Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man dragged off UA Flight says it was "More Horrifying" Than His Experiences In Vietnam

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Man dragged off UA Flight says it was "More Horrifying" Than His Experiences In Vietnam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39586391

A man dragged screaming off a United Airlines flight described his ordeal as "more horrifying" than his experiences in the Vietnam War, his lawyer says.
Attorneys for Dr David Dao, who lost two front teeth and suffered a broken nose and "significant" concussion in the incident, say they will sue.
His daughter, Crystal Dao Pepper, told the news conference in Chicago they are "sickened" by his treatment.
Video of the incident has been watched millions of times online.
Why do airlines overbook?
Law enforcement officials dragged Dr Dao off Sunday evening's Chicago to Louisville, Kentucky, flight because it was fully booked, and the airline wanted four passengers to make way for staff members.
The Vietnamese-American physician had refused to leave, saying he needed to go home to see his patients.

Lawyer Thomas Demetrio told journalists on Thursday: "He [Dr Dao] said that he left Vietnam in 1975 when Saigon fell and he was on a boat and he said he was terrified.
"He said that being dragged down the aisle was more horrifying and harrowing than what he experienced when leaving Vietnam."
Ms Dao Pepper, who lives in suburban Chicago, said: "What happened to my dad should have never happened to any human being, regardless of the circumstance.
"We were horrified and shocked and sickened to learn what happened to him and to see what happened to him."
Dr Dao's lawyers have filed an emergency court request for the airline to preserve evidence ahead of a hearing next Monday morning.

The filing with an Illinois state court demands that United Airlines and the city of Chicago preserve all surveillance videos, cockpit voice recordings, passenger and crew lists related to the flight.
United Airlines said it would refund the ticket costs of all passengers on Sunday's flight.
Dr Dao was released on Wednesday night from a Chicago hospital, his lawyer said, adding that he planned to have reconstructive surgery.
Mr Demetrio, and a second lawyer for Mr Dao, said that neither they nor the Dao family had heard from United Airlines yet.
"For a long time airlines, United in particular, have bullied us," Mr Demetrio told the press conference.
"We want respect and we want dignity, that's it! Not a big deal."
The lawyer said he did not believe Mr Dao's race played a factor, despite an email he had received suggesting he was "the modern day, Asian Rosa Parks", a reference to the civil rights activist who refused to give up her seat on an Alabama bus in 1955.
The City of Chicago runs O'Hare International Airport.

The airline has confirmed it is "reaching out" to customers on United Flight 3411 and "offering compensation for their flights".
On Wednesday, the airline's chief executive, Oscar Munoz, said he felt "shame and embarrassment" and vowed it would never happen again.
More than 150,000 thousand people have signed online petitions calling for him to resign.

But when asked if he would stand down, he said: "I was hired to make United better and we've been doing that and that's what I'll continue to do."
Asked what the company would do in future if a seated passenger refused voluntarily to leave a full plane, Mr Munoz said: "We're not going to put a law enforcement official to take them off."
He added that Dr Dao had not been at fault, saying "no one should be treated that way. Period."
However, Mr Munoz initially described Dr Dao as "disruptive and belligerent".
Three aviation security officers involved in removing Dr Dao from the plane have been "placed on leave", says the Chicago Department of Aviation.
The US Department of Transportation is reviewing whether United complied with rules on booking.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
American legal expert on the radio this afternoon reckons he will get a huge payout ( out of court ) to put an end to the bad publicity for the airline.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
American legal expert on the radio this afternoon reckons he will get a huge payout ( out of court ) to put an end to the bad publicity for the airline.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

I wonder if he'll accept or alternatively 'have his day in court'.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta

56141674.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fookin ridiculous, they could have reverse auctioned the passengers and left about $1000 down.

Instead they've wiped about $450,000,000 off the share price and the flight alone has cost thousands.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
To be fair the 'Worst than Nam' bit is valid. Seeing as there are now armed marshalls on every flight there is every chance, in America, one of those gun totting happy's would have pulled the trigger.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
To be fair the 'Worst than Nam' bit is valid. Seeing as there are now armed marshalls on every flight there is every chance, in America, one of those gun totting happy's would have pulled the trigger.

I would like to assume the selection process for armed marshalls on US airlines are a bit more stringent..

LVGull

May 13, 2016
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39586391

A man dragged screaming off a United Airlines flight described his ordeal as "more horrifying" than his experiences in the Vietnam War, his lawyer says.
Attorneys for Dr David Dao, who lost two front teeth and suffered a broken nose and "significant" concussion in the incident, say they will sue.
His daughter, Crystal Dao Pepper, told the news conference in Chicago they are "sickened" by his treatment.
Video of the incident has been watched millions of times online.
Why do airlines overbook?
Law enforcement officials dragged Dr Dao off Sunday evening's Chicago to Louisville, Kentucky, flight because it was fully booked, and the airline wanted four passengers to make way for staff members.
The Vietnamese-American physician had refused to leave, saying he needed to go home to see his patients.

Lawyer Thomas Demetrio told journalists on Thursday: "He [Dr Dao] said that he left Vietnam in 1975 when Saigon fell and he was on a boat and he said he was terrified.
"He said that being dragged down the aisle was more horrifying and harrowing than what he experienced when leaving Vietnam."
Ms Dao Pepper, who lives in suburban Chicago, said: "What happened to my dad should have never happened to any human being, regardless of the circumstance.
"We were horrified and shocked and sickened to learn what happened to him and to see what happened to him."
Dr Dao's lawyers have filed an emergency court request for the airline to preserve evidence ahead of a hearing next Monday morning.

The filing with an Illinois state court demands that United Airlines and the city of Chicago preserve all surveillance videos, cockpit voice recordings, passenger and crew lists related to the flight.
United Airlines said it would refund the ticket costs of all passengers on Sunday's flight.
Dr Dao was released on Wednesday night from a Chicago hospital, his lawyer said, adding that he planned to have reconstructive surgery.
Mr Demetrio, and a second lawyer for Mr Dao, said that neither they nor the Dao family had heard from United Airlines yet.
"For a long time airlines, United in particular, have bullied us," Mr Demetrio told the press conference.
"We want respect and we want dignity, that's it! Not a big deal."
The lawyer said he did not believe Mr Dao's race played a factor, despite an email he had received suggesting he was "the modern day, Asian Rosa Parks", a reference to the civil rights activist who refused to give up her seat on an Alabama bus in 1955.
The City of Chicago runs O'Hare International Airport.

The airline has confirmed it is "reaching out" to customers on United Flight 3411 and "offering compensation for their flights".
On Wednesday, the airline's chief executive, Oscar Munoz, said he felt "shame and embarrassment" and vowed it would never happen again.
More than 150,000 thousand people have signed online petitions calling for him to resign.

But when asked if he would stand down, he said: "I was hired to make United better and we've been doing that and that's what I'll continue to do."
Asked what the company would do in future if a seated passenger refused voluntarily to leave a full plane, Mr Munoz said: "We're not going to put a law enforcement official to take them off."
He added that Dr Dao had not been at fault, saying "no one should be treated that way. Period."
However, Mr Munoz initially described Dr Dao as "disruptive and belligerent".
Three aviation security officers involved in removing Dr Dao from the plane have been "placed on leave", says the Chicago Department of Aviation.
The US Department of Transportation is reviewing whether United complied with rules on booking.

I would rather be dragged of a flight, than be involved in the Vietnam conflict.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Fookin ridiculous, they could have reverse auctioned the passengers and left about $1000 down.

Apparently not: there's a set limit as to how much compensation can be paid - in this case it was about $1300 to 1400 but questions could be asked as to why the company only offered 800 in vouchers. I bet if they'd offered 1300 in cash they'd have had an extra taker ... or two.

Crazy penny pinching, for the sake of 2000 bucks they've lost millions off the share price, thousands in compensation and untold damage to their reputation

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
But the interesting thing is, according to Simon Caldwel (travel guy BBC 5 Live) the airline are 100% within their rights to off load a passenger at any time and for no reason. Pilots decision is final. If told to leave you have to leave, end of.
He was randomly selected to leave but refused, as I would.
It was the manor in which he was man-handled off the plane that was horrific.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hope he sues the stomach lining out of them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But the interesting thing is, according to Simon Caldwel (travel guy BBC 5 Live) the airline are 100% within their rights to off load a passenger at any time and for no reason. Pilots decision is final. If told to leave you have to leave, end of.
He was randomly selected to leave but refused, as I would.
It was the manor in which he was man-handled off the plane that was horrific.

I heard that. But the proviso is 'the captain has say so over everything - predicated by safety' (to paraphrase - I'm more succinct than he was). This was not a safety issue. It was a bump off to make room for airline staff wanting to get elsewhere. So he was talking bollocks. The captain has no more right to enforce a boot off for any reason than he has the right to walk up and down the aisle feeling up women's tits.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hope United go bust. There is no acceptable reason for over booking - it's just airline greed . Should be banned under law. If someone doesn't turn up for a flight so effing what ? They've paid for the seat regardless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here