Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Marathon course 146m too short

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For me, the sense of pride and achievement could never outweigh the exhaustion, months of training, boredom and carnage it causes your body. It trashes your knees. I do 10 K's a couple of times a year and run regularly but a marathon? No thank you. Boring as F.

Loftslaces

Apr 6, 2016
Graffham
Strip all participants of their medals - then flay the organizers :flameboun

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Its the half marathon actually (as its says in the report), run in February.

This is being discussed on the running thread.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
For me, the sense of pride and achievement could never outweigh the exhaustion, months of training, boredom and carnage it causes your body. It trashes your knees. I do 10 K's a couple of times a year and run regularly but a marathon? No thank you. Boring as F.

In all honesty, I'm yet to come across a single post of yours which doesn't paint you as miserable and ill informed. Running does not "trash your knees" any more than any other activity. Running is about more than the run itself for a lot of people.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In all honesty, I'm yet to come across a single post of yours which doesn't paint you as miserable and ill informed. Running does not "trash your knees" any more than any other activity. Running is about more than the run itself for a lot of people.

If you run incorrectly, as most people do, it can cause a lot of damage to knees and other skeletal structures. I used to be a rehabilitation fitness instructor. I know what I'm talking about. I also did not say "running trashes your knees" I said running marathons trashes your knees. It does. I run a lot, I enjoy it. Marathons are not good for the average person. I'm sorry if your opinion of running doesn't match mine but that doesn't make me ill informed or miserable. Thank you.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot see what difference it makes other than attempting a record etc. As far as a half marathon is concerned most so called half marathons are not anywhere near 13 miles, most are about 10 miles or thereabouts.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I cannot see what difference it makes other than attempting a record etc. As far as a half marathon is concerned most so called half marathons are not anywhere near 13 miles, most are about 10 miles or thereabouts.

Given the amount of people who run half marathons with GPS watches these days I'm surprised that the first I've heard about these 10 mile half marathons is from you. I also think people would notice if they weren't running for quite as long as they were expecting, like by 20 minutes or more!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
i cannot see what difference it makes other than attempting a record etc. as far as a half marathon is concerned most so called half marathons are not anywhere near 13 miles, most are about 10 miles or thereabouts.

sauce ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot think of anything more boring than running for mile upon mile but some people I know do this religously and it those who have told me of such events. One was in Worthing which apparently was 7 miles as I was told, I dont know for sure only what I was told. The same person told me that any race of over about 6 miles are usually advertised as a half marathon.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

I have run plenty of half Marathons, I've also run 10 mile races.

I can tell the difference.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I cannot think of anything more boring than running for mile upon mile but some people I know do this religously and it those who have told me of such events. One was in Worthing which apparently was 7 miles as I was told, I dont know for sure only what I was told. The same person told me that any race of over about 6 miles are usually advertised as a half marathon.

Sorry but thats Rubbish. You get 10 miles races such as the Great South Run. I have run worthing half marathon and it was 13.1 miles last year! Just over 6 miles is called a 10k!! Some local village runs will not be 100% accurate but the big events will be pretty close (should be spot on). Events such as Brighton HM (and marathon) monitored by the IAA , hence why Brighton has now been picked as being wrong. The Manchestr Marathon was 300+ meters short a couple of years ago.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here