Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Barbeque - recomendations

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Well its that time of year, but unfortunately my old BBQ has had it's day, and it's time to invest in a new one. I'm a charcoal BBQ person, so no gas recommendations please. Budget is arround £200-£250. Currently at the head of my list is this one as Webers always seem to be good.

bbq.JPG

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Make one. I did and so much better than any shop bought one. Materials cost about 50, salvaged the grill and other bits. You get so much more for your money.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Well its that time of year, but unfortunately my old BBQ has had it's day, and it's time to invest in a new one. I'm a charcoal BBQ person, so no gas recommendations please. Budget is arround £200-£250. Currently at the head of my list is this one as Webers always seem to be good.

View attachment 83381

We got a Weber kettle last spring from Wyevale - it may have even been that model, but in black.

It's amazing - really well made, and with the temp sensor built into the lid I can keep a constant temp simply by adjusting the airflow. it's tall enough to fit a large chicken in sat atop a can of beer for 'beer can chicken'. It cleans up easily, and doesn't seem to suffer from rust. Well worth it.

Edit: Actually I think our one is the next model up, as it has more sturdy legs and an ash catching tray which sits between the legs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tepro-Toronto-Charcoal-Barbecue-with-Thermometer.jpg

This is my one. Got it in Asda for around £120 about 3-4 years ago and its still going strong, I LOVE it. Its got a raised warming rack over the main grill, and that little silver bit on the left leg - its only a ruddy BOTTLE opener. Brilliant. The coals sit on an adjustable platform you can wind up and down with that handle on the right.

I don't like those Weber kettle ones very much. I much prefer an oblong shape, and the warming rack is pretty much essential for me, which you don't usually get on a kettle jobbie.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire

View attachment 83381

I'd agree with this - I upgraded my Weber last year. I use charcoal too. It gives you a lot of flexibility - you can do roasts, smoke fish etc

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
We got a Weber kettle last spring from Wyevale - it may have even been that model, but in black.

It's amazing - really well made, and with the temp sensor built into the lid I can keep a constant temp simply by adjusting the airflow. it's tall enough to fit a large chicken in sat atop a can of beer for 'beer can chicken'. It cleans up easily, and doesn't seem to suffer from rust. Well worth it.

Edit: Actually I think our one is the next model up, as it has more sturdy legs and an ash catching tray which sits between the legs.

I thought this was the top one. I think all the ash falls into the 'bin' underneath and you just unhook it and take it away. Could be wrong...

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
The Weber ones can include a pizza stone, but they are blooming expensive, and you need to get a different grill rack with a space in the middle.

Yep, I've found a site that does a free griddle for the middle circle, but the pizza stone is £50. Still would be tempted, but not in the same month!

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
I've been looking at the Landmann Kentucky Smoker recently, would anyone recommend it?
bbq.jpg

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
I have got this model. It is bloody fantastic.

Me too - bought it last summer. No regrets at all. Mine was about £220 and its got the removable central circular part of the grill where you can drop in the other attachments like wok, pizza stone etc. I find if you want to do a beer can chicken when its on the stand the chicken can be a little tall for the lid. By removing the central piece you can drop the chicken another 6" and this ensure the lid opens and closes well.

Make sure you get the chimney starter as it fires the BBQ up so fast.

I meant to put the BBQ under its cover and winter it in the shed but I never got round to it. Lifted the lid on it at the weekend expecting rusty grill wire etc. but it still looks mint. Definitely worth paying the money for a Weber.

One thing I found is the charcoal quality varies wildly. The crap in the supermarket couldn't even get the temperature gauge to the hot setting - use the Weber branded stuff- it may cost a bit more but its worth it. Also go for Webers Complete Barbecue Book - the recipes are really good and it gives a lot of info on how to cook with a kettle BBQ as you need to understand how to smoke with it, cook with direct and indirect heat, water and use different woods to get the maximum out of it.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've blown the budget on an Indian Fire Bowl, search google. Mine is 70 cm wide and doubles as a bbq & fire pit. Comes with tall & low stand, iron "teepee" with bowl, cover and extras. £335 but worth every penny.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Weber all the way, brilliant bits of kit.

Although, if you want something a bit different try an Aquaforno, does much the same as a Weber plus it has a pizza stone, you can cook bread in it, hot and cold smoke, roast, BBQ, grill, and it even makes you a cup of tea (or gluhwein). And it's portable so you can take it out and about with you, I love mine, the pic was from when I smoked cheese, garlic and boiled eggs at Xmas.

15249ce54c86bb1c0c7bbfa0f98a25d4.jpg

5e7bf435bc44efea3347baca53b3a146.jpg

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I've blown the budget on an Indian Fire Bowl, search google. Mine is 70 cm wide and doubles as a bbq & fire pit. Comes with tall & low stand, iron "teepee" with bowl, cover and extras. £335 but worth every penny.

Yes i've seen these and really like them, however size-wise they not right for the space i have to work with

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Used one of these last night - it does the job!

View attachment 83391

These are amazing, and just the thing for the beach. Huge amounts of heat, albeit small amounts of room for food.

The alternative is to over-invest in some metallic thing that will sit in the garden unused for 97.5% of the year and be binned as rust the following year. Or do as the Aussies do and build a brick-based structure with a removeable metal grille that will last forever.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
These are amazing, and just the thing for the beach. Huge amounts of heat, albeit small amounts of room for food.

The alternative is to over-invest in some metallic thing that will sit in the garden unused for 97.5% of the year and be binned as rust the following year. Or do as the Aussies do and build a brick-based structure with a removeable metal grille that will last forever.

I have approximately 7 BBQs, all made of metal, and in regular use year round generally. A by of rust here and there but nothing to stop them being used to make delicious food things in and on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here