Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Term time Dad loses in the Supreme Court

Good.

Means less people will be inclined to take theirs away in September when I always take my holidays for the sole reason of NOT having to put up with other peoples brats.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Good.

Means less people will be inclined to take theirs away in September when I always take my holidays for the sole reason of NOT having to put up with other peoples brats.

Agreed, and the fact that the self important bell end has lost (for now) makes me happy.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
What annoys me most is that schools shut on a whim and take teaching days away from children when it suits them without any regard to inconvenience to parents. Roles are reversed and parents get fined.

As an example, my kids' school recently had to put two classes in temporary classrooms whilst building works were carried out. Rather than get the teachers to give up two days of their enormous holidays to get the rooms ready, the school shut down entirely for two days. A whole school of parents having to sort out two days childcare. We've got a whole week shutdown in September whilst they move back into the new building. There's then a week in June where there are two inset days and a sports day in one week, plus two days of 'sport' for the remainder of the week. If that isn't an invitation to take your kids out and go on a cheaper holiday when they're learning sod all I don't know what is.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Thank goodness.

How the hell can schools impose any discipline on the inside if they can't rely on government to enforce the basic expectations of parents on the outside. Them's the rules we sign up to as society. It's the social contract.

If you can't afford to take the kids to Disneyland during the school holidays, then you can't afford it. It sucks, but it's life.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with the ruling but don't understand why the government don't do more to attempt to stop this stitch up where we are all at the mercy of 50-100% mark ups for taking holiday in the 6 week break. Why isn't the holiday season staggered across the country? I'd like to see what happens to prices if the six week school holiday varied 2 weeks either side of the status quo, based on the school you were at. I should imagine prices would eventually fall a little, maybe 20% across all ten weeks.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Now talking of giving teachers duvet days here in Lincolnshire, one rule for them, one for the parents.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I agree with the ruling but don't understand why the government don't do more to attempt to stop this stitch up where we are all at the mercy of 50-100% mark ups for taking holiday in the 6 week break. Why isn't the holiday season staggered across the country? I'd like to see what happens to prices if the six week school holiday varied 2 weeks either side of the status quo, based on the school you were at. I should imagine prices would eventually fall a little, maybe 20% across all ten weeks.

While in agreement as I currently suffer from those mark-ups, my fear with your proposal is that it was just amount to a ten week period with 50-100% mark-ups rather than any substantial reduction.
But as a fully paid-up member of the metropolitan intellectual elite, I'm delighted with the ruling which reinforces the importance of education over (what was in this instance) frivolity at Disneyland.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Good. Not a great example to his children breaking the school rules to go on holiday. Such a disregard for the law .

If one person does this then what happens when all other parents start to do this... Constantly kids having to play catch up on the curriculum and affecting other children's learning as they will be going over old ground for the kids that weren't there.

As for the holiday price hikes during the holiday. This is just a part and parcel of supply and demand. You can't make private companies reduce their prices so people can go on holiday.

If you are someone pulling your kid out of school for a cheaper holiday you are basically valuing money over your child's education.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Don't worry. The government will get involved and start getting involved with things they shouldn't and start telling these companies they can't uplift prices during school holiday periods.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
guy on BBC breakfast reckons all the parents taking their children out in school time were "feckless"

Interesting. A old friend of mine was losing his father to the big C and as a last family holiday booked a trip to Machu Picchu as this would have been his last time to be with the family. He approached the school, explained the situation and initially the head was sympathetic and agreed. Another parent found out about this ( via the school secretary) and went to the local council saying it was unfair as she was refused taking her child out at Christmas to go to Lap land to see father christmas. The council agreed and said that there were no extenuating circumstances - tough shit that the grandad was dying....suffice it to say after much upset they took the children out of school anyway and ended up with a fine!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Good. Not a great example to his children breaking the school rules to go on holiday. Such a disregard for the law .

If one person does this then what happens when all other parents start to do this... Constantly kids having to play catch up on the curriculum and affecting other children's learning as they will be going over old ground for the kids that weren't there.

As for the holiday price hikes during the holiday. This is just a part and parcel of supply and demand. You can't make private companies reduce their prices so people can go on holiday.

If you are someone pulling your kid out of school for a cheaper holiday you are basically valuing money over your child's education.

Nonsense. Kids could go on holiday in term time when I was growing up, as long as the school was informed. It still works out cheaper to pay £60 fine and save £200 on a holiday.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ofcourse the kids should go to school, just do something about the cost of holidays when they are off, that's what needs fixing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What annoys me most is that schools shut on a whim and take teaching days away from children when it suits them without any regard to inconvenience to parents. Roles are reversed and parents get fined.

As an example, my kids' school recently had to put two classes in temporary classrooms whilst building works were carried out. Rather than get the teachers to give up two days of their enormous holidays to get the rooms ready, the school shut down entirely for two days. A whole school of parents having to sort out two days childcare. We've got a whole week shutdown in September whilst they move back into the new building. There's then a week in June where there are two inset days and a sports day in one week, plus two days of 'sport' for the remainder of the week. If that isn't an invitation to take your kids out and go on a cheaper holiday when they're learning sod all I don't know what is.

Construction work is hardly a whim. Inset days are not part of the academic year they are 5 days additional days that teachers have for CPD and training, often addressing key points from the School Development Plan.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Now talking of giving teachers duvet days here in Lincolnshire, one rule for them, one for the parents.

Offering staff an extra day's holiday is nothing new in many industries. Why would teaching be any different. Unfortunately, we're suffering a skills shortage. There aren't enough teachers and too many are leaving the profession. Heads have to do what they can to retain the skills they need.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Whilst I don't think there's a case in this particular instance, I can think of some scenarios where a holiday may have a long term benefit to the child comparable of that at being at school. Especially if their attendence and attainment is generally good.

However, I do side with the system here. Teachers have a hard enough job without dealing with the disruption from dealing with absences all over the place.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Fair enough but agree with many of the points on both sides of this

For example my daughters school shut at lunchtime the other week so it could get ready for an 'open evening'

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you can't afford to take the kids to Disneyland during the school holidays
I can't.
then you can't afford it.
I clearly can, I just took them in term time.

I don't disagree with the court ruling though. £60 on top of the trip is still a huge saving. Although our school didn't fine us. And our kids attendance is still way over 95%, even with the holiday.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Whilst I don't think there's a case in this particular instance, I can think of some scenarios where a holiday may have a long term benefit to the child comparable of that at being at school. Especially if their attendence and attainment is generally good.

However, I do side with the system here. Teachers have a hard enough job without dealing with the disruption from dealing with absences all over the place.

This is the key point, it is not necessarily the disruption to the individual pupil, but each time a pupil is away, they've missed part of the curriculum that the teacher will need to spend time catching them up on. If they have to do that repeatedly, then the whole class is being impacted by absences.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here