Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More sad news

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My friend Nigel, who posted on here as Alex, Alex Dawson oo! oo!, finally lost the latest of several battles with cancer yesterday evening.

A WSU season-ticket holder, he saw his first Albion match in 1960, a 6-0 stuffing of Bristol Rovers, which was about five years before I met him in a classroom at the then Hove Grammar (now Blatchington Mill). We were both there until 1972.

Like many people who have had a long-standing relationship with that foul disease, Nigel was astonishingly stoical and matter-of-fact about the last few weeks (he'd probably have laughed at the word 'brave', but getting to Rotherham from Surrey was probably that after last season's result there).

Last month I got an email explaining that the latest chemo hadn't worked and that he had no more than 6 months, but had a history of beating the stats. Sadly that wouldn't be the case, although he seemed more concerned about a sudden bout of hay fever. I'd have loved him to see at least one game in the Premier League, if we get there, or at least the celebrations.

He is survived by his wife Merle and children Gareth and Emma, who were all with him when he went.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That's very sad to hear... we met a few times, usually making arrangements with tickets... RIP Nigel :(

Up the Albion!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That's very sad. I've had many chats with him via PM, and he never expressed any self-pity, and was an intelligent and decent guy.

RIP.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
RIP very sad news

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
OMG - so close to seeing the ultimate success !!! RIP Nigel. Always liked his posts on here - thoughtful and interesting.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Terribly sad.

RIP

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
****. ****. I'm really saddened by this. We worked in the same industry and for the same company for a while. I also did Albion Roar with him many years ago. A really nice and very bright guy. RIP.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Very sad news. I don't know if I knew him in the real world but for me his memory will live on every time I make a chili. He posted a recipe on here years ago and I've used it ever since. R.I.P. Nigel. At least you witnessed one of The Albion's best ever seasons.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Condolences to his family and friends. His posts were always worth reading on Nsc, he will be missed.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sad news. Came across on here like a top bloke.

RIP Nigel.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
With deepest sympathy to family and friends. RIP Nigel - seeing the Albion as long ago as 1960 makes you an Albion Legend IMO.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That is really sad. I have a few conversations with him over the years and he was a lovely chap.

Condolences to his friends and family.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here