Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A few random thoughts from today

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
In no particular order

1 We need Dale Stephens to sign a new contract. In the first half especially, he was excellent today. Uwe rightly gets a lot of plaudits for an excellent performance but Dale was not far behind. When you play a determined, physical team like Blackburn, you need some real steel in midfield and that's Dale produced. Not diving in, not headless chicken stuff, but controlled agression and good use of the ball. Is it to much to hope the club will announce a morale-boosting contract deal just as we near the finishing line?

2 Booing Akpom. Just feck off if you did that.

3 Not a great atmosphere today. But the South Stand gave it a go by starting a round of 'We're the South Stand...'. It would be great if this went North, West, South instead of just back and forward between the first two. Give the South a chance...

4. Was Muzza giving it a 'calm down' gesture to us after his goal? Looked like it from WSU and made me smile.

5. I like Pocognoli more than Bong. Does the simple stuff well and I feel more confident with him there.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I think Bong on top form is a much better chose personally, I think we are at our best with the Bong and Bruno running up the wings, playing one-twos and 'diagz'.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Stephens was man of the match by a country mile, consistently breaking up the opposition play

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pog didn't play well today, outfought by confident, strong opponents, gave away so many dangerous free kicks when his opponent was going nowhere. Probably ring rust. He was a class act before his injury.

Stephens is the midfield boss, covering opponents counter attacks, and a fighter if opponents try to bully us.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Pog didn't play well today, outfought by confident, strong opponents, gave away so many dangerous free kicks when his opponent was going nowhere. Probably ring rust. He was a class act before his injury.

Funnily enough, I agree - it wasn't one of his better performances, and perhaps not surprising given that he's only just back from injury. But somehow I feel he can 'manage' a poor game better than Bong - he plays the percentages whereas Bong, when not on form, gives the ball away a lot and can get caught out of position.

But - I appreciate lots of people disagree with me and would prefer Bong.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My random thought of the day is if we could get a time machine and bring in a prime Micky Small and Johnny Byrne to the team, would they make us a stronger team than we’ve got with Welbeck and Maupay?

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My random thought of the day is if we could get a time machine and bring in a prime Micky Small and Johnny Byrne to the team, would they make us a stronger team than we’ve got with than Welbeck and Maupay?
Debatable - they got us to the play-offs in the second division (IIRC correctly, it was still the second division then, before Sky invented football), so they would be good Chamionship level strikers - as was Maupay before we bought him. Welbeck is a full England international though, albeit a whie back, so realistically a class above.

Think I'd stick with the two we've got at the moment.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Small and Byrne were fabulous players and a brilliant partnership, but I think our expectations have risen in the last few years.

That said, I might fancy Mickey on for the last 10 mins if we need a goal at some point

Byrne, a fabulously balanced player, could glide around the pitch. I think the work-rate thing might annoy me now

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My random thought of the day is if we could get a time machine and bring in a prime Micky Small and Johnny Byrne to the team, would they make us a stronger team than we’ve got with than Welbeck and Maupay?

Hmmm. It might work I’d all the other teams played Championship defences. ???

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I remember Byrne being interviewed about his partnership with Small at the time.

He said it was great because one would go marauding forward during matches while the other one took a breather. Then they'd swap roles.

Not sure that's how strike partnerships work in the Premier League in 2021.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here