Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cat D write off

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Would you buy one?

Mrs Spongys car is dead so we need to buy a replacement and pretty quick.

I've been trawling autotrader and other various sites the last few days and my searches keep bringing up this car.

I've been doing a lot of reading and as far as I can ascertain a Cat D is minor damage or stolen/recovered. I've spoken to the dealer and they've told me it needed a new rear bumper.

A Cat D doesn't get issued with a certificate to detail the damage which tells me it wasn't bad. After all if the previous owner was only paying £250 a year insurance and a car needed a new bumper then I would imagine an insurance company would write a car off as uneconomical to repair.

I'm considering going to have a good look at it today and checking for misaligned panels, creases under carpets and in the boot etc and welding work.

The price is very good and is,probably reflected by it being a car D.

Thoughts? This car is going to be an interim replacement for a couple of years at most hopefully so resale value isn't an issue.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It is probably worthwhile talking to your current insurer to seek their view on insuring a Cat D write off, as some insurers are wary of covering and may need evidence of repairs. Also you will need to declare that the vehicle is a Cat D when you come to insure it anyway, as the value will be less than than a similar model which has not be written off.

You have not mentioned the age of the vehicle, but if it has such items as rear parking sensors, etc when you give it a look over you will need to ensure that these are still aligned and working along with any rear view camera.

As a Cat D it should be at least 25% cheaper than a non damaged version.

As resale is not important if the repairs have been done well it should provide years of driving without issue

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i've always thought that Cat D are fine is you little interest in the resale value, and difficulty in reselling. ideal for disposable cars or young lads that just going to "soup up" and lower the value anyway. you might find some insurers wont touch it or increase premiums (on the notion it could have hidden damage - the insurance industry saying they dont trust their own assessors).

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
We've spoken to the insurance company and they're OK with it as long as it has a valid MOT.

It's a Honda Civic on a 55 plate and 43K miles. I've checked the MOT history on the dvla site. Two failures in its life. Once for tyres and once for droplinks which then passed the next year with no advisories so obviously fixed. The photos look good but I'll obviously have to go look in person.

I've never had a Honda before but they have an excellent reputation

LVGull

May 13, 2016
We've spoken to the insurance company and they're OK with it as long as it has a valid MOT.

It's a Honda Civic on a 55 plate and 43K miles. I've checked the MOT history on the dvla site. Two failures in its life. Once for tyres and once for droplinks which then passed the next year with no advisories so obviously fixed. The photos look good but I'll obviously have to go look in person.

I've never had a Honda before but they have an excellent reputation

Apart from F1

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Civic I have had one loved it good cars

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Apart from F1

Giving away your age young man ...
Yes, the recent return of Honda to F1 has not gone well - but they powered Mansell, Prost and Senna to the title 6 years in a row between 86-91

Had a Cat [something] a few years ago and it's stated on the log-book - couple of possible buyers dropped out .... car was fine

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Giving away your age young man ...
Yes, the recent return of Honda to F1 has not gone well - but they powered Mansell, Prost and Senna to the title 6 years in a row between 86-91

Had a Cat [something] a few years ago and it's stated on the log-book - couple of possible buyers dropped out .... car was fine

Ha ha I remember those days, I was only referring to recently.

It's a shane Honda can't replicate that performance.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
She might be married to the eternally unfunny Patrick Kielty and she's getting on a bit but she's hardly a write off.

cat-deeley-film-is-great-reception-in-los-angeles-2-24-2017-3.jpg

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Went to have a look today.

They didn't even clean it before viewing.

The rest of the car looked great but the rear bumper wasn't sitting quite right. Had a look underneath and bumper had obviously had a smack. The support was a bit creased but nothing major. Not enough to affect anything mechanical or structural. Just looked wrong so walked away.

Shame as the rest of it was good.

The search continues

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here