Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Homegrown' players?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Hopefully this won't be an issue for us - after all, it is (apparently) not applicable to Premier League teams - but I am not sure I really understand the 'new rule' for the number of homegrown players, as explained here -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39517843

One in the matchday squad - what does that mean? One on the pitch (or on the bench)?
And the reference to 'Teams have previously had to include six home-grown players...' makes no sense to me either (clearly, because I do not understand the current rules well enough).

Can anyone explain in clear, simple English what the effect of these rule changes are? Does it mean more or less homegrown talent?

Sorry to be a bit thick on this aspect :facepalm:

Count Otto Black

Jul 22, 2015
home grown means players developed in the uk, club developed means specifically a player developed at that team, eg we have in our squad March, Dunk and possibly Walton

Match day squad is what it says on the tin.... the match SQUAD eg starting xi and subs

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think in the 'matchday squad' they class that as the '18' - so the 11 on the pitch plus subs. So for us, we could say Dunk who (I assume) has come through the youth ranks, but I don't think it includes players that clubs have bought young just to fill the quota - they have to have progressed through the ranks (U19's, U23's etc).

I may be wrong.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
From the EFL Rules and Regulations - Section 5 - Fixtures

33.7 Home Grown Players. Each Club shall be required to nominate a minimum of six Home Grown Players on their Team Sheet of Players for all League Competition Matches (including Play Off Matches).

33.8 ‘Home Grown Player’ shall mean a Player who irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with:-

33.8.1 his current Club; and/or

33.8.2 a Club and/or any other football club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales,

for a period, continuous or not of three Seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the Season during which he turns 21). For the purposes of this definition of Home Grown Player only, a Season will be deemed to commence on the date on which the first Transfer Window in that Season closes and expire on the date of the final League Match of the Season.

33.9 For the purposes of Regulation 33.8.2, but not otherwise, a Player who was at all times registered with a Club (or club) affiliated to the Football Association of Wales shall be treated as having been registered with a Club (or club) affiliated to The Football Association, and vice versa.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Also need to look at EU players post Brexit as it seems the PL and FA are at different ends of the spectrum for this.

PL want exemption for players on work visa requirements, whereas FA want tough rules so that while 'world class' footballers would be welcomed 'journeyman' players should be kept out to promote more homegrown players.

Handicapping PL teams in Europe and reducing the quality in the PL or a bold step to improve the English game and the England team?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Thanks to all who replied - very helpful.
So, I think it has finally sunk in - the main change is that clubs (except Premier League?) now not only have to have 6 players at the club who are 'homegrown', but also have to have at least one of those on the pitch or at least on the bench for every game?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Thanks to all who replied - very helpful.
So, I think it has finally sunk in - the main change is that clubs (except Premier League?) now not only have to have 6 players at the club who are 'homegrown', but also have to have at least one of those on the pitch or at least on the bench for every game?

No.

This season EFL clubs had to have at least 6 "homegrown" players in the matchday squad of 18 - these players could have been "homegrown" at any club affiliated to the FA or FAW. Today that was modified so that for next season the number increases to 7.

In addition, it was agreed today that from 2018-19 at least one player in the 18-man matchday squad would be "club-developed", ie registered to that specific club for at least one year before the end of his U-19 season.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
No.

This season EFL clubs had to have at least 6 "homegrown" players in the matchday squad of 18 - these players could have been "homegrown" at any club affiliated to the FA or FAW. Today that was modified so that for next season the number increases to 7.

In addition, it was agreed today that from 2018-19 at least one player in the 18-man matchday squad would be "club-developed", ie registered to that specific club for at least one year before the end of his U-19 season.

Ah, OK - I've got it at last :lolol: Thanks to all for your patience and clear explanations.
I'd like to say I won't ask any more daft questions, but that might be making a promise that I can't keep ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here