Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Woody walk

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hello knowledge of NSC. Struggling to think of anything other than the game this evening. But determined to get the kids away from iPods and get out for a bit this arvo before the game. Was thinking of a nice walk, ideally woodland (not hilly downs as 6 year old will just moan!), where we can do a nature hunt and hopefully combine with a bit of pubbidge. Can anyone recommend somewhere nice, we'e based in Hove but happy to drive 20/30mins. Cheers all.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hello knowledge of NSC. Struggling to think of anything other than the game this evening. But determined to get the kids away from iPods and get out for a bit this arvo before the game. Was thinking of a nice walk, ideally woodland (not hilly downs as 6 year old will just moan!), where we can do a nature hunt and hopefully combine with a bit of pubbidge. Can anyone recommend somewhere nice, we'e based in Hove but happy to drive 20/30mins. Cheers all.

Went for a great walk around part of the Angmering Park estate a couple of days ago with some friends who have a dog we are dogsitting as of today.

Great woodland, carpets of bluebells, den building opportunities aplenty and lots of wild deer about. I suspect I'll be up there a lot over the coming 10 days or so.

You basically head to where Chestnut Tree Hospice is (Dover Lane, BN18 9PX) carry on up the lane and park in the car park and then just roam as you see fit.

This seems to cover the area but you can walk as little or as much as you want: https://www.walkandcycle.co.uk/sussex/Trails/50-99/SUSSTR0085.pdf

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Went for a great walk around part of the Angmering Park estate a couple of days ago with some friends who have a dog we are dogsitting as of today.

Great woodland, carpets of bluebells, den building opportunities aplenty and lots of wild deer about. I suspect I'll be up there a lot over the coming 10 days or so.

You basically head to where Chestnut Tree Hospice is (Dover Lane, BN18 9PX) carry on up the lane and park in the car park and then just roam as you see fit.

This seems to cover the area but you can walk as little or as much as you want: https://www.walkandcycle.co.uk/sussex/Trails/50-99/SUSSTR0085.pdf

Very much this. Used to take the kids and dogs there a lot - huge variety, pretty much flat, great for kids and pooches to explore, lots of good circular walks. Only slight problem might be the car park being a bit full - it gets very busy when the bluebells are out - but yes, do it.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012

Perfect, thanks Bozza, even better as my folks live in Arundel so can pop and see them too. And now I see pub suggestion as well, nailed on! NSC never lets you down!

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
May be a bit far for you but it's beautiful in the woods just north of Sheffield Park - that area between the villages of Fletching, Danehill and Nutley. Bluebells and wood anenomes, still primroses everywhere, sun streaming through the branches as the trees aren't in leaf yet. Lots of little stream, mill ponds and steep little valleys too. Wonderful.

And there's loads of pleasant pubs in that part of the world - like the Griffin at Fletching or the Coach and Horses at Danehill.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Perfect, thanks Bozza, even better as my folks live in Arundel so can pop and see them too. And now I see pub suggestion as well, nailed on! NSC never lets you down!

It won't be 20/30 minutes away if you drive there straight across the A27.

Head up past the cement works - Steyning by-pass - A24 - Long Furlong - Cross the A27 @ Poling.

Alternatively

Stay on by pass through Storrington - Amberley - HOughton - Parents - Walk - Woodmans.

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Horseshoe walk in Steyning. Can do upper or lower. Lower is shorter. Choice of pubs and cafes on the high street. Stride out across the cricket pitch, onto the walk, about an hour later you'll descend it of the woods onto the old gunnery shooting range, through some twittens and onto the high street. Bosh.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The 3 Corner Copse is a great place for kids.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We went for a woody walk with 12 others this morning, in Stanmer Park. We got there early so it wasn't too busy, but by 11 there were loads of people. Beautiful park land, woody paths and a glorious view of the Amex. What's not to like?

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
I miss the bluebells. The folk up here think that they are the best, and they are good, but nowhere near as good as Sussex bluebells.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
We went for a woody walk with 12 others this morning, in Stanmer Park. We got there early so it wasn't too busy, but by 11 there were loads of people. Beautiful park land, woody paths and a glorious view of the Amex. What's not to like?

This! Stanmer Park is a great place, I often walk my dogs there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here