Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much is promotion worth...

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I've been thinking about what difference our (potential) promotion might make to the finances of our beloved Albion.

Assuming a worst case scenario of relegation after 1 season I think we would get approx £100m of central revenue from the premier league (assuming we came bottom, again worst case) then 2 years of parachute payments (approx £40m yr1, 25m yr2). Apparently you have to be in the premier league for more than one season to unlock a 3rd year of parachute payments.

That's all before any increase in club revenues from gate receipts, additional shirt sales etc.

But looking at central revenue alone that's £165m at the very minimum.

This picture is cobbled together from a few slightly out of date articles about villa's relegation last season and a red top description of prem revenues for this year.

Anyone know the finances in more detail?

And...

How would you invest the money if you were TB/PB/CH?

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Based on newspaper estimates of the value of promotion to the club (and this was from our times in the play-off) I've always thought of it as being about £200m. On top of that, though, is the value to the local economy, just one reason why a thriving football club is so important to its community.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well we'll be down on live TV revenue. :jester:

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I would spend £15m+ on the best striker we can find. Chances are they will be from Germany, Czech Rep, Spain, etc... and not someone we know in the U.K.
Secure Stockdale and Stephens (if possible) as we are going to need them both in the best squad we can assemble. Assume £8-£10m in signing on fees and improved contracts for them.
Then at least 1 no-nonsense midfielder (similar to Shelvey, but not so Fugly).
Another creative midfielder (we cannot have enough in the middle).
We have plenty of decent defenders, but they do keep getting injured and suspended, so at least one more right back to play in similar attacking style as Bruno and probably one more centre half who is comfortable on the ball.

I'd hope we'd invest sensibly, but not splurge it all straight away, so maybe £40m- £50m overall in the Summer and a bit more to be used in January if needed.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Think Middlesboro got about 170 million last year for promotion

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Let's assume we stay up season after season. TB and PB will plan for no less. Palace, Bournemouth, Burnley, WBA and Stoke are no bigger than us thesedays, and if they can do it, so can we.

Then £100m every season and growing, extra £m's for live TV appearances and final league position. Plus increased commercial revenue including kit, sponsorship and naming rights, increased charging for exec boxes and advertising.

theboybilly

I would spend £15m+ on the best striker we can find. Chances are they will be from Germany, Czech Rep, Spain, etc... and not someone we know in the U.K.
Secure Stockdale and Stephens (if possible) as we are going to need them both in the best squad we can assemble. Assume £8-£10m in signing on fees and improved contracts for them.
We have plenty of decent defenders, but they do keep getting injured and suspended, so at least one more right back to play in similar attacking style as Bruno and probably one more centre half who is comfortable on the ball.

I'd hope we'd invest sensibly, but not splurge it all straight away, so maybe £40m- £50m overall in the Summer and a bit more to be used in January if needed.

I would be amazed if we spent £20m in the summer let alone £40-50m

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Agree with the positions you mention as needing strengthening, but I would add wide players on both wings needed. PL full backs have immense pace, so Skalak and Murphy I think won't get any joy. AK is class and March can step up, but I'd like to see new wide men to join them in the squad.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
All I know is it puts us on a level playing field and we won't have to care less about FFP again.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Prepare to be amazed.

2 strikers £15m and £5m
Three midfielders at 10,5,5
Two fullbacks @ £4m

That's £48m easy at a minimum.
Didn't Barber come out recently and say we wouldn't be spending much in the summer on transfers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here