Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ricky Gervais 'Dead Babies' Joke

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody know what the actual joke was?

Good to give the comedian the benefit of the doubt. Like Frankie Boyle is always a hoot, especially when getting up the noses of sacred cows.

But 'Dead Babies'? REALLY? ???

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He has joked about Anne Frank, those that died in WW1, Hiroshima, drug deaths etc. He didn't put his joke on twitter or say it on The One Show. He said it at a live gig. He's not shouting these jokes through people's letterboxes.
Basically people love offensive jokes until it comes round to something they find sacred. Ridiculous.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sounds like its a raw nerve to a couple who walked out. cue big brouhaha, but if we got rid of all jokes that might offend someone, there wouldn't be a lot of comedy left.

from the couple:
Suzi told Belfast Live it was a gag she "wouldn't have expected in a million years from anybody" adding: "I just think 'Why? What is the need?' This is our life - we have no choice but to live with this.

it wasn't about you. and i'd go to a Gervais gig expecting some pretty controversial comment and jokes being made.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
sounds like its a sensitive subject to a couple who walked out. cue big brouhaha, but if we got rid of all jokes that might offend someone, there wouldn't be a lot of comedy left

'Ere did you hear the one about the dead babies? Where's me washboard?

latest

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He has joked about Anne Frank, those that died in WW1 Hiroshima, drug deaths etc. He didn't put his joke on twitter or say it on The One Show. He said it at a live gig. He's not shouting these jokes through people's letterboxes.
Basically people love offensive jokes until it comes round to something they find sacred. Ridiculous.

WW2. I suppose dying of typhoid in a concentration camp must be hilarious.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
WW2. I suppose dying of typhoid in a concentration camp must be hilarious.

I was referring to his John McCrae joke, Flanders field and all that. Written in 1915 (the poem, not the joke) which if my calculations are correct is some 23 years before the outbreak of WW2.

I made no comment of the hilarity of his humour just the hypocrisy of attending his gig to hear him say offensive things just as long as it's not about a subject they find offensive.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I was referring to his John McCrae joke, Flanders field and all that. Written in 1915 (the poem, not the joke) which if my calculations are correct is some 23 years before the outbreak of WW2.

An extra comma would have helped for clarity.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
An extra comma would have helped for clarity.

What on earth are you on about?

Edit. I see. I think most normal people would figure out it's just a missing comma and not that I thought Hiroshima occurred in WW1. But we know you like to make your little points so I'll forgive you this time.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
If you go to shows of this ilk, comedians nowadays push the boundaries and you ought to expect it.
Unfortunate if your personal situation makes you more sensitive to some subjects but that's life.
On a lesser note, was DJing at a mate's party once at his house, put on some song and the host's best mate ran out screaming and crying. Apparently reminded her of her deceased Dad.
How was I to know? :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If you go to shows of this ilk, comedians nowadays push the boundaries and you ought to expect it.
Unfortunate if your personal situation makes you more sensitive to some subjects but that's life.
On a lesser note, was DJing at a mate's party once at his house, put on some song and the host's best mate ran out screaming and crying. Apparently reminded her of her deceased Dad.
How was I to know? :shrug:

Heartless b4stard.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't believe in offense. "I'm offended". So? Nothing bad will happen to you.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Never found the guy funny, just an attention seeker

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Has anyone ever joked about the titanic? I doubt that was hilarious either.

We're humans. We need humour to get through things, it doesn't mean we don't empathise.

I believe the first joke about the Titanic was " How's the iceberg?" , which didn't go down very well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here