Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Using Books For Reference - Encyclopedias Dictionaries Atlases etc.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I have a large collection of reference books and was always referring to them pre Internet.

I don't bother at all now - using Google, Google Earth and Wikipedia for example.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I believe the appropriate response is:

COOL STORY BRO.

Same as. I have Encyclopedias galore, Atlases, History Books, Cookery Books.

If I need to know anything now all I do is open up the Internet and ask NSC.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Bit old-fashioned-I still refer to dictionaries/thesaurus as a lot of definitions on t'internet are a bit dubious,to put it mildly!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As a (part-time) University Lecturer, we don't like Internet references in work submitted by our Students as so much is complete bollocks.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can't beat a physical o.s map.

Indeed. I foolishly relied on Google Maps yesterday and got completely lost thanks to some inaccurate information. I have a complete collection of OS maps for Sussex and, in future, I'll take one with me if leaving the city

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I can't believe they still do telephone directories, especially the Yellow Pages. I honestly can't remember the last time I ever used one, but it was least a decade ago. We chucked out nearly all our old reference books, dictionaries and the like a few years ago as we realised we never used them any more. I don't think my son even owns a book.

EDIT: We've kept all the cookery books though!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Indeed. I foolishly relied on Google Maps yesterday and got completely lost thanks to some inaccurate information. I have a complete collection of OS maps for Sussex and, in future, I'll take one with me if leaving the city

This sounds rather sad but I will happily spend time 'reading' an o.s map without leaving the house.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can't believe they still do telephone directories, especially the Yellow Pages. I honestly can't remember the last time I ever used one, but it was least a decade ago. We chucked out nearly all our old reference books, dictionaries and the like a few years ago as we realised we never used them any more. I don't think my son even owns a book.

EDIT: We've kept all the cookery books though!

That seems rather sad. How old is your son?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Same here. I love maps, I have two boxes filled with them - it was an aberration of mine to rely on Google yesterday

I'm a Rights of Way Officer, and we're encouraged to use GPS ("accurate to one metre" apparently) and then clever computerised mapping systems for drawing plans and so on, along with smartphone touchscreen tracking devices, blah, blah, blah. I get laughed at when I still get out my OS maps, my pencil, clipboard and umbrella. But guess who is laughing when I'm sheltered under a brolly, taking notes with my pencil on my clipboard and following the path happily through the woods - whilst the rest are getting drenched, can't use the GPS because we're under trees and there's not enough satellites visible - and anyway every time they touch the screen to wipe the rain off it gives a false tracking signal - and then it cuts out because water has seeped into the battery, or it has got too cold to work?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I'm a Rights of Way Officer, and we're encouraged to use GPS ("accurate to one metre" apparently) and then clever computerised mapping systems for drawing plans and so on, along with smartphone touchscreen tracking devices, blah, blah, blah. I get laughed at when I still get out my OS maps, my pencil, clipboard and umbrella. But guess who is laughing when I'm sheltered under a brolly, taking notes with my pencil on my clipboard and following the path happily through the woods - whilst the rest are getting drenched, can't use the GPS because we're under trees and there's not enough satellites visible - and anyway every time they touch the screen to wipe the rain off it gives a false tracking signal - and then it cuts out because water has seeped into the battery, or it has got too cold to work?

I live right on the edge of the South Downs so bought the waterproof versions of the two local OS maps.

Won't be long until I pack my rucksack with sandwiches and a flask and I set off with my compass.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I have a large collection of reference books and was always referring to them pre Internet.

I don't bother at all now - using Google, Google Earth and Wikipedia for example.

I was just thinking about this the other day-there is a book i would like in a book shop,it's basically about WW2 naval stuff,but its £25 pound and to be honest having given it some thought i just can't seem to go into the shop to buy it....the internet is where i do most research.

The broader potential problems of course are less sales,less book shops (as if) less people writing and less book makers,people writing even....

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was just thinking about this the other day-there is a book i would like in a book shop,it's basically about WW2 naval stuff,but its £25 pound and to be honest having given it some thought i just can't seem to go into the shop to buy it....the internet is where i do most research.

The broader potential problems of course are less sales,less book shops (as if) less people writing and less book makers,people writing even....

I think there is still a place for books - just not general reference books.

There's nothing better than reading a decent novel for instance on the beach or in the park - whereas reading an ebook would be difficult in the sunshine etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here