Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's App and others, encryption

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'm sorry but the example of supporting a football team as ever being subversive is ridiculous. Nor am I sure what historical events can be evidenced to suggest that providing a level of access under condition led to some abusive governemental behaviour.

Maybe someone else has mentioned that football fans in general were treated as scum by Thatcher's government, and there are/were a number of laws that pretty much only applied to football fans.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It's not a road we should go down but we will. The government doesn't start making noises about this kind of thing without the end intention being to achieve full access to our private date and exchanges.

This. Can you imagine if the Government had access to our social media contacts? "Six degrees of separation" would suggest that half of NSC users may have connections to Khalid Masood, via Facebook or Twitter or other apps. Yes, of course you'd still be "innocent" (probably), but can you imagine a (future) government not abusing that information?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I do not use whatsapp but if I did I would have no objection to the security services being able to read the messages, but that is only me.

Can you pm me your bank details, usernames and passwords, because you clearly have nothing to hide? I am, of course completely trustworthy.

Or better still post them on open view here?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
It is an utterly ridiculous and naive argument. You cant blame a communication method or the company that provides that method, for the data that's sent over it. Can you imagine how many terrorists would use Whatsapp once it was announced it had a backdoor built into it (rendering the whole exercise of putting the backdoor in pointless).

Those that have suggested that the security services can probably crack the encryption anyway are barking up the wrong tree. Encryption is pretty simple and is based on mathematical principles which mean that if you're not in possession of the decryption key, your not going to be able to figure it out, given the current limitations of computing power and the length of time it would take.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
The US government's airport security force, the TSA, designed a key that could open a specific TSA lock which you've probably seen on some suitcases. The design meant that if they wanted to, they could unlock your suitcase without breaking your lock and you could open it with a combination. Nothing to hide nothing to fear, right? Except someone managed to 3D print a copy of the key and made it public. Now anybody can open the lock.

THIS is what will happen if you give the government a backdoor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here