Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** The unofficial home brewing thread ***

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Morning All,

I couldn't find any threads dedicated to the art of home brewing and having posted some pictures (quite a while ago) of my setup on the 'Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread' it was suggested that I start a dedicated thread to home brewing as that thread is more about the drinking of than the creating of the wonderful creation of beer.

I brew using the all-grain method with a 50 litre boiler, mash tun and fermenting barrel. Will post some pictures next weekend for anyone that's interested as I will be doing my first brew for ages (having a baby really knackers your hobbies doesn't it?!). I will be brewing my own recipe 5.4% American IPA using a blend of home grown Cascade hops alongside bought Citra and Amarillo hops.

I also grow my own hops that were planted 3 years ago and am expecting a bumper harvest after a brilliant harvest last year. Sorry about the size of the photo's, no idea how to scale them down a bit!

Any other home brewers out there?

DSC_0247-min.JPG

DSC_0248-min.JPG

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I'm also a homebrewer. I use an old fridge converted to maintain a consistent temperature during fermentation. Currently I have a saison fermenting that is looking promising.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Great idea for a thread, I will be monitoring. Always wanted to give homebrewing a go but don't have the space at the moment. Good luck on the harvest :thumbsup:

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I'm also a homebrewer. I use an old fridge converted to maintain a consistent temperature during fermentation. Currently I have a saison fermenting that is looking promising.

I have a fermenting fridge too. Best thing I have ever done as it means I can ferment in the shed and therefore avoid the grief from the Mrs when I plonk a fermenter full of ale on the worktop for a week or two!

I have never tried brewing a Saison style beer, am going to replenish my supplies of my stock recipes then I must branch out into the more exotic!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Great idea for a thread, I will be monitoring. Always wanted to give homebrewing a go but don't have the space at the moment. Good luck on the harvest :thumbsup:

To be fair if you start off doing kits or extract brews you don't need much space at all. I bypassed the kits and went straight to extract whereby all the equipment you need is a 10 ish litre saucepan and a 23 litre fermenter.

Hop harvest won't be until September as they are only just training at the moment. It's amazing how big the plants grow though as you cut them back down to the ground every Autumn (unlike a grape vine). Last year they grew around 15 feet but am hoping for 20 this year as I will be training them from a line from the fence up to the back of the house.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
How do you go about converting a fridge for that purpose? I've dabbled but am also under pressure to get it out the house.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
How do you go about converting a fridge for that purpose? I've dabbled but am also under pressure to get it out the house.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The below link is an excellent guide.

http://www.berrybrew.co.uk/fermentation-fridge-build-brew-fridge/

This is my attempt below (note only switched on to photograph hence the 13*C low temperature). Very easy to do as I did it with zero electrical experience, although the Mrs cousin is a sparky so got him to check it over when he came round on a social call just to make sure I wasn't going to burn the shed down.

DSC_0249-min.JPG

DSC_0250-min.JPG

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Me too. Sorry to sound thick, but you can also purchase home brewing 'kits' can't you?, where much of the spade work that you seem to do, has already been done for you. Or am I dreaming again?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Me too. Sorry to sound thick, but you can also purchase home brewing 'kits' can't you?, where much of the spade work that you seem to do, has already been done for you. Or am I dreaming again?

Not sure if you have Wilkinsons (Wilko) hardware stores in your neck of the woods,but if not,most Boots stores have a homebrew section.Most kits have an instruction leaflet with them for basic knowledge.The golden rules are make sure all your equipment is sterilised and don't drink it before it's ready!

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

Indeed you can. A very basic kit will be a can of DME (dried malt extract) and a sachet of yeast. And you basically add water. It's a great hobby that can be so simple or very technical depending on how deep you wish to go. You can effectively make a clone of any beer you have ever tried.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Not sure if you have Wilkinsons (Wilko) hardware stores in your neck of the woods,but if not,most Boots stores have a homebrew section.Most kits have an instruction leaflet with them for basic knowledge.The golden rules are make sure all your equipment is sterilised and don't drink it before it's ready!

Don't think boots do them anymore. Tesco direct have a decent selection of kits that are available for click and collect.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
So happy I've seen this thread today. It's cured my hangover and has given me a new hobby! Any recommendations for a complete novice like myself to start? Keeping it as simple as, would it be best to buy a home brewing kit on Amazon?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I see the attraction,yet it all seems a bit complicated for my liking,i have little patience too and therefore for that reason-i'm out.

Good luck with the thread-

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Glad I saw this thread as just about to purchase a brewing kit on Ebay. Had a dabble about 10 years ago, but it didn't go great! Have linked the items below, opinions would be welcome!

Home Brew Equipment: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-Brew...730087?hash=item35ccf2c9a7:g:KWwAAOSwWfFXkHyT

Festival Beer Ingredients: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Festival-...hash=item51b00f8356:m:m_w4PHjUQsVUtvmB5i-kNZQ

I would do away with the pressure barrel personally unless you plan on drinking circa 23 litres of beer in a short space of time. Bottle carbonation is a relatively simple process.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I would do away with the pressure barrel personally unless you plan on drinking circa 23 litres of beer in a short space of time. Bottle carbonation is a relatively simple process.

Completely agree, especially if you get some rinse free steriliser like Star San. Pressure barrels are good if you are brewing specifically for a party/BBQ but for me not for general consumption.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here