Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our defence - unbelievable

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Watching the Spurs game earlier, for Dembele's goal the Bournemouth defender on the line actually turned his back when the shot came in.

One thing I've noticed in our recent games is the way our defenders are absolutely determined to protect Stockdale's goal. A number of times, they have absolutely HURLED themselves in front of the ball to SMOTHER shots. Some of the defending has been nothing short of HEROIC.

This, just as much as what happens at the other end of the pitch, is what has helped get us to where we are.

Heroes, the bloody lot of them

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We've not conceded in 50% of our league matches; 21 clean sheets in 42. Absolutely outstanding.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
To think too,that we (in an area normally so well catered for) currently,are a little stretched or certainly have been on numbers recently.....a extra straw could have easily broken the camels back at any stage recently..

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
Watching the Spurs game earlier, for Dembele's goal the Bournemouth defender on the line actually turned his back when the shot came in.

One thing I've noticed in our recent games is the way our defenders are absolutely determined to protect Stockdale's goal. A number of times, they have absolutely HURLED themselves in front of the ball to SMOTHER shots. Some of the defending has been nothing short of HEROIC.

This, just as much as what happens at the other end of the pitch, is what has helped get us to where we are.

100% agree, and that's without no. 2 & 3 centre backs for long periods!

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Yup, only 3 teams have let in fewer than us (Chelsea, Spurs and Man U) in all four divisions, and we have played 10 games more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Gonna have to ask Hiney.

If you've only just noticed this in our recent games, what have you been looking at for the rest of the season?

Have you had a cricked neck?
Drunk?
Been going to games in Davros fancydress?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Hull for example have had only 3 clean sheets.Yes we are good in defence which bodes well for next season.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
And you've got to praise Uwe and Tomori for coming in and keeping that splendid defensive record intact. Uwe especially could've suffered confidence wise with that injury, but credit to Hughton for giving him time to get himself back properly and it's paid huge dividends.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Gonna have to ask Hiney.

If you've only just noticed this in our recent games, what have you been looking at for the rest of the season?

Have you had a cricked neck?
Drunk?
Been going to games in Davros fancydress?

I think it's become even more evident in recent games, because we have been getting to the business end of the season. As we've got closer and closer, it's been all about Knockeart, Murray etc. I know the back four have been magnificent all season but it just seems that recently, it maybe means a bit more, because we are SO close.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
And you've got to praise Uwe and Tomori for coming in and keeping that splendid defensive record intact. Uwe especially could've suffered confidence wise with that injury, but credit to Hughton for giving him time to get himself back properly and it's paid huge dividends.

Yes. Tomori as well, after the carnage at Lincoln.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think it's become even more evident in recent games, because we have been getting to the business end of the season. As we've got closer and closer, it's been all about Knockeart, Murray etc. I know the back four have been magnificent all season but it just seems that recently, it maybe means a bit more, because we are SO close.

I figure centre backs are our 'thing', and their play doesn't go unnoticed by us.
Esp as strikers seem to be once in a generation thing.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Our defence (especially Stockdale) get so angry if a goal goes in. When we conceded against Birmingham two weeks ago, even though it was a consolation, Stockdale was absolutely beside himself.

It's really good to see, I love him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Albion's defence in the Paul McCarthy game, Reading at home, was just a masterclass in control, composure and solidity.
The most fitting of tributes.

Yet in the whole scheme of things the defence hardly got out of third gear.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Well not all of them. Murray put his hands up, as he didn't want to get hit in the face. Pathetic.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Great shout. Happens every single game, and they all do it. Yesterday Bruno did, Dunk got injured doing it, Uwe, despite being out injured for ages doesn't think twice before throwing himself in the way and Duffy would stand in front of a train (the train would lose). Pocnog actually LIKES doing it I think - he's the grinning, sliding definition of gung-ho. The reaction of the back 5 when we concede, and the mutual backslapping when someone puts a massive block/save in speaks volumes. They are a proper unit.

The defence isn't going to be out of place in the PL next season - including Bruno. His first touch, range of passing and game intelligence will be an asset.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I miss Duffy brutally manhandling David.....that's the only slight let down in the defence in the run in.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Well not all of them. Murray put his hands up, as he didn't want to get hit in the face. Pathetic.

Unlike Inigo Calderon who SCORES with his face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here