Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk - Russia 2018?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Lewis Dunk? Possible England CB? Let's face it, with or without us he is Premier league next year. Anyway, Skybet have priced up Russia 2018 squad.

Given how bad our Centre half's are ( chris Smalling = pub) 33-1 to make the Russia squad, well, I've seen worse bets albeit it's not one I'm expecting to collect on. Good luck if you fancy a punt.

https://www.skybet.com/football/specials/england-specials

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I think Lewis has the ability however he simply needs to prove himself against the best players in the country.

Fingers crossed that's with the Albion if not he needs to move and command a regular spot in a Premier side.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Chris Wood, yes that's CHRIS WOOD out-manoeuvred him at Leeds. Long way to go yet.

Not exactly as the ball was pulled back from the area Dunk was covering. I think too much emphasis is being put on to Wood and not enough on the quality of the cross to him.

However, Dunk appears to be behind Keane and Gibson in the pecking order but who knows what a good 17/18 season in The Premier will show.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Chris Wood, yes that's CHRIS WOOD out-manoeuvred him at Leeds. Long way to go yet.

Yep, long way to go and assuming Lewis is playing PL we will find out how good he really is. He might be made to look a mug.

That said, Excluding overround he is priced up as a 3% chance to make the squad. Surely that's worth a tenner? Michael Keane was nowhere near the England set up this time last year.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
This is getting silly now, he's mastered the Championship but he's never competed in the Premier League.

He's behind Keane and he's behind Gibson, Maguire and obviously Stones plus Smalling, Jones and Cahill.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yep, long way to go and assuming Lewis is playing PL we will find out how good he really is. He might be made to look a mug.

That said, Excluding overround he is priced up as a 3% chance to make the squad. Surely that's worth a tenner? Michael Keane was nowhere near the England set up this time last year.
Definitely worth a tenner.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This is getting silly now, he's mastered the Championship but he's never competed in the Premier League.

He's behind Keane and he's behind Gibson, Maguire and obviously Stones plus Smalling, Jones and Cahill.

Agree, a long way to go

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

No doubt behind our former defender Cook as well.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
To be honest, Chris Wood has more chance of playing for England than Lewis Dunk, and he's a New Zealander. Whilst Dunk is probably one of the best centre backs we have had, he is a long way short of International football. If he gets that number of bookings in the Championship, he will spend most of his time suspended in the Premier League.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
No doubt behind our former defender Cook as well.

I like Steve Cook, and I think the only difference is Premier League experience. I would suggest that Dunk will be on the fringe of the squad next season if he scores a few goals and doesn't make any silly mistakes. He will be in the Premier League next season, hopefully for us but if not then I see him as perfect for Southampton. They will sell Van Dijk in the summer and they'll want Dunk whether we've gone up or not.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
To be honest, Chris Wood has more chance of playing for England than Lewis Dunk, and he's a New Zealander. Whilst Dunk is probably one of the best centre backs we have had, he is a long way short of International football. If he gets that number of bookings in the Championship, he will spend most of his time suspended in the Premier League.

This, unfortunately.

Very strong and able player at this level but my concerni is him establishing himself at a higher level rather than making the England squad. I can see the former possibly happening but not the latter.

Of the current squad, if Solly continues to develop I could see him in there one day- but possibly with another team in the top flight. Just seeing things through objective eyes.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Rickie Lambert 2014
Theo Walcott 2006
Tom Huddlestone 2010

3 players who made England tournament squads, who, should never have got anywhere near (Theo was 17 at the time and hadn't played for Arsenal).

Is Dunk better than Stones and Cahill? Nope. Will he make the squad? Probably not. Could he make the squad with injuries and a run of form in the PL? Yep.

Not the worst 33-1 shot and besides which he's one of our own. Collecting would be all the sweeter.

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
They scored the first goal BG, we lost. I feel, and hope, that Mr Duffy would not have given Wood the same luxury.

Hmm, not so sure. It was Duffy who let Jutcewitz go for Birmingham's first goal earlier in the season, a very similar goal to Wood's. But both were high quality crosses and headers.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Unless he can eliminate the yellows that he collects all too frequently he will always be a liability in tournament football.

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
Rickie Lambert 2014
Theo Walcott 2006
Tom Huddlestone 2010

3 players who made England tournament squads, who, should never have got anywhere near (Theo was 17 at the time and hadn't played for Arsenal).

Is Dunk better than Stones and Cahill? Nope. Will he make the squad? Probably not. Could he make the squad with injuries and a run of form in the PL? Yep.

Not the worst 33-1 shot and besides which he's one of our own. Collecting would be all the sweeter.

Harsh on Lambert who was in form and clearly fourth choice striker at the time (though his career has tailspun since)

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Euro 2004 CBS

Campbell
Terry
Carragher
Ferdinand

All at thier prime.

Shows how backwards we've gone in that department.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Might have a cheeky tenner on that :thumbsup:

What about Stocks? Gotta be in with a shout IF he's playing Prem football? Odds? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here