Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aging Mountain Bikers

Nostalgia

Mar 22, 2012
Any older mountain bikers 40s, 50s 60s get out and about in the Shoreham, Brighton, Worthing area, organised groups or individuals, need to get to know the tracks and trails.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I used to regularly ride the Downslink trail from Christ's Hospital to Shoreham. Not too testing and plenty of places en route for a bite to eat or a drink. Lovely on a Spring afternoon

I'll ditto that too.

Went further than that and got to Guildford.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I've just booked up for the London Brighton off road again over North & South Downs only 75 miles, walk in the park :wozza:

I regularly do the downs link going across from East Grinstead through Crawley then down from horsham, I make it about 80 miles, going on to Washington should take it over 90.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Another one for the Downslink, a lovely not too taxing ride with options for stops, part routes or the whole 37 miles ( you must be taking some almighty wrong turns to wring 80 miles out of the 36.7 mile route!!!). Very easy to get up onto the downs via Mill Hill or at various points along the Link.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I regularly do the downs link going across from East Grinstead through Crawley then down from horsham, I make it about 80 miles, going on to Washington should take it over 90.

That's definitely not the DownsLink you're doing. This is the Downslink route, which is 37 miles and doesn't pass through many of the places you mention. The Downslink is a very specific route following the old Downslink railway line linking Shoreham-by-Sea with Guildford. The map below is slightly wrong at the end, continuing onto Brighton. 90 miles is a cracking ride though, especially when you consider it's only 33 miles from E. Grindstead to Shoreham. What on earth are you doing out there on your bike?

View attachment 83567

Last edited:

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton mtb do regular weekly rides in stanmer woods. Thursday night is a good place to start for a nice gentle pace. They do a Tues ride for faster riders and arrange stuff at the weekend.
If you're into the more extreme downhill stuff, steyning has some great trails off the side of the downs, they are ability graded blue red and purple. I'm 43 and I'm still throwing myself down the red runs although it does seem to hurt more these days when you fall off.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Get yourself over to Stanmer Woods for some riding - good selection of trails for all abilities, & easy to follow. Also got the tea rooms for those much needed breaks! If you are able to go further try Friston Forest, which is also a great mtb hub.

Personally, I love the area out the back of Peacehaven, Rottingdean, Woodingdean & Falmer...all the way up to Ditchling Beacon. There are some lovely trails that way - and some serious climbing if you like that sort of thing!

To join up with other people, try looking at Brighton MTB on Facebook - or get in touch with your local club, who will probably have an MTB section which you can get involved with.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
8 of us, all in our 40s, getting the train to Guildford and riding the Downs Link to Shoreham as a warm up for our trip to Normandy in June to visit all the D-day beaches

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
8 of us, all in our 40s, getting the train to Guildford and riding the Downs Link to Shoreham as a warm up for our trip to Normandy in June to visit all the D-day beaches

What a great trip.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
That's definitely not the DownsLink you're doing. This is the Downslink route, which is 37 miles and doesn't pass through many of the places you mention. The Downslink is a very specific route following the old Downslink railway line linking Shoreham-by-Sea with Guildford. The map below is slightly wrong at the end, continuing onto Brighton. 90 miles is a cracking ride though, especially when you consider it's only 33 miles from E. Grindstead to Shoreham. What on earth are you doing out there on your bike?

View attachment 83567

It is the downs link I am doing, but as I said from Horsham not Guildford, try reading what I posted. East Grinstead to Crawley, then Pease Pottage to Southwater then downslink to Shoreham.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It is the downs link I am doing, but as I said from Horsham not Guildford, try reading what I posted. East Grinstead to Crawley, then Pease Pottage to Southwater then downslink to Shoreham.

Ah, you take the Downs Link part way to finish off. Gotcha. Great ride and nice way to finish.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Ageing, but not as old as you. Ride on the road more now though. Peaslake isn't too far, 50 minutes in a car from Brighton. Best riding in the South East over there. Haven't rode Stanmer or Wild park for a few years now. Brighton Big Dog 2012 maybe.
Quite fancy giving the BHF London to Brighton off road ride a go.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Ah, you take the Downs Link part way to finish off. Gotcha. Great ride and nice way to finish.

Yea thats halfway though, as I go back the same route. Planning on carrying on through Brighton to Eastbourne then north at some point.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yea thats halfway though, as I go back the same route. Planning on carrying on through Brighton to Eastbourne then north at some point.

You could probably figure out a round trip from Eastbourne. Hats off to you, way more than I could do in a day. You'd get some stunning views going into Eastbourne.

Nostalgia

Mar 22, 2012
Get yourself over to Stanmer Woods for some riding - good selection of trails for all abilities, & easy to follow. Also got the tea rooms for those much needed breaks! If you are able to go further try Friston Forest, which is also a great mtb hub.

Personally, I love the area out the back of Peacehaven, Rottingdean, Woodingdean & Falmer...all the way up to Ditchling Beacon. There are some lovely trails that way - and some serious climbing if you like that sort of thing!

To join up with other people, try looking at Brighton MTB on Facebook - or get in touch with your local club, who will probably have an MTB section which you can get involved with.

Thanks Fignon, looks like the place to find others doing similar things and get to know the area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here