Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scientists have detected an atmosphere around an Earth-like planet for the first time.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
They have studied a world known as GJ 1132b, which is 1.4-times the size of our planet and lies 39 light years away.

Their observations suggest that the "super-Earth" is cloaked in a thick layer of gasses that are either water or methane or a mixture of both.

Discovering an atmosphere, and characterising it, is an important step forward in the hunt for life beyond our Solar System.

But it is highly unlikely that this world is habitable: it has a surface temperature of 370C.

Dr John Southworth, the lead researcher from Keele University, said: "To my knowledge the hottest temperature that life has been able to survive on Earth is 120C and that's far cooler than this planet."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39521344

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Come back to me when they find something worthwhile.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
They have studied a world known as GJ 1132b, which is 1.4-times the size of our planet and lies 39 light years away.

Their observations suggest that the "super-Earth" is cloaked in a thick layer of gasses that are either water or methane or a mixture of both.

Discovering an atmosphere, and characterising it, is an important step forward in the hunt for life beyond our Solar System.

But it is highly unlikely that this world is habitable: it has a surface temperature of 370C.

Dr John Southworth, the lead researcher from Keele University, said: "To my knowledge the hottest temperature that life has been able to survive on Earth is 120C and that's far cooler than this planet."

I never really understand why they always judge potential life on other planets by the situation that happened it to allow it on ours. In the highly likely scenario that there is life somewhere else, why would it have to breath oxygen and live in a temperature below about 60C? If it's that far away then surely it's just as likely it's a completely different setup?

I will admit that these scientist are probably slightly more clued up on the subject than I am though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

It's all well and good discovering new planets in our SS.
But there's still a massive percentage of our oceans which are yet to be explored, these probably hold evidence of earth's existence and clues to how the SS was born.
Fascinating stuff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

GJ1132b is a really shit name. Those aliens don't have much of an imagination.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and the inhabitants have a ball to play with after Leo's penalty.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Pah - next you'll be telling me they've detected an atmosphere at the Madejski Stadium.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
They spoke on the radio recently about Voyager having now left our solar system. So where has it gone? Does the next solar system start straight away, in which case why isn't there a planet on the edge of it. If it's not in the next solar system, then what is it in?

D

Deleted User X18H

This is bad news. I can see the scenario now.

Alien life confirmed.

EFL allow them to field a team. Little Green Men pip us for second.

It will happen. I know it.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
They spoke on the radio recently about Voyager having now left our solar system. So where has it gone? Does the next solar system start straight away, in which case why isn't there a planet on the edge of it. If it's not in the next solar system, then what is it in?
I think I read it would take another 300,000 years to reach the nearest solar system, or some other ridiculous amount of time. A long time anyway.

Dec 29, 2011
I never really understand why they always judge potential life on other planets by the situation that happened it to allow it on ours. In the highly likely scenario that there is life somewhere else, why would it have to breath oxygen and live in a temperature below about 60C? If it's that far away then surely it's just as likely it's a completely different setup?

I will admit that these scientist are probably slightly more clued up on the subject than I am though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always wondered this. Oxygen is harmful to most things on this planet, it just so happens we need it. There is also life on earth that survives at thousands of degrees of heat, why couldn't this type of life also exist in 300 degree heat?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here