Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We'll be back in 84!

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Can anyone else remember standing in the North Stand on the 7th May 1983 as we lost to Man City to seal our relegation, whilst Fozzie ran round trying to get sent off so that his suspension wouldn't cause him to miss the cup final, belting out "we'll be back in 84"? I had forgotten all about it but it keeps coming to mind lately! Hopefully we were only wrong by 34 years!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Can anyone else remember standing in the North Stand on the 7th May 1983 as we lost to Man City to seal our relegation, whilst Fozzie ran round trying to get sent off so that his suspension wouldn't cause him to miss the cup final, belting out "we'll be back in 84"? I had forgotten all about it but it keeps coming to mind lately! Hopefully we were only wrong by 34 years!

Yes I do!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Same chant was sung at the FA Cup Final replay.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Yes I was there , kicked off with the city fans if I remember

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We sang "We'll be back" to the tune of "Here we go" on the Saturday at Wembley too...

We were right.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I was there but don't think Foster could have done anything about missing the cup final by then. Red cards didn't automatically mean suspensions in the next match in those days. He had to get a second booking in the Notts County away match to avoid missing the final, but the referee wouldn't oblige.

D

Deleted User X18H

It's amazing to think the club has played in the FA Cup Final more recently than the top flight.

D

Deleted User X18H

I was there but don't think Foster could have done anything about missing the cup final by then. Red cards didn't automatically mean suspensions in the next match in those days. He had to get a second booking in the Notts County away match to avoid missing the final, but the referee wouldn't oblige.

Even though at one point he actually caught the ball!

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill

You might be right, I seem to remember debate at the time, but he was certainly trying.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Remember it all so well.

HASSOCKS-BHA

Jun 11, 2012
Remember a bunch of City fans in the West Stand (Lower standing area) singing "We hope you win the cup".......!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here