Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falklands '82

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Discussing the Falklands War with a work colleague earlier as it was 35 years ago yesterday that it started, and he knew nothing about it. Fair enough, he was only just born when it started, but to not know anything about the conflict really surprised me....especially since his father was in the Marines.

Although I was only 7 at the time, I still remember the footage vividly on the news - & welcoming the ships home afterwards.

35 years....Im feeling old.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Discussing the Falklands War with a work colleague earlier as it was 35 years ago yesterday that it started, and he knew nothing about it. Fair enough, he was only just born when it started, but to not know anything about the conflict really surprised me....especially since his father was in the Marines.

Although I was only 7 at the time, I still remember the footage vividly on the news - & welcoming the ships home afterwards.

35 years....Im feeling old.
It does seem all that long ago.
I remember the reporting of the war on the BBC, by Brian Hanrahan and John Knott.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I remember it well as my dad went there for 6 months to rebuild Port Stanley airfield after we bombed the stuffing out of it. He was with the Royal Engineers and missed out on a medal by two weeks as the conflict was officially over. Either that or he had another family on the go! I was about 10 at the time.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
I was unemployed and living in Guildford at the time - remember it all vividly from the Saturday morning of the initial invasion through to HMS Sheffield being reported sunk live on BBC. I created a daily scrap book of newspaper cuttings which is in the loft somewhere and collected quite a lot relating to the war. Even wrote to Thatcher, John Knott and Rex Hunt for some reason and got replies back!

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I know almost nothing about it and anything I do know was self taught. I did History all the way through A level too and it was never ever mentioned in any of my studies. The problem is we have such a vast and interesting history on this island that so much can't fit into the curriculum. I was born in 1990 FWIW.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It does seem all that long ago.
I remember the reporting of the war on the BBC, by Brian Hanrahan and John Knott.

And Brian Hanrahan reporting, 'I counted them all out, and I counted them all back', when watching RAF Harriers return to HMS Invincible from a bombing raid on the Argentinian forces.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
And Brian Hanrahan reporting, 'I counted them all out, and I counted them all back', when watching RAF Harriers return to HMS Invincible from a bombing raid on the Argentinian forces.

He said that because the Argentinians were lying, saying they'd shot down our planes.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I know almost nothing about it and anything I do know was self taught. I did History all the way through A level too and it was never ever mentioned in any of my studies. The problem is we have such a vast and interesting history on this island that so much can't fit into the curriculum. I was born in 1990 FWIW.

You should watch this video, its very interesting.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
One of the friends I made later in life was a young engineer on board HMS Sheffield at the time. He survived with no physical injuries, but it still has a bearing on pretty much every day of his life.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I'm sorry, but I find that absolutely amazing. Hardly your fault if it wasn't on the curriculum. But it was the last time this country went to war!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Yes that was his way of getting around the reporting restrictions of the war, quite clever really.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The comedienne Miranda Hart's father was commander of HMS Coventry, lost in the Falklands War. He ,later became a Vice Admiral I believe..

Maybe that's a good way of achieving promotion, to lose your ship!

He said that because the Argentinians were lying, saying they'd shot down our planes.

If I recall correctly, The Argentine's were claiming to have shot down more harriers than we sent there.

And I'm sure I've read somewhere they claimed to have sunk Hermes.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

The majority were Fleet air Arm Sea Harriers, not many RAF pilots had the experience for deck landings.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The comedienne Miranda Hart's father was commander of HMS Coventry, lost in the Falklands War. He ,later became a Vice Admiral I believe..

Maybe that's a good way of achieving promotion, to lose your ship!

I had a good mate went down with the Coventry, Petty Officer Steve Dawson. RIP

Also, three good blokes on the Sheffield, Petty Officer Bob Fagin, Cook Ian Swallow,and Cook Neil Goodall.

Last edited:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I was a student in Portsmouth which is where the Task Force sailed from and I have very clear memories which ranged from the very real anxiety of people in the town with relatives heading to the conflict to the more bizarre; like a local shop placing a sign saying that it would not be stocking any corned beef for patriotic reasons. One of the strangest things was that it took place at the height of the fear of nuclear attack and the belief that we were always only seconds away from annihilation. The thought that a fleet could give the enemy a month's notice of their arrival by sea seemed so different from the type of conflict that we were expecting.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here