Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody know about tax for Self Employed Hod Carriers?

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Our Sprog has finally got a job as a Hod Carrier for a brickie - they've told him he's Self Employed/Sole Trader so I've told him to register with HMRC as Self Employed.

However, he's just got paid and the Company who he works for have taken tax/NI off at source as apparently according to said Sprog "it's all changed now".

Hitting my head against a brick wall as I've asked him to find out what he needs to tell HMRC specifically (as he's registered as Self Employed) and the only answer I get back from him is "I have to tell HMRC I'm a Sole Trader"!

The Company he's working for has asked for his UTR number and he got that by registering as Self Employed - can anyone enlighten me how this works as I'm Self Employed and can't get my head around it?

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Our Sprog has finally got a job as a Hod Carrier for a brickie - they've told him he's Self Employed/Sole Trader so I've told him to register with HMRC as Self Employed.

However, he's just got paid and the Company who he works for have taken tax/NI off at source as apparently according to said Sprog "it's all changed now".

Hitting my head against a brick wall as I've asked him to find out what he needs to tell HMRC specifically (as he's registered as Self Employed) and the only answer I get back from him is "I have to tell HMRC I'm a Sole Trader"!

The Company he's working for has asked for his UTR number and he got that by registering as Self Employed - can anyone enlighten me how this works as I'm Self Employed and can't get my head around it?

Isn't this the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)? Taken off at source and then (hopefully) he gets a rebate at the end of the tax year?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Make sure he keeps a record of all costs - mileage, telephone, tools, protective clothing etc. If his first "pay" was up to 5 April 2017 he will have to do a tax return for 16/17 or if after then its 17/18 so another year. He will pay tax and NI on his profit but get a credit for the tax he has had deducted so will be due a tax refund each year as he will have his personal allowance and costs to set against his income.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You said they've taken off tax/NI. The NI bit is vital to this. If NI has been deducted too, they've treated him as an employee for now.

You/he need to carefully check the payslip.

If no NI, he's been treated as self employed.

Check also the % tax deducted. It should be 30% if he isn't been registered in the CI scheme.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You said they've taken off tax/NI. The NI bit is vital to this. If NI has been deducted too, they've treated him as an employee for now.

You/he need to carefully check the payslip.

If no NI, he's been treated as self employed.

Check also the % tax deducted. It should be 30% if he isn't been registered in the CI scheme.

Sound advice here.
He should not be paying NI, will pay 20% after he submits his UTR number to his employer.
As stated keep all petrol receipts, mobile, work clothes etc, and it is a good idea to get a hard back book and staple the receipts with a copy of his pay slip/invoice.
That way if an accountant does his books he will not charge as much for sorting it all out.....especially if he is a BHA ST holder.
Good luck to the lad, once he has done it for a few weeks it all falls into place.

D

Deleted member 2719

I once was a hod Carrier ............for a day......fook that, the bstards sent me up ladders with concrete blocks and pug all day.
Mind you I had had an altercation with one of the other hod boys 3 months before outside a pub, so the atmosphere at tea break was somewhat strained!

All good advice already given, my advice is only feed the slower brickies, It's called pacing yourself!

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I'm an accountant & sound advice already posted. Post up play slip with personal detail covered if you like.

All building workers get cis stopped @20% - this MAY mean he can get a rebate at end of tax year. Depends on how much he has earned & how much expenses he has

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm an accountant & sound advice already posted. Post up play slip with personal detail covered if you like.

All building workers get cis stopped @20% - this MAY mean he can get a rebate at end of tax year. Depends on how much he has earned & how much expenses he has

That's if CIS registered and not on payroll. Millions of building workers are on payroll paying full tax and NI. If not on payroll and not CIS registered, 30% is deducted by the contractor.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
That's if CIS registered and not on payroll. Millions of building workers are on payroll paying full tax and NI. If not on payroll and not CIS registered, 30% is deducted by the contractor.

If they are on the books. Yes

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Just a way of avoiding having to pay into the Government Rules on having to register and pay into a company pension scheme for companies with 4 or more employees. Here is the link for your lad to register to get his UTR as suggested by others on here

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/CWF1ST?dept-name=CWF1&sub-dep

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I once was a hod Carrier ............for a day......fook that, the bstards sent me up ladders with concrete blocks and pug all day.
Mind you I had had an altercation with one of the other hod boys 3 months before outside a pub, so the atmosphere at tea break was somewhat strained!

All good advice already given, my advice is only feed the slower brickies, It's called pacing yourself!

Brilliant advice....Love it

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
Mental money when we think most carers get paid just over £7 per hour.

I agree with you regards carers pay, they should get a lot more. I would add that hod carriers/bricklayers get no holiday pay (including no pay for bank holidays and most sites shut for at least 10 days over christmas), no sick pay and from personal experience rarely manage to work more than 40/42 weeks of the year due to weather, enforced shut downs etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here