Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question About Free Antivirus Software.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Dear learned NSC folk, I will be getting a new laptop soon. I've always installed McAfee antivirus software, but some people I've spoken to said it is a waste of money, and free stuff like AVG is fine.
Should I continue with McAfee which I've been very happy with or should I just use a free one and save a few quid?
Has anyone had any bad experiences with a free one?
Has anyone been using the same one for years with no problems?
Any sensible advice would be most welcome. (Yes, I have turned it off and turned it on again!)
Thank you.

Last edited:

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I've found avast good in the past.

Currently not using any as it slows my computer down too much & I don't visit any dodgy sites..

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Long as you're not visiting seriously dubious sites you will be fine with Microsoft's built in security essentials or whatever its called now and an occasional scan of the free version of malwarebytes.

As well as keeing regular backs ups of any important information.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Long as you're not visiting seriously dubious sites you will be fine with Microsoft's built in security essentials or whatever its called now and an occasional scan of the free version of malwarebytes.

For the everyday punter, this is the case. Defender is fine, and uses minimal resources.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've used AVG for many years with no issues. I've also used Malwarebytes to clear other people's computers for them and as an occasional double check on mine.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
You are fine with McAfee all the main AVs are of a similar level my only objection with McAfee is with paying for it so if getting if for free stick with it just remember in this day the malware protection is probably more relivant than anti virus so ensure that is covered.

Kaspersky is an interesting one with its Russian links.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've switched between paid-for options and free options in the past and honestly I've not noticed any major differences in protection levels. Avast is very good. I like that you can link the desktop version with the mobile version so, should your phone ever get lost or stolen, you can access the phone via your computer and wipe the data from it.

I'm currently using Avira because it's a bit less bulky than Avast, not such a resource hog on startup.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

My IT guru gave me similar advice. Said the Windows Defender stuff is perfectly adequate alongside other free malware programmes and so on.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I am going to use a brilliantly pointless analogy here, just for the fun of it. McAfee and the like are like Kellogs Coco Pops. There are equally good supermarket own brands (for this read AVG, Avast etc) for considerbaly less money (i.e. free). With Coco Pops a large part of the cover price is to fund the TV advertising/brand awareness.

I have no idea why i did that, possibly due to getting no sleep at all last night.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Have used malwarebytes for many years but the latest update resulted in BSOD with bad pool header messages and cost a working day tracking down the cause .

adwcleaner 6.044 still runs fine though

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
topically, Mcafee is currently killing my work machine. upgraded last week and it appears aggressive on scanning online content, so if i have page with ads or dynamic content, machine crawls. #avoidMcAfee

Sulcy

Sep 23, 2015
McAfee isn't great any more.. Same with AVG. You'll get a lot of pop up asking you to upgrade to the paid version which gets irritating.
As others have said, if you've got windows 10 you should be fine with the built in Windows defender but if you want to play it safe go for Avast.

what ever you do though, do not have two separate antivirus' running! It will bring your computer to a crawl.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
For the everyday punter, this is the case. Defender is fine, and uses minimal resources.

Very much this. I ran AVG for years but it seriously slowed down Windows 10. After reading a few expert reviews it turns out the built in Windows Defender is as good as most out there. I run Defender now and the slow down in performance has been given a serious boost on my desktop and laptop.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks everybody for the advice.
How I understand some of the replies, it seems that you may not need additional antivirus software if running Windows 10?
Avast has got several thumbs up. If I use this, would I need to disable the built-in Windows software or do they run together?
Are "Dubious" websites adult ones, or more sinister? I ask this as an adult!
I look forwards to any responses. Thanks.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I've used AVG for many years with no issues. I've also used Malwarebytes to clear other people's computers for them and as an occasional double check on mine.

Exactly the route I have taken. Use AVG and have also installed Malwarebytes. Seems to give me more confidence at keeping nasties at bay.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
You don't pay to get viruses, you shouldn't have to pay to get rid of them. Windows essentials or defender is good enough, I prefer panda security. Malwarebytes also gets my vote

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here