Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

What's the right age to let your children listen to swearing in music/films?

0 Not allowed!
    I've kept the kids away from swearing, but things like Spotify and YouTube make that tricky. My kids are pretty good at stopping watching things that they notice have swearing in, but I feel like telling them they don't have to any more.

It also means not letting them see threads on here, because you're are all potty mouthed [email protected]

So, at what age is it ok to just let them listen to all music, watch all YT, and read the depraved NSC?
    Thank you Chris, you're a legend.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Super Moderator

3 Not allowed!
      When they are old enough to understand not repeating it in front of their mother / teacher / vicar etc...

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      When they are old enough to understand not repeating it in front of their mother / teacher / vicar etc...
      That's pretty young then?
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
      I look nothing like him! Jack Straw's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
      I once heard a discussion on swearing a long while ago, and one of the learned quoted "The reason why people swear is because they're not bright enough to think of a word to use, so use a swear word as the default." By preaching this philosophy to kids may make them think what they say? It may lower their opinion of swearers? So they may hear swearing, but won't swear themselves?
      I told these words of wisdom to a friend of mine years ago and his response was "What a load of f****** b*******, which seemed to prove my point!

0 Not allowed!
      Difficult one i have the same issues, i went to play my skunk anansie CD in the car the other day with my 10 year old sat next to me and thought this may not be a good idea!

My dad once heard me swear at home in my early teens, it never happened at home again.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
      I once heard a discussion on swearing a long while ago, and one of the learned quoted "The reason why people swear is because they're not bright enough to think of a word to use, so use a swear word as the default." By preaching this philosophy to kids may make them think what they say? It may lower their opinion of swearers? So they may hear swearing, but won't swear themselves?
      I told these words of wisdom to a friend of mine years ago and his response was "What a load of f****** b*******, which seemed to prove my point!
      Unfortunately for that theory, it has been shown by several studies that people who swear tend to be brighter than those who don't. Most recently a study by Marist College in NY found that "speakers who use taboo words understand their general expressive content as well as nuanced distinctions that must be drawn to use slurs appropriately. The ability to make nuanced distinctions indicates the presence of more rather than less linguistic knowledge, as implied by the POV [Poverty of Vocabulary] view."
      Obviously there is not a 100% direct correlation, some swearers are properly stupid c**nts...

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mouldy Boots View Post
      Difficult one i have the same issues, i went to play my skunk anansie CD in the car the other day with my 10 year old sat next to me and thought this may not be a good idea!
      You could always try a variation on this:
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      We worked on about 9 years old but with VERY strict instructions that if we ever caught them using swear words then they would be in deep s**t ( although we used the word poo ).
      BAN Village Idiots
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Do you take them to football?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by McTavish View Post
      You could always try a variation on this:
      I think my son would be equally as unimpressed as that lad was!