liability (potential pay out) instantly flags up next to any given selection so the odds can be shortened up at the click of a mouse if this liability got too high. Bets on Leicester would have been £1 each way, whilst Chelsea, United, City etc would have attracted several four or even five figure bets

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here