Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This nonsense about being effectively promoted tomorrow because of our superior GD

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
It may be the latent accountant in me but it really hacks me off.

If we are 15 points ahead with Huddersfield with 5 games to go, the assumption is that even if we lose 4 and they win 5 they won't overtake us on goal difference. But they could and therefore it is not promotion, effectively or not.

Well it's 35 goals to make up. Say we lose all four of us 3-0 like at Forest, that's 12 of them. Could be worse at Norwich if they are on fire! 23 goals in the Huddersfield games is only 5-0 in four and 3-0 in another.

Oh okay, yes it isn't going to happen is it. But the phrase does for some reason make my blood boil. :albion2::albion2::albion2:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Pragmatically we are up tomorrow if Preston and Albion win.

I'll be celebrating if it happens, not in a pit of worry about goal difference.

:rock:
:albion2:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Boil away squire, cos I suspect you're on your own on this one.

For Huddersfield to overtake us on goal difference, it would have to render their - and our - results as little short of bent.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am also in the 15 points ahead tomorrow night is NOT a done deal.

This is primarily because I am not at Wolves, and SELFISHLY want to be there when IT happens.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Boil away squire, cos I suspect you're on your own on this one.

For Huddersfield to overtake us on goal difference, it would have to render their - and our - results as little short of bent.

Don't get me wrong, I will still be jumping around like a moron at Molinoux we win and they have lost but it's not promoted. It really isn't.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I am also in the 15 points ahead tomorrow night is NOT a done deal.

This is primarily because I am not at Wolves, and SELFISHLY want to be there when IT happens.

Lol.

That's where I am. Anyway, I would be very surprised if Huddersfield lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Lol.

That's where I am. Anyway, I would be very surprised if Huddersfield lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me (and you) the absolute dream results tomorrow are Brighton WIN, Hudds/Preston DRAW.

Win v Wigan required to SEAL promotion.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Anyway, for those that want the certainty, it'll be a big ask for the results to both fully go our way tomorrow.

Chances are the goal difference factor will not matter after Monday, as the points will be enough at that point.

My guess :

Huddersfield beat Preston
Albion draw at Wolves

Albion beat Wigan
Derby beat Huddersfield.

Clear cut promotion done.

Last edited:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Don't get me wrong, I will still be jumping around like a moron at Molinoux we win and they have lost but it's not promoted. It really isn't.

We understand, the difference being though that if we hit that point, then it is just a matter of time as you quite rightly pointed out, the goal difference will not be overhauled.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

If we are 15 points ahead with Huddersfield with 5 games to go, the assumption is that even if we lose 4 and they win 5 they won't overtake us on goal difference. But they could and therefore it is not promotion, effectively or not.

Well it's 35 goals to make up. Say we lose all four of us 3-0 like at Forest, that's 12 of them. Could be worse at Norwich if they are on fire! 23 goals in the Huddersfield games is only 5-0 in four and 3-0 in another.

Oh okay, yes it isn't going to happen is it. But the phrase does for some reason make my blood boil. :albion2::albion2::albion2:

Ha ha, did you ever listen to the Alan Partridge radio series when he interview the Duchess of Stranraer? She was 28th in line to the throne and he asked her if she wanted to be Queen, and she said it could never happen, then Partridge said it could and went into this narrative of the Queen being in a car accident, then a load of the royal family in a minibus get killed on the way to the funeral when a sniper takes out the driver....etc. Very funny. That's you that is.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

It's funny in only 3 games this season (not cup games) have they scored more then 2 goals and that's against Norwich, Rotherham and Us and then they conceded 3 in those games. I'm still nervous about crossing the finishing line, but even I would say we were promoted once they could only beat us on goal difference

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

We don't get the P next to our name until we gain an extra 7 point difference to Huddersfield.

I'm with you.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

I'm inclined to agree. Those who say "6 more points and we've done it" - well, we haven't have we. 6 more points and it's still mathematically possible that we could **** it up. Just extremely, extremely improbable.

But that's exactly the same case now. We have basically done it and it will take an extraordinary set of results for us to fail.

Like I said on some other thread, match Hudds results over Easter weekend then all we need is a point at Norwich. THEN it's a done deal.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nothing is decided tomorrow. NOTHING.

(And I'm not just saying that because I can't go to Wolves)

I fully suspect we are already up, we just don't know it yet as Huddersfield have not yet dropped the points that they will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here