Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 1969/70 warning

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
In contrast to the weekends relentless threads counting up our poultry friends over and over again.
Its worth reading a rather good piece in the Albion programme this week about the lessons of the 1969/70 season.

6 games to go , there we were , top of the table.

Were we promoted ? No we weren't.

table1970.png

We lost 4 out of the last 5 and that pack caught us. (admittedly in those days the pack had a lot of games in hand, we didn't have a gap of 9 points and/or a healthy goal difference/average;).

brighton1970.png

Boo ! Do like that kit though.

brighton6970.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That's nothing like as nailed on as this season. As you said, look at the games played column FFS

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

LVGull

May 13, 2016
In contrast to the weekends relentless threads counting up our poultry friends over and over again.
Its worth reading a rather good piece in the Albion programme this week about the lessons of the 1969/70 season.

View attachment 83530

We lost 4 out of the last 5 and that pack caught us. (admittedly in those days the pack had a lot of games in hand, we didn't have a gap of 9 points and/or a healthy goal difference/average;).

View attachment 83531

View attachment 83532

What a load of tosh. Played more than the teams behind, teams behind had better points per game average and a lot tighter.

We are up, why these pointless threads???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Remember going close that season, under Freddie Goodwin, but oddly I don't remember being top of the table with six to go. Oh well, it was a long time ago, and soon to be eclipsed by exciting times under Pat Saward.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
'Source close to club' hints at new kit for next season!
Of course there'll be a new kit next season - it's as inevitable as international breaks and Christmas coming in December. Not this one though, thanks (although liked it at the time, but not now).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
'Source close to club' hints at new kit for next season!

Fraid not. I'm actually quite distant and I've no idea what Nike are coming up with. Also think of the fuss if we got rid of stripes.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

View attachment 83530

View attachment 83531

View attachment 83532

No comparison to this season at all ,

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Remember it all so well . Pompey and Birmingham beaten in the League Cup followed by the 3rd round tie at home to Wolves going out 3 - 2 with the North Stand goal covered in bog roll .32000 plus in attendance . Sadly petered out in the league at the end . A really enjoyable season though .
I am in the Alan Duffy scoring v Bradford pic with my bobble hat holding my rattle with my dear Dad standing just behind me , happy memories . The rattle is now in the Amex museum .

Attachments

• img672.jpg
    img672.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 229
  • img671.jpg
    img671.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 235
  • img673.jpg
    img673.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 172
  • img674.jpg
    img674.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 195
  • img675.jpg
    img675.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 228
  • img660.jpg
    img660.jpg
    727.5 KB · Views: 228
  • img670.jpg
    img670.jpg
    910.4 KB · Views: 229

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Another reminder of how old i now am :facepalm: ...watched most home games that season including those three epic league cup games
still we had some giants playing for us that year....look at that lot in the fourth row :whistle:

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Slightly difficult to compare given the games in hand issue but even more so that it was only 2 points for a win back then.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Obviously different circumstances now compared with 69/70 but, at the same time, nothing is certain YET. It is, as it has always been for me, one game at a time. Anything can happen – Burton scored the only goal of the game in the 96th minute, FFS!

Until it is mathematically impossible for anyone to catch the Albion, I'm keeping my powder dry.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Apples and oranges come to mind ... the 69/70 example doesn't even come close to being similar to where we are now. Without having read it, it sounds like the article was written as a "filler" piece. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows that tables where the games played column has so much variance aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Even at the 2 points per win from back then, we could have played no games while the others played their games in hand and found ourselves in a much worse position on the table. It's a complete non-comparison with this season.

Having said that: it's still very possible that we could drop the ball and fail to get automatic, then crumble in the playoffs and not go up at all. It's possible. It's *more* possible, with Hudds having dropped points on the weekend, that we go up via an auto. Even if we assume Hudds win their game in hand (worst case scenario for us), we're 6 points up, and with our GD Hudds in reality need to gain a further 7 points from 7 games to displace us. And they have to do that coming off the back of losing to back-to-back against relegation prospects and still having a game vs Fulham to negotiate (plus Derby, PNE).

Lots of chicken counting, sure, but we have plenty to be confident about right now. Not cocky, but confident. Hudds are the ones under pressure now: they simply cannot afford to drop points, especially if we bag a couple of those wins we need over the next few games.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fraid not. I'm actually quite distant and I've no idea what Nike are coming up with. Also think of the fuss if we got rid of stripes.

Isn't our contract with Nike finished this season?

Going back to the topic, we were only two points clear having played four games more than the others, so it's not really a comparison.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here