Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Having the right Owner

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
We are truly blessed having TB - and the contrast with what happens elsewhere is beautifully highlighted by this contribution to the Guardian comments section by a Birmingham fan:-

Dear Paul Suen, Zhao Wenqing, Huang Dongfeng, Daniel Sue Ka Lok, Anita Chan Yuk Yee, Jerry Yiu Chun Kong and Zhu Kai

Between you, you are the executive directors and key shareholders of Birmingham International Holdings Limited and Trillion Trophy Asia Limited, the holding companies for Blues.

I doubt you were at today's match - bit of a shlep from Honkers - but had you been, you would have seen the manager you sacked mastermind a win over the manager you brought in his stead.

That result means that the manager you sacked has won more matches in ten days than the manager you brought in has won in five months.

Doubtless you will get reports back as to how it went. And I can imagine them. Blues were unlucky. One down to a fluke, a perfectly good goal disallowed by a set of officials that between them were as fair and unbiased as a vampire in a Villa scarf, and hit by a sucker punch at the end because everyone was up for a free-kick.

That's all fair enough; we did not get the run of the ball today. But that's today. That's not the last 23 matches, half a season, of which we have won precisely two. And one of those was against ten men. At home.

I know that the Chinese culture is one where one does not want 端面, I.e. to lose face. And you thought you had lost face because Rowett was looking for other jobs. Well, that's what happens in football. A manager is six bad games from the sack and they will look for more money and security. Especially as Rowett's contract was for peanuts. The manager up the road was earning eight times as much as him, apparently, for doing a significantly worse job with significantly more resources.

But how much face do you want to lose? Do you want to relegate a team that at Christmas was pushing for promotion? Do you want to swap playing Newcastle and Villa and Leeds et al for playing Fleetwood and Bury and Southend? And that's not guaranteed, by the way, Fleetwood might go up. Oh, yes, and that's the Bury who employ Lee Clark, who was the unchallenged worst manager ever for Birmingham City until you made your wonderful appointment of Gianfranco Zola, who, statistically, is. if not the worst manager in the history of the League to have has 20 games in charge, pretty damn close to it. To put that into context, the worst in the Sky era in the top flight is Roy McFarland at Bolton, and he was sacked after 2 wins in 22. And Clark never, ever, ever had a run as bad as 2 wins in 23.

As you are evidently not football people, I am not sure how best I can put that all into context. I think the best I can do is look at the Winter Olympics. At the last Games, China came 12th in the medal table, with 3 golds, 4 silvers and 2 bronzes. That was 2 places lower than Blues finished last season.

So imagine there was one Chinese coach, and in the first half of the next Games, he had China in sixth in the table. With, say, 5 golds, 5 silvers and 5 bronzes. But Austria and Italy were looking to recruit him as a coach because he was so valued. What do you do? Do you perhaps offer more money to your excellent coach, or do you sack him, and replace him with a coach whose last job was with the Qatar Winter Olympics team, and leave him in charge as he wins no golds, no silvers and no bronzes for the entire rest of the Games?

That's not an exact equivalent, as you can't get relegated out of the Winters into the Autumns. But imagine if you could. Imagine if you needed to win six golds or you were out. Your brilliant coach had got five, a sixth would be a piece of cake. But the new coach decides to buy in expensive new skis and gives them to the bobsleigh team. And decides that one of your most creative figure skaters is no good and instead lend him to Taiwan, for whom he then wins a gold (David Cotterill, our best dead baller, is on loan at Bristol City, while we rely on Craig Gardner's unerring ability to find the nearest opposition head. Or row G, which was how we lost today, incidentally.)

Would you not think that perhaps you had dropped a clanger in changing the coach? And that perhaps you ought to get a new one in sharpish before it all went completely the shape of the pear?

Or would you resolutely stick to your idiotic decision and sink with the Titanic? Because if we don't go down this season, then next season we will make Rotherham look like Celtic.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Owner is far more important than any other role in the club. It all starts there.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Owner is far more important than any other role in the club. It all starts there.

Absolutely. And there are none better than, and precious few anywhere near as good as, Tony Bloom. We are truly blessed. While I will be delighted for myself when our promotion is confirmed, I will also be equally delighted for him. He deserves nothing less.

Absolutely. And there are none better than, and precious few anywhere near as good as, Tony Bloom. We are truly blessed. While I will be delighted for myself when our promotion is confirmed, I will also be equally delighted for him. He deserves nothing less.

[sorry Goldstone, but this is what I wanted to say but it would have taken me 10 minutes to word it right]

D

Deleted member 2719

TB the man, is a true visionary.

I want to see him lead the pitch invasion, he deserves it.:rave:

Next challenge is to stay up, followed by Europe.

He has put the Albion back in the big time. :bowdown:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
We are truly blessed having TB - and the contrast with what happens elsewhere is beautifully highlighted by this contribution to the Guardian comments section by a Birmingham fan:-

Dear Paul Suen, Zhao Wenqing, Huang Dongfeng, Daniel Sue Ka Lok, Anita Chan Yuk Yee, Jerry Yiu Chun Kong and Zhu Kai

Between you, you are the executive directors and key shareholders of Birmingham International Holdings Limited and Trillion Trophy Asia Limited, the holding companies for Blues.

I doubt you were at today's match - bit of a shlep from Honkers - but had you been, you would have seen the manager you sacked mastermind a win over the manager you brought in his stead.

That result means that the manager you sacked has won more matches in ten days than the manager you brought in has won in five months.

Doubtless you will get reports back as to how it went. And I can imagine them. Blues were unlucky. One down to a fluke, a perfectly good goal disallowed by a set of officials that between them were as fair and unbiased as a vampire in a Villa scarf, and hit by a sucker punch at the end because everyone was up for a free-kick.

That's all fair enough; we did not get the run of the ball today. But that's today. That's not the last 23 matches, half a season, of which we have won precisely two. And one of those was against ten men. At home.

I know that the Chinese culture is one where one does not want 端面, I.e. to lose face. And you thought you had lost face because Rowett was looking for other jobs. Well, that's what happens in football. A manager is six bad games from the sack and they will look for more money and security. Especially as Rowett's contract was for peanuts. The manager up the road was earning eight times as much as him, apparently, for doing a significantly worse job with significantly more resources.

But how much face do you want to lose? Do you want to relegate a team that at Christmas was pushing for promotion? Do you want to swap playing Newcastle and Villa and Leeds et al for playing Fleetwood and Bury and Southend?

That story got psychedelic pretty quickly.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill

Was only saying the same thing yesterday, could not have put it any better.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Very fortunate to have Tony Bloom .

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
To be owned by a man who has his love of, and support for, our club at the core of every decision he makes, combined with the financial muscle to do deliver on that side of things is, to quote a commentator once upon a time, the stuff of dreams.

Give it a few weeks and I reckon it'll be the stuff of champions too, and it'll be a fitting repayment to Tony if we do manage it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
TBH we all should be very ashamed of ourselves, we have 2 games to make amends:- .

"He knows he's the man
He knows he's the man
Tony Bloom
He knows he's the man".

@29:00 minutes.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila

I wonder if every single user on NSC put something along these lines as their signiture for the offseason, it would be noticed by those we'd like to see it?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

Exactly my thoughts. We, all us fans, have invested our season ticket money etc. to gain promotion, but that pales against what Tony has invested.

Am really happy that his investment has paid off for us all (well when promotion is finally confirmed), and thank him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that Richie Reynolds should persuade Tony Bloom to give an interview pitch side at half time on Easter Monday but with the speakers at a level that everybody can hear what is being said and this would then give the supporters the chance to show their thanks and appreciation to him. Just make the game BLOOM DAY Without him none of this would have been possible and having supported them since the mid 40s I think that he with his family have had a bigger influence on the club than any previous chairman. From me THANK YOU TONY BLOOM.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lost me when he started comparing Birmingham's league position to Olympic medals

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I believe that Richie Reynolds should persuade Tony Bloom to give an interview pitch side at half time on Easter Monday but with the speakers at a level that everybody can hear what is being said and this would then give the supporters the chance to show their thanks and appreciation to him. Just make the game BLOOM DAY Without him none of this would have been possible and having supported them since the mid 40s I think that he with his family have had a bigger influence on the club than any previous chairman. From me THANK YOU TONY BLOOM.

What, a sort of "let's be 'avin' you" interview :smile:

Being serious though, I think TB talks when HE wants to and only then

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Being serious though, I think TB talks when HE wants to and only then
It's only natural to think like that, afterall TB has spent his entire ownership whoring for the spotlight. :facepalm:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tony Bloom stepped up to the plate to provide the funds to build the stadium in the aftermath of the global financial crisis when the banks were clearly in no mood or position to loan any money to anyone at all. For which we, as supporters, should be eternally grateful.

Dick Knight and Martin Perry did every single one of the hard thankless miles to get us to the point where stadium planning position was granted. For which we, as supporters, should be eternally grateful.

The Albion fans absolutely REFUSED to let the club die. For which the above-mentioned, as chairmen/owners, should be eternally grateful.

#together

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Tony Bloom stepped up to the plate to provide the funds to build the stadium in the aftermath of the global financial crisis when the banks were clearly in no mood or position to loan any money to anyone at all. For which we, as supporters, should be eternally grateful.

Dick Knight and Martin Perry did every single one of the hard thankless miles to get us to the point where stadium planning position was granted. For which we, as supporters, should be eternally grateful.

The Albion fans absolutely REFUSED to let the club die. For which the above-mentioned, as chairmen/owners, should be eternally grateful.

#together

Absolutely. Easy to forget the early days now but without Dick Knight buying the club, we'd not have had the chance for that.

Tony Bloom has been an incredible owner for the club. He has made one mistake in appointing Hyppia but he has made up for that with the most incredible next appointment. He has invested so much on the club and put us in an amazing position. There's only one thing missing and it is looking like we'll get that in the next few weeks.

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South

#together

This sums it up nicely, good post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here