Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Season 2010/2011 Promotion

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just randomly came across this. Look who finished 3rd that season, although they lost in play-off final to Peterborough.

And we will be the 3rd side from that League 1 top 6 to make it to the Premier League :thumbsup:

2011.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I remember that season well. Southampton took til the back end of September to really get going. We just about limped across the finishing line while Southampton were going like an express train at the finish, and went on to complete the double championes the following season.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Didn't Lee Clark have some sort of road-to-Damascas conversion regarding us half-way through the year? After the away game made pretty xenophobic comments about our foreign contingent and style of play, then by the time they played us last game of the season was gushing with praise and insisted on a guard of honour (after Adkins and Southampton had refused the week before).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Must remember that surely ?

23k posts suggest not a JCL ;-)

Yeah sure, I remember it well. Although I'm not much of a statto so couldn't even have taken a guess at the the play off contenders without looking though :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I remember that season well. Southampton took til the back end of September to really get going. We just about limped across the finishing line while Southampton were going like an express train at the finish, and went on to complete the double championes the following season.

Er, not quite...

Despite what the local media would have you believe

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Yes. Yes we did. We were still second best in that division that season though.

Except we weren't though were we? We won the league by 3 points and had the last 4-5 games off.

Southampton might have had a better squad than us (they certainly spent enough money on it), and might have on their day been able to beat us, which they did. But the league lasts from August to May and we comfortably picked up more points than them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Except we weren't though were we? We won the league by 3 points and had the last 4-5 games off.

Southampton might have had a better squad than us (they certainly spent enough money on it), and might have on their day been able to beat us, which they did. But the league lasts from August to May and we comfortably picked up more points than them.

Quite right.

And as for the 'on their day bit', we could quite easily have beaten them home and away that season. At St.Mary's we only drew 0-0 because Chris Wood wasted a late penalty, then at Withers we were 1-0 up and in control when their keeper brought down Murray for what should have been a pen (and a possible red card) - ref ruled otherwise, Murray went off injured, and we fell apart.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Quite right.

And as for the 'on their day bit', we could quite easily have beaten them home and away that season. At St.Mary's we only drew 0-0 because Chris Wood wasted a late penalty, then at Withers we were 1-0 up and in control when their keeper brought down Murray for what should have been a pen (and a possible red card) - ref ruled otherwise, Murray went off injured, and we fell apart.

I seem to remember them being by far the better side for most of the Withdean game (despite scoring 2 late-ish goals to win it), but would love to stand corrected!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's a bit harsh, I seem to remember Kelvin Davis being almost at full stretch to save it.

Perhaps. Missed it, either way.

The report of that game makes weird reading now: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_2/9206220.stm

First the apparent disparity in the sides - Saints' starting line-up included Jose Fonte, Morgan Scheiderlin, Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Ricky Lambert and Adam Lallana. Ours Casper Ankergren, Adam El Abd and Augustien Battipiedi, yet we WALKED that league. Amazing.

I was at that game and remember when AEA got his nasty leg injury, and being gutted that he had to go off, and hoping we'd cope okay with LEWIS DUNK coming on in his place!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Perhaps. Missed it, either way.

The report of that game makes weird reading now: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_2/9206220.stm

First the apparent disparity in the sides - Saints' starting line-up included Jose Fonte, Morgan Scheiderlin, Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Ricky Lambert and Adam Lallana. Ours Casper Ankergren, Adam El Abd and Augustien Battipiedi, yet we WALKED that league. Amazing.

I was at that game and remember when AEA got his nasty leg injury, and being gutted that he had to go off, and hoping we'd cope okay with LEWIS DUNK coming on in his place!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here