Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are our tactics ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Whenever I have heard CH :bowdown: interviewed, he has never talked about 'our way of playing' the way some other managers have. However, this season, often in a single game, I've seen us play high up the pitch pressing the opposition's defence, sitting deep giving up possession and hitting on the break, playing possession football around the back and hitting early long balls through.

I think it's this flexibility that has got us to where we are. Nobody (including me) knows what we are going to do, in order to plan against us.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whenever I have heard CH :bowdown: interviewed, he has never talked about 'our way of playing' the way some other managers have. However, this season, often in a single game, I've seen us play high up the pitch pressing the opposition's defence, sitting deep giving up possession and hitting on the break, playing possession football around the back and hitting early long balls through.

I think it's this flexibility that has got us to where we are. Nobody (including me) knows what we are going to do, in order to plan against us.

Good management ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One of the players in a recent interview said Chris studies the opposition in detail, and plans his tactics accordingly, so it's horses for courses. It's why he's not afraid to drop a player, even after he's had a good game, and put someone else in.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Whenever I have heard CH :bowdown: interviewed, he has never talked about 'our way of playing' the way some other managers have.
Coz he's not a complete tosser like most of the puffed up clowns that try and boost their ego by banging on about their own mostly imagined coaching achievements...

Hughton realises that football management is essentially about having good players (he often mentions the strength of our squad and the importance of the players recruited) and then working hard at the basics of their physical and mental preparation. He is brilliant at this.

No doubt there is also a fair amount of tactical stuff that goes on but mostly we play a simple 4-4-2 with a mixture of some patient build up passages and plenty of direct balls forward. The key elements are the players' quality and their motivation to put a shift in.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
peletactics.png

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Coz he's not a complete tosser like most of the puffed up clowns that try and boost their ego by banging on about their own mostly imagined coaching achievements...

Hughton realises that football management is essentially about having good players (he often mentions the strength of our squad and the importance of the players recruited) and then working hard at the basics of their physical and mental preparation. He is brilliant at this.

No doubt there is also a fair amount of tactical stuff that goes on but mostly we play a simple 4-4-2 with a mixture of some patient build up passages and plenty of direct balls forward. The key elements are the players' quality and their motivation to put a shift in.

I'd also add that in certain moments of certain games the players themselves are willing to take responsibility without prompting from the bench. It's often referred to as game management. Having an older squad with wiser heads certainly helps with this.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

You're right. CH doesn't seem to have a 'philosophy'. He just does what it takes to win matches. Extra midfielder sometimes when we had a weaker squad. Far more attacking with 2 wingers now against the teams he thinks we can stretch. All very unfashionable and low key. It will also be interesting to see how his measured, calm approach post-match plays with some fans next season if we're losing a lot - at Norwich it ended up counting against him. Hopefully our supporters will have a better sense of perspective.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Weirdly, the closest team that I can think of tactically to this one is Brazil 1970 (bear with me*)

Fluid vertical movement and overlapping from the full backs, especially at right back (Carlos Alberto=Bruno), two holding midfielders expected to pass short and simple and dictate the pace of the game (Gerson=Stephens), two FLAIR wingers with a tendency for inside runs (Rivelino=March and Jairzinho= Knocky).

Plus I've just realised how much Muzza looks exactly like Tostao:
Futbol17_Tostao_06.jpg

Which leaves Baldock=Pele obvs.

*NB to any lurking fans of other teams about to repost this on your squalid messageboards. I'm not saying Albion 2017 are as good as Brazil 1970. I'm just saying that we have a broadly similar tactical set up. And that Tostao looks like Murray. Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here