Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel Advice: Ho Chi Minh City

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I'm off to Vietnam the day after the Brizzle game. I've got a few things booked in already, Chu Chi tunnels, Mekong Delta for a few days, amongst other things. But i'm hopeful the good people of NSC can give me a few recommendations for restaurants, bars (especially where I can catch up on all the footie!) and anything else you would consider a must in and around HCMC! I'm staying in District 1.

I've been told the Pasteur Street Brewing company is a must, anybody been?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm off to Vietnam the day after the Brizzle game. I've got a few things booked in already, Chu Chi tunnels, Mekong Delta for a few days, amongst other things. But i'm hopeful the good people of NSC can give me a few recommendations for restaurants, bars (especially where I can catch up on all the footie!) and anything else you would consider a must in and around HCMC! I'm staying in District 1.

I've been told the Pasteur Street Brewing company is a must, anybody been?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

It's a great city, we were there two years ago, you'll love it. Are you going anywhere else in Vietnam? We went to Hanoi & Halong Bay too, as well as Cambodia. You can eat like a king out there for remarkably little.

I'll have to have a look back at where we went for food recommendations, but it's worth a trip up the Bitexco Financial Tower early evening for the skybar up there. Fantastic views over Saigon (most people still seem to call it that, rather than HCMC), especially once the sun sets and the place lights up. The War Remnants Museum is fascinating, they have loads of old aircraft outside if you like that kind of thing. Be prepared: it's very no holds barred in parts. There are entire sections dedicated to the victims of Agent Orange, for example, including hundreds of photos of people suffering the effects (they reckon 3 million Vietnamese have been in some way effected, and even now, children are born with defects thought to result from their parents' exposure to it). The sort of photography you probably wouldn't see in the British Museum say, not to mention a preserved, horrifically deformed human foetus in formaldehyde :ohmy:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I was there in 1996. It was a 24 hour building site and i suspect much has changed. Enjoyed my trip though, especially north, Hue, Hanoi, Halong Bay. Its a pretty full on place, on one overnight train journey one of the guys sharing the sleeper pulled out an automatic gun to inspect. Pirates on Halong Bay. Great food. Fairly aggressive in negotiating. Went to Chu Chi which was interesting, though they had preserved very young babies who were deformed and killed by american napalm bombs so fairly distressing.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Also- The Deck (restaurant/ bar) was nice as I recall. Down by the river in District 2 (??), it's another great spot to sit and watch the sun set. We stayed somewhere off Ly Tu Trong, most things were pretty much walkable.

Nobody seems to call it HCMC, by the way. Everyone referred to it as Saigon.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Not been for 15 years, so can not recommend restaurants. Best advice I can give is about crossing the road. If you wait for a break in the traffic you will spend your entire holiday stood on the side of the road. Just walk into the traffic at a steady pace and the bikes and cars will drive around you.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Yes, long time since I was there. As said previously, all the locals still call it Saigon.

Remember we went to the Presidential Palace and saw where the last ever American helicopter left, where all the poor sods were trying to get on board to escape.

Also had dinner in the evening on a boat plying the river. Was good. Also Mekong Delta, tunnels and the Vietnam War Museum, which is obviously slanted to their view.

Really liked Vietnam, sure you will to.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
It's a great city, we were there two years ago, you'll love it. Are you going anywhere else in Vietnam? We went to Hanoi & Halong Bay too, as well as Cambodia. You can eat like a king out there for remarkably little.

I'll have to have a look back at where we went for food recommendations, but it's worth a trip up the Bitexco Financial Tower early evening for the skybar up there. Fantastic views over Saigon (most people still seem to call it that, rather than HCMC), especially once the sun sets and the place lights up. The War Remnants Museum is fascinating, they have loads of old aircraft outside if you like that kind of thing. Be prepared: it's very no holds barred in parts. There are entire sections dedicated to the victims of Agent Orange, for example, including hundreds of photos of people suffering the effects (they reckon 3 million Vietnamese have been in some way effected, and even now, children are born with defects thought to result from their parents' exposure to it). The sort of photography you probably wouldn't see in the British Museum say, not to mention a preserved, horrifically deformed human foetus in formaldehyde :ohmy:

Thanks Edna! I'm only there for 12 days, so will stay South this time. The North of the country will come on a later trip. Cambodia is another place i've always fancied, so might look into that. I've heard you can enter the country via the Mekong? Already planning the museum, and i will be prepared to be shocked. I guess they are designed to make all who visit realise the horrors of war - Which is something we should all try to understand IMO.

Really looking forward to this!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I believe it is possible to hire an RPG and blow up a cow, should the desire takes you.

Hehe. Not sure i'll be doing that, but an interesting option anyway!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Not been for 15 years, so can not recommend restaurants. Best advice I can give is about crossing the road. If you wait for a break in the traffic you will spend your entire holiday stood on the side of the road. Just walk into the traffic at a steady pace and the bikes and cars will drive around you.

Pretty much like the rest of SE Asia then!

It's a bit like real life 'Frogger'

I usually wait for a local to cross the road and follow close behind!

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Pasteur St is well worth a visit when you're in Saigon. As to crossing the roads, a steady, measured walk with a calm facial expression (think Zen) and a great deal of silent praying, shrieking and swearing will do the job. Great place and lovely people.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I went in 2013. Decent pizzeria called pomodoro if I recall. Bar street great. Nguyen coffee shops their version of Starbucks but the expensive No.7 blend is fantastic - worth bringing some home.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Thanks guys! Keep em coming.

One things for certain, I will be wearing my Albion shirt with immense pride while out there! Not all the time I might add....actually I might! :thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I read that as travel advice for Man City.

I thought "Crickey, the fixtures aren't out yet.."

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Thanks Edna! I'm only there for 12 days, so will stay South this time. The North of the country will come on a later trip. Cambodia is another place i've always fancied, so might look into that. I've heard you can enter the country via the Mekong? Already planning the museum, and i will be prepared to be shocked. I guess they are designed to make all who visit realise the horrors of war - Which is something we should all try to understand IMO.

Really looking forward to this!

There is also a coach to Phnom peng it's called Mekon Express costs about 20USD it's a tourist only bus with armchair seats and a hostess to do the stuff at the border. Passport and the visa fee and it's so simple.

Cambodia is a great place to visit.

BUT remember if u are visiting Cambodia make sure your Vietnam visa is a multiple entry and not single entry.

Very nasty place but hire a Tuk Tuk and a visit to the killing fields is a must. History can't ad should not be forgotten

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Ho Chi Minh don't bother with resturants head to the central market after sunset loads of street food stalls ( with seating) spring up, food is great and cheap,
They also have KFC and McDonald's but why would you visit Asia for a Big Mac?

Beer is cheap in the bars and served by ladies dressed in promotional clothing ( short dresses) of the different brands.

Day trips have been covered CuChi tunnels etc.
Vietnamese baguettes are also nice thanks to the French occupation.

Was there last year and have been a few times..

Beware of motorcycles when you cross the road there are 100's of them

You will enjoy it if you immerse yourself in the culture,

Visit the central railway station a beauriful colonial building
The catherderal something you don't expect to see in a Asian city
And the victory hall,
Also a museum to the Vietnam war ( from a Vietnam perspective)

When you arrive at the airport proceed to the visa window with your fee and passport, depending on passengers may take a while

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here