Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing enthusiasm for cricket

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
What a mess county cricket is in. Every year the county competitions get changed. Now we're even getting a new 8 team competition in T20. I support Sussex, but live in Liverpool. Who should I now support? On top of that, we had only one team being promoted to Div 1 of the county championship last year, despite the enforced relegation of Durham. Surely Kent should have gone up rather than Hampshire staying in Div 1 after being in a relegation position.. Now we hear Leicester will start the season with -15 points, only above Durham who start with -48 points. What a farce! My favourite game, but even I am losing interest.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's all about the money. The new T20 Thrash will fund the dying embers of County Cricket for the next few years.

The answer to your question about who to support is something like the "South Coast Smashers" playing at the Toilet Bowl, but it is not really aimed at you anyway :nono:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
For quite a while now my love of cricket has been limited to the international game.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The revamped T20 format is to appeal to the day-trippers and Sky.
The days of watching a team craft an innings, the subtlety and guile, Captaincy as an art form, it's all going. It's crash, bang, wallop for a couple of hours or so with advert breaks, loud music and go-go dancers when a six is scored.
Basically it's shit but i's what the public want

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Love the County Championship. Can't wait to see how Hoppo fares this year.

They have to try different things, or it will just wither and die, but the new T20 idea is the work of Satan. Fans of the counties that end up hosting one of the 8 sides will support them, and just pretend that the Birmingham Thunder***** are just Warwickshire in new pyjamas. Fans of every other county will feel no connection to the competition whatsoever. The host clubs will be the Test Match hosting counties, so the money in the game will continue to be concentrated on those clubs, whilst the provincial cousins like Sussex beg for crumbs. Same as it ever was.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The host clubs will be the Test Match hosting counties, so the money in the game will continue to be concentrated on those clubs, whilst the provincial cousins like Sussex beg for crumbs. Same as it ever was.

Except it's the Test hosting clubs in trouble: Durham has a 48-point deduction, Yorkshire is in dire financial straits and could go the same way and Glamorgan lost over £300,000 last year. Sussex, on the other hand, made a small profit.

The problem is that the Test clubs spent a small fortune making their grounds fit for international cricket and it's money they've not clawed back. Only Middlesex and Surrey seem immune to this.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Now we hear Leicester will start the season with -15 points, only above Durham who start with -48 points.

At least Sussex won't be bottom for a few games now.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

They have to try different things, or it will just wither and die, but the new T20 idea is the work of Satan. Fans of the counties that end up hosting one of the 8 sides will support them, and just pretend that the Birmingham Thunder***** are just Warwickshire in new pyjamas. Fans of every other county will feel no connection to the competition whatsoever. The host clubs will be the Test Match hosting counties, so the money in the game will continue to be concentrated on those clubs, whilst the provincial cousins like Sussex beg for crumbs. Same as it ever was.

About 1.2 million crumbs a season, apparently.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This new T20 competition is a huge misjudgement. The UK simply doesn't get behind new Franchise's and a country immersed in a culture of County Cricket and Town / City football isn't ever going to embrace it. As an example, I'm no Warwickshire fan being Sussex born and bred but I would go along to the odd game for something to do. There is no way I will watch the ''Birmingham Brummies'' and I doubt anyone with a football background from Coventry, West Brom, Wolverhampton etc will either. It immediate alienates a certain section of the fan base.

The thinking seems to be that it works in India so that is the answer here and it isn't comparing like with like albeit I'm sure it will increase participation amongst younger clientele. The answer for me was to simply increase the number of overseas players in the current T20 format and maybe reduce the number of games which bloated a few years back.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Off to Hove tomorrow and Sunday for the University game with the added bonus that's its free entry.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The revamped T20 format is to appeal to the day-trippers and Sky.
The days of watching a team craft an innings, the subtlety and guile, Captaincy as an art form, it's all going. It's crash, bang, wallop for a couple of hours or so with advert breaks, loud music and go-go dancers when a six is scored.
Basically it's shit but i's what the public want

That made my bottom lip quiver :(

what is it with people that everything has to be bang crash wallop and over quickly (much like my sex life!) as you say there is a real art in watching a batsman slowly build a innings, or even one scratching about trying to find form. A bowler spending 6 or 7 overs setting a batsman up, its a art...when its gone, its gone.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This new T20 competition is a huge misjudgement. The UK simply doesn't get behind new Franchise's and a country immersed in a culture of County Cricket and Town / City football isn't ever going to embrace it. As an example, I'm no Warwickshire fan being Sussex born and bred but I would go along to the odd game for something to do. There is no way I will watch the ''Birmingham Brummies'' and I doubt anyone with a football background from Coventry, West Brom, Wolverhampton etc will either. It immediate alienates a certain section of the fan base.

The thinking seems to be that it works in India so that is the answer here and it isn't comparing like with like albeit I'm sure it will increase participation amongst younger clientele. The answer for me was to simply increase the number of overseas players in the current T20 format and maybe reduce the number of games which bloated a few years back.

... it works in Australia too. But the ECB doesn't seem to have twigged that Australia has half a dozen big cities and that's it. You're not going to get someone from Liverpool following a Manchester team, nor someone from Sheffield following Leeds.

The other issue is whether Sky will pay enough to make it worthwhile - the talk was of £40m per year but I don't see how that sum could pay good money to 120 players AND reward counties.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

If it is a crumb of comfort, the new T20 competition, as much as I don't like it all, is promising just shy of two million pounds to each of the counties.

It's an awful necessity. But at least us traditionalists will see the Championship survive. I suspect the three day format may be back on the table soon though.

Perhaps one day us longer format NSCers should have a day at a championship game. We can have a few drinks and bemoan how cricket is now for people who don't like cricket. For that is where it has gone.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
It's all about the money. The new T20 Thrash will fund the dying embers of County Cricket for the next few years.

The answer to your question about who to support is something like the "South Coast Smashers" playing at the Toilet Bowl, but it is not really aimed at you anyway :nono:

The new t20 competition will be played in addition to the existing one - so we can still support Sussex and completely ignore the Smashers if we want to (I know I will).

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Its still sitting in the sun, enjoying a beer, so what's not to like.

Did see that Sussex were playing a pre season friendly Monday last week, free entry. Thought it would be a lovely way to spend a couple of hours on what was a sunny day.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Except it's the Test hosting clubs in trouble: Durham has a 48-point deduction, Yorkshire is in dire financial straits and could go the same way and Glamorgan lost over £300,000 last year. Sussex, on the other hand, made a small profit.

The problem is that the Test clubs spent a small fortune making their grounds fit for international cricket and it's money they've not clawed back. Only Middlesex and Surrey seem immune to this.

Could not agree with you more,T20 in the UK will not last simply because of the weather and ambiance. Look at the Southern Hemisphere finish the day early (due to heat after an early start) and then the Beach or Cricket maybe even the Rules and to sit in 70+ temps shorts and shirt we can't sell that in England no matter how hard you try. Long time Sussex fan here,but you are right Derbyshire everything over Yorkshire as like Sussex they have returned a profit and therefore hold the Whip Hand.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I love cricket but won't be watching the city based 20 over competition. No interest in that.

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks

And even then that is because Middlesex don't own Lords and have a cosy agreement with the MCC to play there. Surrey Cricket is just an inconvenient offshoot of The Oval Events Complex, a very well run business which makes sure the conference and banqueting facilities in central London are used practically every day. If they could get rid of the playing area and have more rooms and maybe a hotel, they would be even happier.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here