Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No 40 Bus service

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The service to Brighton is being withdrawn wef 24th April as the company say it is unviable which rather surprising as it always seems quite busy even if most passengers are on free passes. I thought that all of these passes when presented for any journey were paid for by the local government but obviously that is not so.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
That is bad news BG. Even with OAP' bus passes if it does not pay then bus companies cannot continue. I am very lucky as the coaster 12 service between Brighton and Eastbourne is so popular with tourists that I have a wonderful 10 minutes service to town or Brighton and Eastboune

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The service to Brighton is being withdrawn wef 24th April as the company say it is unviable which rather surprising as it always seems quite busy even if most passengers are on free passes. I thought that all of these passes when presented for any journey were paid for by the local government but obviously that is not so.

I think the bus company gets 90p or similar for each journey on a bus pass (it might be more now) so it won't be viable if there aren't full paying customers as well.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

The 271 still operates does it not BG?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Is there an argument for a national bus service? To replace local companies and competition. Imagine if your Network Saver would take you across the country, does anyone not think that would be a good idea?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is bad news BG. Even with OAP' bus passes if it does not pay then bus companies cannot continue. I am very lucky as the coaster 12 service between Brighton and Eastbourne is so popular with tourists that I have a wonderful 10 minutes service to town or Brighton and Eastboune

Many times on the 40 from Haywards Heath to Brighton it is standing room only from Burgess Hill and back again at certain times of the day. They have withdrawn the 37 to Crawley thus giving metro buses a monopoly. I would have thought the ideal answer would have been to extend the 40 from Brighton to Crawley and back again so a bus either way every 2 hours from HH and BH to Brighton or Crawley

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

40 – We regret that this route is withdrawn. The increased number of buses on the Haywards Heath – Brighton corridor means this service is no longer financially viable. Alternative services to Brighton are operated by Metrobus.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The 271 still operates does it not BG?

Yes and the 270 which provide a better service as the 270 goes about 6 mins past the hour and then either the 271 or 272 to Royal Sussex at 20 mins to the hour alternating every hour. This probably eats into the 40 which runs to Brighton via Burgess Hill at 5 mins to the hour which competes with the no 33 to Hurstpierpoint at about 3 mins to the hour then nothing for nearly an hour. Hence people going to and from BH use the metro bus more often.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've just seen that Metrobus have introduced a new timetable for the 271, with buses running more frequently between Crawley, Haywards Heath, and Brighton, from 29th April, presumably as a reaction to SussexBus withdrawing their 40 service.

I wonder exactly where that leaves SussexBus, as they have withdrawn many of their routes now. Indeed do they still operate any of their services? For a short time they operated the 17A, an hourly frequency from Horsham to Henfield, but that lasted no more than a few months.

Jul 7, 2003
I've just seen that Metrobus have introduced a new timetable for the 271, with buses running more frequently between Crawley, Haywards Heath, and Brighton, from 29th April, presumably as a reaction to SussexBus withdrawing their 40 service.

I wonder exactly where that leaves SussexBus, as they have withdrawn many of their routes now. Indeed do they still operate any of their services? For a short time they operated the 17A, an hourly frequency from Horsham to Henfield, but that lasted no more than a few months.

SussexBus went last year - Compass took over the route. Sadly, Metrobus did their usual thing of trying to stamp put opposition but running buses at almost identical times which is no good for the customer but who cares about them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sussex Bus Company with their buses which kept breaking down was taken over by Compass Buses based in Worthing at the end of 2016 and gradually they have withdrawn more and more services which has opened the way for metro buses.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sussex Bus Company with their buses which kept breaking down was taken over by Compass Buses based in Worthing at the end of 2016 and gradually they have withdrawn more and more services which has opened the way for metro buses.

Ahhh that will explain why I haven't seen any of their old red buses for a while then. I believe their forerunner was another short lived company called Countryliner.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here