Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just saw my first Video Ref decision...

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
France vs Spain. France scored then man upstairs had a word. A pretty good advertisement for video officials. It took about 20 seconds to clear up, and prevented the award of a goal despite an offside that the on-field officials had missed. The future is coming closer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
France vs Spain. France scored then man upstairs had a word. A pretty good advertisement for video officials. It took about 20 seconds to clear up, and prevented the award of a goal despite an offside that the on-field officials had missed. The future is coming closer.

Yep. Quick, simple and the right decision made.......

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
now it's given a goal that was orginally ruled off side

a very good one at that

Spain 2-0

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I have now seen my second...again correct.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

God?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Great news as far as I'm concerned. I hope one day that all penalties get referred to a video panel with the added power to give an opinion on whether the attacking player took a dive or not.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The problem will be that every offside decision will be contested once the technology is there.

Makes the linesmen redundant and will massively slow down the game unless there is a limit to appeals similar to tennis.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Hold on, is this the first time it has been used and there are two decisions changed correctly due to video? Sounds like a fixed match to me..

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton can still lay claim to the very first referee intervention by a 4th official though: Barnes getting sent off against Burnley. I've never forgiven Pawson for that game.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The problem will be that every offside decision will be contested once the technology is there.

Makes the linesmen redundant and will massively slow down the game unless there is a limit to appeals similar to tennis.

Disagree - using cricket as the comparison - umpire makes a decision and fielding captain or batters have 10 seconds to "refer" the decision to video umpire. If they have two referrals that don't overrule the umpire, that's it [so refer wisely - not every time]

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Disagree - using cricket as the comparison - umpire makes a decision and fielding captain or batters have 10 seconds to "refer" the decision to video umpire. If they have two referrals that don't overrule the umpire, that's it [so refer wisely - not every time]

I guess the problem is the nature of the referral. In cricket and rugby the passage of play has finished at point of referral. Decisions can be made or corrected as well as some restorative action. In football the scenario would be different. The passage of play has to be allowed to continue for the technology to be effective. I can see issues. If a linesman calls offside for a movement that clearly isn't play cannot be restored to its original point and can only be correctly judged if the referee uses the call as advisory.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Brighton can still lay claim to the very first referee intervention by a 4th official though: Barnes getting sent off against Burnley. I've never forgiven Pawson for that game.

Wasn't it Vincelot who got sent off due to the 4th official? (he saw him land a crafty - but very soft - punch on one of their players). Barnes was Pawson's decision. The oppo player almost broke his leg and when Barnes came down somehow Pawson came to the decision that Ashley had stamped on him. The Burnley player wasn't even booked.

haardman

Jul 29, 2005
According to the Sun they have been given four areas to focus on:

Deciding on whether or not a goal should count
Penalty decisions
Direct red cards
Correcting the identity of a penalised player

So I don't think that extends to appealing an offside (unless a goal was directly scored from the aforementioned offside). I suppose there may be marginal cases where the defenders 'stop' because they think a player is offside, but that player goes on to score and is retrospectively proved to be onside. Hopefully it would mean that as defenders grow to trust the system they would just get on with their job instead of stopping to appeal to the ref/assistant all the time.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Wasn't it Vincelot who got sent off due to the 4th official? (he saw him land a crafty - but very soft - punch on one of their players). Barnes was Pawson's decision. The oppo player almost broke his leg and when Barnes came down somehow Pawson came to the decision that Ashley had stamped on him. The Burnley player wasn't even booked.

Yes. You're spot on and I got it wrong. Well remembered. We could have done with a 4th official intervention at Withdean when that ref gave Bournemouth a penalty against Dunk before the free-kick had been taken. I seem to recall that the 4th official knew that the ref had made a blunder but was powerless to intervene.

D

Deleted member 2719

I would like the video decision to go one step further, when the ref gets it wrong the fans get a chance to push a button which remotely generates an electric shot to the ref in question.
The Complete And Utter Shyster would now be toast. :)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Just reading about this, didn't see the game. Sounds like the perfect advertisement for video technology.

In fact a bit too perfect if you ask me...

(always wanted to start my own conspiracy theory)

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Thin edge of the wedge. You hear all these experts saying that we have to have technology in the game but once it's in it's in and within a couple of years every throw in, corner etc etc will be referred to video playback.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Wasn't it The Complete And Utter Shyster who was taken in by Gaston Ramirez's shin pad technology, loads of video playback there :cool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here