Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

#Together

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I know the club's been plugging this buzzword for a few years now, but how did it originate?, and is it just me or does anyone else find it a bit cringy when it's used so loosely and freely in and out of context as it is?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think it was the club's marketing brand for the 2015/16 season that grew much bigger after the Shoreham air crash. It's been there ever since...

I know the club's been plugging this buzzword for a few years now, but how did it originate?, and is it just me or does anyone else find it a bit cringy when it's used so loosely and freely in and out of context as it is?

I thought so too, until the Shoreham disaster then it just made sense.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Think it originated more after the Shoreham Air Disatster and showed the whole community (football or not) coming together at a time that was devastating for some people in the community. The club itself did what it could for families affected by the incident. I don't see it being cringy at all personally.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was dreamed up on the back of 'one club one ambition' :facepalm:

As others have said the Shoreham disaster moved it along from being yet more tiresome corporate bullshit lingo, to something far more personal.

I'll hazard a guess #together is thankfully here to stay.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It was dreamed up on the back of 'one club one ambition' :facepalm:

As others have said the Shoreham disaster moved it along from being yet more tiresome corporate bullshit lingo, to something far more personal.

I'll hazard a guess #together is thankfully here to stay.

The corporate walls of the football club melted away, and from ground staff, to players, to directors, to fans, our little world and football club became a community of equals, genuinely #together. The club has felt different since, moved away from the whole customer thing, a period of introspection that has added to a lighter more sensitive touch to fans perhaps. Or maybe that is just through winning most weeks?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The corporate walls of the football club melted away, and from ground staff, to players, to directors, to fans, our little world and football club became a community of equals, genuinely #together. The club has felt different since, moved away from the whole customer thing, a period of introspection that has added to a lighter more sensitive touch to fans perhaps. Or maybe that is just through winning most weeks?

If nothing else the club has saved itself £200k for finding a replacement for #Together..

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If nothing else the club has saved itself £200k for finding a replacement for #Together..

It is tough work sat in a brain storming room coming up with a slogan. I feel for the advertising agents for the major car manufacturers. There is a coffee and pastry slug fest everytime trying to think of the next #The Power of Dreams, #Driven by Passion, #Feel the Difference....

Its what the big bucks are for.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Think it originated more after the Shoreham Air Disatster and showed the whole community (football or not) coming together at a time that was devastating for some people in the community. The club itself did what it could for families affected by the incident. I don't see it being cringy at all personally.

No, it was before that. And it was #togetherwecan but it had gradually morphed into #together.

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/brighton-hove-albion-season-ticket-price-freeze-2546953.aspx

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

No.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Haven't you got anything better to do :moo:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I will always associate it with the shoreham Air disaster were the club went above and beyond to help the local community in its real hour of need. Showing the club and community in the true meaning of togetherness. Also the togetherness of the players how they helped AK when his father died. Also how I genuinely felt sorry more for the players then myself at the end of last season.

#together may have started of as a gimmick, but I hope now it is always associated with this football club, because we are stronger that way.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

There are various etymologies but the Old English "togaedere" is probably the most appropriate source. ???
Sarcasm aside it's use by the club, especially since Shoreham has been perfectly appropriate IMO but of course it's easy to have a pop at marketing-speak which I guess is ultimately what it is..
Means much more to BHAFC fans though.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

It works for some and that's fine, but in essence it's just social media marketing crap.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
As others have said it took on a much greater meaning to the club, the players and the fans after the Shoreham disaster. It was just a piece of marketing but after it became a rallying call of sorts, a symbol of how an entire county, and indeed most of the country, had come together to mourn a tragic loss of life.

It's here to stay and I'm glad of it.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
It is tough work sat in a brain storming room coming up with a slogan. I feel for the advertising agents for the major car manufacturers. There is a coffee and pastry slug fest everytime trying to think of the next #The Power of Dreams, #Driven by Passion, #Feel the Difference....

Its what the big bucks are for.

The best example is when HMRC spent almost £1.4m on a re-branding exercise to ditch boring old 'HMRC' for a new slogan. They came up with 'HMRC Ambition'. It doesn't even make sense, and as slogans go it's quite brief. This was at the time they started to refer to us tax payers as 'customers'.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/hmrc-ambition-the-15m-slogan-civil-servants-spent-your-hard-earned-tax-on-6637348.html

Not to do with slogans, but I also enjoyed when the Office of Government Commerce spent £14k to change their logo from the letters OGC, to the letters OGC in a slightly different font. Although it turned out they had to go back to the old one after the first day because the new logo looked like a stick man cracking one out.

ogc.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here