Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Pub for a ploughmans lunch in West Sussex?

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
The black rabbit in arundel. Sit by the water and enjoy great food and beer.

Although I'm not sure they do a ploughman's. Been a while.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Always think a ploughman's lunch harks back to those innocent days when such a thing was considered a post-modernist twist on the two dried-up cheese rolls, one of them with onion, that always lived in a cloudy perspex upturned bowl behind the bar of a lunchtime.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

That place has turned into an understaffed dump with queues for the bar, literally snaking out the door. Food is pretty average too.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Great pub, lovely food, beautiful views, but not the location of my choice to devour a ploughman's. I think I would prefer to be gazing at open countryside from the garden, than the River Arun.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There's nothing traditional about a ploughman's - it was created by marketing men in the 60s.

Well it's certainly true that many 'plough men' and agricultural workers used to eat bread and cheese for lunch, whilst out in the fields in times of yore.

But I agree that many modern day ploughman's lunches served up in pubs, are far fancier than that.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A Ploughmans is so Home Counties.

Up here in t' Pennines in Huddersfield, after pigeon fancying and whippet racing, we're grateful for just stale bread with tripe.

Well, stale bread and cheese is the Home Counties version of stale bread and tripe, is it not? Just good old plain food to last you through to supper time.

Oh dear, 'supper' what a frightfully Home Counties term. :lol:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
That place has turned into an understaffed dump with queues for the bar, literally snaking out the door. Food is pretty average too.

The food has gone downhill in recent years. Sadly the queues are a cost of it being in a nice location and it being popular. used to be there regularly and could get a spot easily, but even the parking is impossible nowadays.

Check out The Sportsman Amberley in this thread:-

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?349952-Favourite-Sussex-views

Those views on a sunny day, you won't care about the food.
(Which was excellent, the last time I ate there)

AFAIK that's currently closed, but will be opening again soon (New owner). My sister knows them so i'll find out when etc. Tis a solid shout though as it's a lovely pub.

EDIT: Apparently it may be open around the 14th of the month, but that's not confirmed nor definite. I'll be checking it out when it is,'tis only a few mins drive from my current base.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here