Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations Coventry City - at least we lost to the winners

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Coventry City - 43000 tickets sold - the 2nd most ever tickets sold to a single club for a match at Wembley.
Bottom of league 1, 13 points adrift, no ground owned, and we lost to the eventual winners...........all in all, would anyone actually want this date at Wembley to get in the way of the Premier League race

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I hope Dreaming Spires was there to see Coventry win

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
On that basis Wigan fans would have got 10 tickets each when they played in the Cup Final in 2013. :cool:
Maybe you should have researched a bit more before posting.

Coventry City average attendance 2016: 12.570.
Wigan Athletic average attendance 2013: 19,375.

I think somehow they'd have sold their tickets without needing to sell ten for each supporter, don't you?

el punal

Maybe you should have researched a bit more before posting.

Coventry City average attendance 2016: 12.570.
Wigan Athletic average attendance 2013: 19,375.

I think somehow they'd have sold their tickets without needing to sell ten for each supporter, don't you?

Lighten up! It was a tongue in cheek comment for Gawd's sake . . . :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Ridiculous competition that we hated when in League 2 & 1. At least the final was between two lower league teams and not a B team. Hopefully the League will rethink it, next season.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I went today. Scaved some box tickets from work because no one else was interested.

After all the ridicule the Chuckletrade trophy got (and rightly so), that final rescued the competition. The atmosphere was superb, the stadium was pretty much full (I've seen less for England internationals) and the game was entertaining albeit lacking in quality. Not quite sure how Coventry are hopelessly adrift in League 1.

We've all taken the piss out of this trophy but today I've seen what it can mean to a set of supporters and players. Instead of academy teams, they should go National league next year if they want to extend it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I went today. Scaved some box tickets from work because no one else was interested.

After all the ridicule the Chuckletrade trophy got (and rightly so), that final rescued the competition. The atmosphere was superb, the stadium was pretty much full (I've seen less for England internationals) and the game was entertaining albeit lacking in quality. Not quite sure how Coventry are hopelessly adrift in League 1.

We've all taken the piss out of this trophy but today I've seen what it can mean to a set of supporters and players. Instead of academy teams, they should go National league next year if they want to extend it.

Agree, and good for the fans having a great day out, but I am also quite happy for our youth players to get a run out against some real 'grown-up' teams.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Listening to Breakfast on BBC1 this morning and sports presenter Katherine Downes said the game was played in front if 43,000 fans.

Thought this was wrong as on Radio 5 yesterday they were saying the crowd was around 80,000 which I thought was brilliant.

Looking on the BBC website I saw it was 74,434.

D

Deleted member 2719

I don't get why people should have ridiculed the Checkatrade Trophy, surely it's just the arrogant fans that think we are above this now.

It's a good spectacle for all involved, keeps the young players sharp and gives the lower division teams potentially a chance of Wembley and silverware.

Some fans are still living in caves.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Coventry City - 43000 tickets sold - the 2nd most ever tickets sold to a single club for a match at Wembley.

Not correct. Not even close.

The crowd for Spurs v Monaco in the Champions League this season, for example, was 85,011, with over 70,000 Spurs fans. :shrug:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I don't get why people should have ridiculed the Checkatrade Trophy, surely it's just the arrogant fans that think we are above this now.

It's a good spectacle for all involved, keeps the young players sharp and gives the lower division teams potentially a chance of Wembley and silverware.

Some fans are still living in caves.

The trophy was rightly ridiculed as there were 10s of fans turning up for some games. The academy experiment was a disaster and they were lucky none of those teams spawned their way to the final. From the BBC website :

◾392 fans watched Fleetwood take on Blackburn's development squad
◾461 were at AFC Wimbledon to see them play Swansea Under-23s
◾585 watched Accrington face Crewe

As good as yesterday was, the FL need to learn from that. There is a good competition in there if they got it right and surely National League is the way to go? Sutton and Lincoln got further in the FA cup than we did and I never heard the Lincoln manager suggesting he put out the reserves in order to save his team back for promotion to the FL. Who wants to watch Blackburns development squad?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The trophy was rightly ridiculed as there were 10s of fans turning up for some games. The academy experiment was a disaster and they were lucky none of those teams spawned their way to the final. From the BBC website :

As good as yesterday was, the FL need to learn from that. There is a good competition in there if they got it right and surely National League is the way to go? Sutton and Lincoln got further in the FA cup than we did and I never heard the Lincoln manager suggesting he put out the reserves in order to save his team back for promotion to the FL. Who wants to watch Blackburns development squad?
Sure, bring in the National League - good idea.- And keep the development squads in too - I liked that.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

This - the addition of U23s is and was an utter failure. I hope we refuse the invitation next year.

Which is to take nothing away from Coventry, who deserve a day in the sun more than any team in the league at the moment. I'm delighted they won it.

D

Deleted member 2719

The JPT Trophy has always had low attendance figures especially in the early rounds.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here